Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Apr 27, 2018 at 3:09 AM Post #721 of 3,356
I'll add my middle finger towards Duke, and we'll be in stereo.

But I'll also have to change my login name to TarHeelsare1. :smile:
Middle finger is always at Duke.

Apr 27, 2018 at 3:22 AM Post #722 of 3,356
May i ask what’s the general sound coming from the lyr3 and/or it’s two dac options

I’m looking for an amp that will play very nicely with an elear, work well with the he x edition (i’m worried it may be TOO laid back as an option) and could well work with an lcd 2 too

I’ve also considered the cayin iha6 and buraon virtuoso v2+

Detail does not have to be exceptional but good. My main setup is a woo wa2 for my hd800 and lcd2

And I’m not aure which way to go for my elear amd potentially the he x

Thanks

Apr 27, 2018 at 6:56 AM Post #723 of 3,356
May i ask what’s the general sound coming from the lyr3 and/or it’s two dac options

I’m looking for an amp that will play very nicely with an elear, work well with the he x edition (i’m worried it may be TOO laid back as an option) and could well work with an lcd 2 too

Detail does not have to be exceptional but good. My main setup is a woo wa2 for my hd800 and lcd2

Thanks

Can't comment on the lyr3 combo but the iha6 is a great combo with the lcd2

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:01 AM Post #724 of 3,356
Apr 27, 2018 at 7:06 AM Post #725 of 3,356
Kinda defeats the purpose in the Lyr 3 thread lol.

You are correct. I'll stay on topic. After trying both the lyr3 and iha6 I decided on the cayin. Like I've mentioned before I was hearing a weird disconnect between the timbre of the upper mids/treble and the lower mids/bass.

It's a solid unit just not for me.

Apr 27, 2018 at 7:30 AM Post #726 of 3,356
Apr 27, 2018 at 7:37 AM Post #727 of 3,356
You are correct. I'll stay on topic. After trying both the lyr3 and iha6 I decided on the cayin. Like I've mentioned before I was hearing a weird disconnect between the timbre of the upper mids/treble and the lower mids/bass.

It's a solid unit just not for me.
Was that with the lcd2c or different cans? Did you try different tubes? Could have been a faulty tube.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2018 at 8:52 AM Post #728 of 3,356
Middle finger is always at Duke.

LOL! Not necessarily a bad thing though. Keeps us from pointing the finger at UK, which is the only other worthy nemesis. :grin:

Apr 27, 2018 at 8:53 AM Post #729 of 3,356

Thanks

( with TungSol 6SN7 and Amp only)
Neutral-warm in tone and generally a touch laidback. Doesn’t have a bloomy or a syrupy character, like that of a pure tube amp as it has very good clarity. Nor is it dry like a neutral SS amp. Not the most hardest hitting in the bass. Amazingly linear treble, free from hardness or glare (although, if your DAC is too bright, some of the brightness is going to come through). Good staging capabilities to support 800’s stage. But could use some depth and air for better layering and separation. Resolution is quite good. I guess to the level of what you could expect from a $500 amp.

Apr 27, 2018 at 9:59 AM Post #730 of 3,356
( with TungSol 6SN7 and Amp only)
Neutral-warm in tone and generally a touch laidback. Doesn’t have a bloomy or a syrupy character, like that of a pure tube amp as it has very good clarity. Nor is it dry like a neutral SS amp. Not the most hardest hitting in the bass. Amazingly linear treble, free from hardness or glare (although, if your DAC is too bright, some of the brightness is going to come through). Good staging capabilities to support 800’s stage. But could use some depth and air for better layering and separation. Resolution is quite good. I guess to the level of what you could expect from a $500 amp.
That’s great info

I’m thinking it MAY be a little too laid back for what I my looking for - already have a metrum hex nos dac so may be overkill in that regard, particularly with the hifiman ed x I’m considering. Unless the lyr multibit dac counteracts that ......maybe

Apr 27, 2018 at 12:56 PM Post #731 of 3,356
I’m thinking it MAY be a little too laid back for what I my looking for - already have a metrum hex nos dac so may be overkill in that regard, particularly with the hifiman ed x I’m considering. Unless the lyr multibit dac counteracts that ......maybe
I run my Lyr 3 + new TS with a NOS DAC (Holo Spring KTE 3), I don't think this setup is "laid back," at least with my main headphones, MrSpeakers Ether C Flow. Somewhat more liquid sound than with other amps I've used with the same DAC (Jot, Neurochrome HP-1), but crisp transients and solid bass are still there. At least with the music I listen to, mainly modern jazz, modern classical, world.

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:06 PM Post #732 of 3,356
I wouldn't call the Lyr 3 laid back at all. I think it's a detail monster and would pair well with most R2R/NOS dacs.

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:10 PM Post #733 of 3,356
Or it might really reveal flaws in cheaper DACs.

Apr 27, 2018 at 1:27 PM Post #734 of 3,356
I again, totally agree with ProfFalkin.

Apr 27, 2018 at 4:28 PM Post #735 of 3,356
That’s great info

On the "other" forum, some veterans recommend the 4490 module over the multibit, for better synergy with the amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back