Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Apr 28, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #766 of 3,356
The world of vintage tubes has gone from crazy to beyond insane. "Used, tested, has short, may or may not work well." Shorted tubes do such nice things to your amplifier.

At least he's not calling it a Bad Boy....:confounded:

Brimart.jpg

Apr 28, 2018 at 6:56 PM Post #767 of 3,356
LOL! I went and got my copy and listened to it and your absolutely spot on. I was surprised at how much subtle detailing this LYR 3 lets through with the stock tube. The weight and body of bowed or plucked basses and cellos, the clarity of complex inner voices revealed, the honest perspective without highlighting, the sense of distance between the front row of musicians and the back rows of horns and percussion, the absolute lack of any glare or brightness in the highs at dynamic peaks. Also, the hall ambience is perfect. I think this may be the first time I've heard everything that the recording engineers were able to capture. A real treat, especially with a recording I've listened to hundreds of times over the years that I thought I knew every nook and cranny of.
The front-to-back separation is wonderful in the 3rd movement, with the woodwinds and brass rising from behind the massed strings. Bartók's folk dance rhythms emerging from the darker, tragic background in the 5th movement are most uplifting in this rendering.

Apr 29, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #768 of 3,356
The Lyr 3 is my first piece of Schiit with an IEC socket, so I've been swapping a number of different power cords out of the big rig and through the Lyr to see what (if anything) got me going. I've found the Oyaide Black Mamba Sigma V2 to be a nicely synergistic match, and less costly than some of the others tried. Adds the biggest improvement in the microdynamic realm where it improves rhythmic vitality and subsequently increases foot tap and goosebump quantity. Improvement in bass impact and treble detail (without etch) too. Reasonably priced as these things go, but needs a good amount of break-in as it's a little brash and aggressive initially.

And please -- I have no desire to instigate a flame war on this topic. If you believe aftermarket power cords make a difference, I'm just passing this along as one I've found to work particularly well in the Lyr 3. If you think a cord is cord and aftermarket cords are total BS, then please just pass this on by.

https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/chuya-online/item/92479

Oyaide.jpg

Apr 29, 2018 at 11:25 AM Post #769 of 3,356
The world of vintage tubes has gone from crazy to beyond insane. "Used, tested, has short, may or may not work well." Shorted tubes do such nice things to your amplifier.

At least he's not calling it a Bad Boy....:confounded:

I never buy tubes on eBay anymore. Over half the tubes I bought on eBay, even from sellers with great feedback were inferior. I stick to the well known US vendors now like Brent Jessee.

Apr 29, 2018 at 12:18 PM Post #770 of 3,356
A new contender that is sounding quite promising: a '59 Foton 6H8C. Been playing in the Vali for a couple days, and just stuck it in the Lyr this morning. More energetic in the upper mids/lower treble than the Melz (making the Melz sound a bit laid back in comparison), and more bass heft and power. With both the Melz and Foton, the treble is fantastic -- airy, detailed, extended, yet never fatiguing. Guess at some point I'm going to have to spring the bucks for one of the known greats (a real Bad Boy Sylvania or oval plate Tung-Sol) to see how these cheap-in-comparison Russkies stack up.

(note that the pins on these were supremely cruddy when I got them...photo below is after cleaning)
Foton.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #771 of 3,356
In your opinion could be useful to add an LPS between the plug and the Lyr3? Does this could improve the sound in any audible way? Or it's better with DAC's? Or actually it doesn't make sense? Thank you

Apr 29, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #772 of 3,356
In your opinion could be useful to add an LPS between the plug and the Lyr3? Does this could improve the sound in any audible way? Or it's better with DAC's? Or actually it doesn't make sense? Thank you

Most of the time an LPS is used to replace a switch-mode power supply (wal-wart or brick) when converting AC from the wall to DC going to the component. An LPS can make a substantial improvement in that application, depending on the quality of the switch-mode supply it replaces. Although there are AC-to-AC LPS's, I've never tried one. I do use a pair of Shunyata Hydras between the wall and the pile of Schiit, but they are power conditioners rather than power supplies.

(picture is pre-Lyr 3: the wart for the Vali now gone and replaced with the Lyr cord)
Hydra.jpg

Apr 29, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #773 of 3,356
I use a good battery backup with a avr built in on all my electronics and pc's.

Apr 29, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #774 of 3,356
4A72A9B2-95DA-4181-A38E-9AED08358A80.jpeg 2EEAD700-E24D-41B6-84F8-9A658BF941EC.jpeg FB9ABE0F-0BD0-450A-B9D9-59221D6F9320.jpeg F8AFC41E-E0DA-48C0-BDDB-600CFE5109E6.jpeg F62D2A84-0BAB-4D71-BD4E-0E8B2C562A76.jpeg

A new contender that is sounding quite promising: a '59 Foton 6H8C. Been playing in the Vali for a couple days, and just stuck it in the Lyr this morning. More energetic in the upper mids/lower treble than the Melz (making the Melz sound a bit laid back in comparison), and more bass heft and power. With both the Melz and Foton, the treble is fantastic -- airy, detailed, extended, yet never fatiguing. Guess at some point I'm going to have to spring the bucks for one of the known greats (a real Bad Boy Sylvania or oval plate Tung-Sol) to see how these cheap-in-comparison Russkies stack up.

(note that the pins on these were supremely cruddy when I got them...photo below is after cleaning)

Look for Philco Tubes, they are rebranded Sylvanias, one is the “Bad Boy” (I really don’t care for that
Moniker). Mine are from the 12th week of 1953, so cutting it close. @bcowen the pictures are above.

Apr 29, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #775 of 3,356

Look for Philco Tubes, they are rebranded Sylvanias, one is the “Bad Boy” (I really don’t care for that
Moniker). Mine are from the 12th week of 1953, so cutting it close. @bcowen the pictures are above.

Thanks for the pics!! Very helpful.

Apr 29, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #776 of 3,356

I see that Brent Jesse has a good stock on several versions of these, so I'll give him a call tomorrow. I really need to now how these Fotons and Melz compare before I a) buy more, and/or b) make a fool out of myself recommending them. :blush:

Apr 29, 2018 at 6:40 PM Post #777 of 3,356
I see that Brent Jesse has a good stock on several versions of these, so I'll give him a call tomorrow. I really need to now how these Fotons and Melz compare before I a) buy more, and/or b) make a fool out of myself recommending them. :blush:

I bought one of the Philco bad boys from Brent. They’re listed right under the sylvania bad boys, same tubes just rebranded, just ask for the 3 hole, they’re like 10$ more then the 2 hole.

Apr 29, 2018 at 11:56 PM Post #778 of 3,356
I have a MIL-SPEC KEN-RAD VT-231 on its way from Brent, but I'm almost afraid of how far it will suck me in, given that I'm already getting totally smitten by the Lyr-3 just with the stock new Tung-Sol. Listening to live-recorded free improvisation jazz, Made in Chicago with Jack DeJohnette, Muhal Richard Abrams, Larry Gray, Roscoe Mitchell, Henry Threadgill. So overwhelmingly present, with the teeny noises from instrument handling as well as the background from the crowd. This is the first headamp that has kept me away from my speaker system (see sig to check what that means). It's kind of ridiculous that a $500 tube-hybrid amp can do this in competition with solid-state amps that cost several multiples of the Lyr-3. Don't know if it is the tube, or the new power stage design, but I've never, ever heard jazz instruments this present outside the best seats at a live gig. @Jason Stoddard deep respect.

Apr 30, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #779 of 3,356
It is a
I have a MIL-SPEC KEN-RAD VT-231 on its way from Brent, but I'm almost afraid of how far it will suck me in, given that I'm already getting totally smitten by the Lyr-3 just with the stock new Tung-Sol. Listening to live-recorded free improvisation jazz, Made in Chicago with Jack DeJohnette, Muhal Richard Abrams, Larry Gray, Roscoe Mitchell, Henry Threadgill. So overwhelmingly present, with the teeny noises from instrument handling as well as the background from the crowd. This is the first headamp that has kept me away from my speaker system (see sig to check what that means). It's kind of ridiculous that a $500 tube-hybrid amp can do this in competition with solid-state amps that cost several multiples of the Lyr-3. Don't know if it is the tube, or the new power stage design, but I've never, ever heard jazz instruments this present outside the best seats at a live gig. @Jason Stoddard deep respect.
I can't wait to hear your impressions on the KenRad VT-231! I bought a clear glass / staggered plate KenRad, from Brent and it is one of my top 2 tubes. This tube has some magic. . .

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2018 at 8:17 AM Post #780 of 3,356

Listening to a bit of Jazz this morning as well, “Coltrane and Monk, Live” with the BlueSound Node2>Vinshine R2R DAC>Lyr3 (Sylvania Vt-231)>Focal Clear. The Lyr3 plays the strengths of the Clear well, tone, macr/micro detail, speed. Where it pushes them over the top is in expanding the soundstage, width and depth, dramatically.

I’d love to hear more from Jason on the design and implementation of the Lyr 3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back