Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Apr 27, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #736 of 3,350
I really appreciate all this feedback

Ii love my hec dac for my hd800 with my woo wa2. I have found the ether flow open to be pretty similar (in a goid way) with the hd800

Anyone using the lyr3 with the hifiman efition x?

Apr 27, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #737 of 3,350
And one other question: am i right in thinking that the multibit dac in the lyr the same level dac as having the modi attached?

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:04 PM Post #738 of 3,350
And one other question: am i right in thinking that the multibit dac in the lyr the same level dac as having the modi attached?
I've read elsewhere that it's not the same. Given how good the Lyr 3 is as an amp, I'd go for the best DAC you could afford, not the internal DAC card.

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:07 PM Post #740 of 3,350
Apr 27, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #741 of 3,350
Apr 27, 2018 at 7:15 PM Post #743 of 3,350
What’s that have to do w a dac being different? It’s the same dac period, schiit has said so many times, it just doesn’t have the connectivity options as the stand alone units for obvious reasons.
The basic DAC circuitry may be the same, but overall SQ also depends on input. In my experience, Schiit Gen 2 is quite a bit worse than S/PDIF into the same Schiit DAC. Schiit Gen 5 is another story, but it is not available for the smaller Schiit multibit DACs.

Apr 27, 2018 at 10:26 PM Post #744 of 3,350
May i ask what’s the general sound coming from the lyr3 and/or it’s two dac options

I’m looking for an amp that will play very nicely with an elear, work well with the he x edition (i’m worried it may be TOO laid back as an option) and could well work with an lcd 2 too

I’ve also considered the cayin iha6 and buraon virtuoso v2+

Detail does not have to be exceptional but good. My main setup is a woo wa2 for my hd800 and lcd2

And I’m not aure which way to go for my elear amd potentially the he x

Thanks
Insofar as the LCD-2 I couldn't recommend a better pairing. I also have a Liquid Carbon X and I prefer the Lyr 3 with the LCD. Holographic soundstage combined with near perfect timbre (to my ears). I would label it just slightly warm compared to neutral, while still retaining all the detail you could desire, as well as a punchy bass though not emphasized. It's essentially perfect for my sonic preferences.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #745 of 3,350
I wouldn't call the Lyr 3 laid back at all. I think it's a detail monster and would pair well with most R2R/NOS dacs.

I’m also using R2R DACs, and an adjective I wouldn’t use in describing the Lyr 3 is “laidback,” more like excellent macro and micro dynamics, good to great soundstage depending on the tube used, and great tone would be more appropriate IMO.

Apr 27, 2018 at 11:41 PM Post #746 of 3,350
Apr 28, 2018 at 7:32 AM Post #748 of 3,350
I am getting a wide and deep soundstage with my KenRad (staggered plates) and RCA grey glass (early 40's VT-231). The reverb on the RCA, and euphonics on the KenRad, make both unique in their own way, but both are wide, deep and very holographic.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 7:48 AM Post #749 of 3,350
Tube suggestions for great soundstage?

I haven't tried any of the most desirable Sylvanias, but the champ in this area for me (so far) is the Russian Melz factory 6H8C (6N8S).

Apr 28, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #750 of 3,350
I agree with both ProfFalkin and Wildcatsare1, I've just started listening to the LYR3 with the stock Tung-Sol (with about 75 hours on it) and it is anything but laidback in its presentation. This is my first exposure to the sound of the 6SN7 and it is nothing like the the HP amps I have built around the 6DJ8 or 12AU7 types which are much more similar to my ears, and with the right tubes I can get them to sound surprisingly like my Ragnarok with my HP's. At this point I've only listened to it with my Abyss and the stock tube but I've got 7 other 6SN7's to break-in and listen to, as well as 4 other headphones, not to mention head to head comparisons with my other HP amps. This is gonna' take some time to do.

Images seem larger than with my other amps, almost like I've moved my listening position closer to the musicians. But not forward, like say, my Jotunheim (which is what I bought the Loki for). The LYR3 is very good at subtle detail reveals. It has good extension at the frequency extremes, never sounds stressed in dynamic, complex music, and vocals are striking. The one thing lacking so far is the reproduction of the ambient air sound of the recording venue compared to my other amps, the hall sound. But, I've got a lot of tube rolling and breaking-in to do.

I'm going to need a long time, months for sure, to go through all the possible combinations and come to any conclusion for myself.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back