Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Apr 28, 2018 at 8:09 AM Post #751 of 3,356
And for thosee of us (ie me) that have a lot of favourable 6dj8/6922 tubes would your advice be to just grab an adapter to use these with the lyr 3 (i believe on the schiit site it says most of these tubea could be used, whatever that exactly means - i can contact schiit latwr for specifics) or to grab some 6sn7? Do they bring sonething unique or special?

Apr 28, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #752 of 3,356
No, my position is to use the tube type the circuit was primarily designed to utilize. I won't be going the adapter route. The only exception I've made is the GE NOS 6922 for my MJ2 because the installed adapter seems to be integral and it was reasonably priced (and sounds good to my ears). But sure, go ahead, experiment if you like. My (expensive) Tele's and Amperex's are just for my MJ2.

One reason I bought the LYR3 was to hear to hear a different way of presenting the sound compared to my other amps. Choosing tubes to get all my gear to sound identical would be like having a closet full of nothing but long-sleeve, white, dress shirts to wear.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 9:09 AM Post #753 of 3,356
I am getting a wide and deep soundstage with my KenRad (staggered plates) and RCA grey glass (early 40's VT-231). The reverb on the RCA, and euphonics on the KenRad, make both unique in their own way, but both are wide, deep and very holographic.

From your description (staggered plates), the Ken-Rad I have is different (flat, ribbed plates), but it is one of my top 3 tubes in the Lyr so far. Very balanced in its' presentation. Not exemplary at anything, but good at everything.

KR1.jpg

KR2.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #754 of 3,356
That is a later production year, than mine. I believe from 1951. Mine are all from the 40's. Cool to hear you like that one!

Apr 28, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #755 of 3,356
I bought and have the adapter for my 5670/2c51's to 6SN7, for my Lyr 3, but I am enjoying my RCA and KenRad 6SN7GT's so much I have not even thought about trying the adapter. I am not totally sure it is even a direct replacement, after reading, a few more times, the Schiit website info. I look forward to hearing future reviews on the subject.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 11:46 AM Post #756 of 3,356
@bcowen @Wes S @ProfFalkin @winders Thank you for the NOS tube suggestions! From yours and other recommendations elsewhere, looks like I'm in the hunt for a Ken-Rad VT-231 and a Sylvania "Bad Boy" for my initial tube rolling stash...

Apr 28, 2018 at 12:09 PM Post #757 of 3,356
@bcowen @Wes S @ProfFalkin @winders Thank you for the NOS tube suggestions! From yours and other recommendations elsewhere, looks like I'm in the hunt for a Ken-Rad VT-231 and a Sylvania "Bad Boy" for my initial tube rolling stash...

Good luck in your search! The Ken-Rads are not as plentiful out there, but not insanely priced for the most part. Be careful on the Sylvanias, especially on Ebay. Lots of sellers referring to any old Sylvania as a "Bad Boy" when most of them aren't. A true Bad Boy will be 1951 - 1953 vintage with 3 rivet holes in black t-shaped plates,and green lettering on the base. But that just defines what that coined phrase refers to -- most any Sylvania made in the 50's or early 60's is going to be a really nice tube. Just don't pay huge bucks for a tube claimed to be a Bad Boy that isn't.

Apr 28, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #758 of 3,356
Good luck in your search! The Ken-Rads are not as plentiful out there, but not insanely priced for the most part. Be careful on the Sylvanias, especially on Ebay. Lots of sellers referring to any old Sylvania as a "Bad Boy" when most of them aren't. A true Bad Boy will be 1951 - 1953 vintage with 3 rivet holes in black t-shaped plates,and green lettering on the base. But that just defines what that coined phrase refers to -- most any Sylvania made in the 50's or early 60's is going to be a really nice tube. Just don't pay huge bucks for a tube claimed to be a Bad Boy that isn't.
Thanks for the advice! I'm starting by contacting Brent Jessee @ audiotubes.com, who has a solid reputation in the NOS world.

Apr 28, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #759 of 3,356
I wouldn't call the Lyr 3 laid back at all. I think it's a detail monster and would pair well with most R2R/NOS dacs.
Agree, i find mine (no modules, input from 4490 Bifrost) very detailed with all three tubes I’ve tried (both 6N8S NOS and 6SN7 Tung Sol from Schiit, and Electro Harmonix 6SN7). Only thing I haven’t tried yet is LISST. Wanted to get initial impressions from tubes first. But detail is impressive with all the tubes.

Apr 28, 2018 at 1:36 PM Post #760 of 3,356
Apr 28, 2018 at 3:15 PM Post #761 of 3,356
@winders beat me too it, both of the Sylvanias, I’d add the Mullards (if you can find one).
Had a quick look for the Mullards, way in the price stratosphere :wink:

BTW, the Reiner/CSO 1993 digital/SACD remaster of their 1955 recording of Bartók's Concerto for Orchestra shows what the Lyr 3 is capable: goosebump-inducing dynamics, timbre, staging, accurate orchestral instrument placement. Having listened to this piece many times both recorded and live, this as good as it gets without being there on a great seat with a great orchestra and concert hall. The first movement's interplay of strings and brass is superbly rendered in space and dynamics.

Apr 28, 2018 at 3:31 PM Post #762 of 3,356
Thanks for the advice! I'm starting by contacting Brent Jessee @ audiotubes.com, who has a solid reputation in the NOS world.

Brent Jesse is where I try and buy all my tubes, everything I’ve gotten from him are great, just be aware he sells 2holes as badboys too, and has listed for a slightly higher(but still fair price) 3 hole bad boys, so make sure you explain exactly what you want and pay the proper price, I believe they’re 75$ which compared to eBay listings is practically free.

Apr 28, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #763 of 3,356
Brent Jesse is where I try and buy all my tubes, everything I’ve gotten from him are great, just be aware he sells 2holes as badboys too, and has listed for a slightly higher(but still fair price) 3 hole bad boys, so make sure you explain exactly what you want and pay the proper price, I believe they’re 75$ which compared to eBay listings is practically free.
I thought $250 for a single bad boy was quite reasonable. It has a brown base, top getter, and was made in '66... Even though it doesn't say Sylvania on it, it does have 3 holes on the plates.

(Yeah, gotta love fraudBay.)

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #764 of 3,356
I thought $250 for a single bad boy was quite reasonable. It has a brown base, top getter, and was made in '66... Even though it doesn't say Sylvania on it, it does have 3 holes on the plates.

(Yeah, gotta love fraudBay.)

LOL!!

I like the (unknown vintage) GE's for $200...but that's a whole pair. To be a good deal with an accurate description, they'd need to remove one of the zeros from the price, and remove the 'Boy' after 'Bad.' But to be fair, I have a bias on GE tubes....I think they all suck. :relaxed:

Apr 28, 2018 at 6:11 PM Post #765 of 3,356
Had a quick look for the Mullards, way in the price stratosphere :wink:

BTW, the Reiner/CSO 1993 digital/SACD remaster of their 1955 recording of Bartók's Concerto for Orchestra shows what the Lyr 3 is capable: goosebump-inducing dynamics, timbre, staging, accurate orchestral instrument placement. Having listened to this piece many times both recorded and live, this as good as it gets without being there on a great seat with a great orchestra and concert hall. The first movement's interplay of strings and brass is superbly rendered in space and dynamics.

LOL! I went and got my copy and listened to it and your absolutely spot on. I was surprised at how much subtle detailing this LYR 3 lets through with the stock tube. The weight and body of bowed or plucked basses and cellos, the clarity of complex inner voices revealed, the honest perspective without highlighting, the sense of distance between the front row of musicians and the back rows of horns and percussion, the absolute lack of any glare or brightness in the highs at dynamic peaks. Also, the hall ambience is perfect. I think this may be the first time I've heard everything that the recording engineers were able to capture. A real treat, especially with a recording I've listened to hundreds of times over the years that I thought I knew every nook and cranny of.

Going to give a listen to Rachmaninoff's Symphonic Dances later on; Turnabout with Johanos and the Dallas Symphony. Got two lines of thunderstorms on radar that are coming thru over the next hour, best to shut things down until they pass.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back