Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Apr 16, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #526 of 3,350
Tube rolling is a whole separate addiction in itself, I spent almost as much on tubes as I did for the amp before the amp even arrived, and if I would have known how good the stock tube would have sounded I probably wouldn’t have bought any, or maybe only a few we’ll selected tubes. 1/2 the tubes I bought will end up sitting on a desk collecting dust forever, not cuz they’re bad, but you’ll prob find 1-2 tubes you enjoy n just listen to those...so I’d advise against tube rolling before you have even heard the amp personally. Many have said the stock Tung Sol is in their top 3 favorite tubes, some even having the stock cheap tube in their favorites...this amp just flat out sounds great always.

Apr 16, 2018 at 6:44 AM Post #527 of 3,350
Rca tubes are the warmest I have tried, and anything from the 50s-60s is worth buying from them imo, they started to decline in quality into the 70s for just about all then manufactures...that said, I would stop trying to over think all this “warmth” or “bright” bs...I too thought I wanted a warm tube when I started out and after trying 5-6 different tubes I ended up with a sylvania 6sn7wgt that is in no way a warm tube but it’s sound is just amazing with my setup...I would suggest buying 3-4 vintage tubes to try and see what you like, my suggestion would be any 1950-60s rca(about 30$), a vintage Tung Sol(about 40-50$) a sylvania chrome dome or 6sn7wgt(30-50$) and a Raytheon gtb (30-40$). But I wouldn’t get anything until you buy the amp and try the stock tube...the stock new production Tung Sol sounds fantastic and for most people will be all they ever want or need...this amp doesn’t change drastically with different tubes like some other amps do, and if your new to tubes I would just enjoy what you bought, you won’t be disappointed as the amp comes. Even comparing my warmest rca to my brightest Tung Sol the difference is minimal and you really need to pay attention to hear the subtle differences, the difference is there but not to the point you may expect.
Thumbs up! Thank you very much :)

Apr 16, 2018 at 6:53 AM Post #528 of 3,350
Tube rolling is a whole separate addiction in itself, I spent almost as much on tubes as I did for the amp before the amp even arrived, and if I would have known how good the stock tube would have sounded I probably wouldn’t have bought any, or maybe only a few we’ll selected tubes. 1/2 the tubes I bought will end up sitting on a desk collecting dust forever, not cuz they’re bad, but you’ll prob find 1-2 tubes you enjoy n just listen to those...so I’d advise against tube rolling before you have even heard the amp personally. Many have said the stock Tung Sol is in their top 3 favorite tubes, some even having the stock cheap tube in their favorites...this amp just flat out sounds great always.
In fact my idea was to buy the amp with the stock tube and have another one like the RCAs I was talking about just to have another “colour” of the sound of the amp :)

Apr 16, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #530 of 3,350
Talked to Schiit and here is what they said when i was asking about the bifrost vs built in multibit. "The only DAC we recommend leaving on 24/7 is the Yggdrasil. The DAC (The Analog Devices AD5547". They dont recommend leaving on the other multibit dacs including the modi multibit or the bifrost. I was comparing my current setup the modi multibit/ vali 2 to the bimbi/ lyr 3.

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:01 AM Post #531 of 3,350
But I wouldn’t get anything until you buy the amp and try the stock tube...the stock new production Tung Sol sounds fantastic and for most people will be all they ever want or need
^^ This. ^^

I can say it over and over again, and yet I know it won't stop people from loading up on megabuck tubes before they even get to hear the amp, but it's true. Try the Tung Sol tube and the NOS russian tube. Try them, decide where you want to go from there.

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #532 of 3,350
^^ This. ^^

I can say it over and over again, and yet I know it won't stop people from loading up on megabuck tubes before they even get to hear the amp, but it's true. Try the Tung Sol tube and the NOS russian tube. Try them, decide where you want to go from there.
Really good advice!

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:15 AM Post #533 of 3,350
what's the difference between tung sol and the stock one?
The NOS Russian tube is a great all around performer. Has a nice balance to energy and detail without getting in your face about it. The new TS tube is more in your face. It presents a little brighter and revealing sound, and has loads of impact.

I'd like to reiterate - the stock Russian NOS tube really is a fantastic match for the Lyr 3. Don't sell that tube short, or think it's going to be crap just because it's cheap. If it was all I had, I'd still be extremely satisfied with the Lyr. I'd suggest people start there, and decide what they want to improve (if anything) and then do your homework and make an educated decision.

For me, I found a tube that sounds similar to the stock NOS, but with a more rich tone in the mids - the Raytheon tube I posted a while back.

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #534 of 3,350
Talked to Schiit and here is what they said when i was asking about the bifrost vs built in multibit. "The only DAC we recommend leaving on 24/7 is the Yggdrasil. The DAC (The Analog Devices AD5547". They dont recommend leaving on the other multibit dacs including the modi multibit or the bifrost. I was comparing my current setup the modi multibit/ vali 2 to the bimbi/ lyr 3.
This is the first time I've heard that, I wonder why they don't recommend it? We should get more people to email Schiit for confirmation, it certainly sounds noticeably better...

I think almost everyone with a Mimby or Bimby leaves it on 24/7, hopefully we're not shortening the life drastically or anything like that.

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #535 of 3,350
I emailed them right after this post. I've been leaving my bimby on 24/7

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #536 of 3,350
This is the first time I've heard that, I wonder why they don't recommend it? We should get more people to email Schiit for confirmation, it certainly sounds noticeably better...

I think almost everyone with a Mimby or Bimby leaves it on 24/7, hopefully we're not shortening the life drastically or anything like that.
I have emailed them about this in the past, and they said you can leave it on 24/7 or turn it off and on, during each use. Don't expect Schiit to give opinions about their gear, with email responses. Schiit is straight to the point with their answers.

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #538 of 3,350
Straight from Schiit.
"It's up to you. The only DAC we truly recommend leaving on 24/7 is the Yggdrasil, however you can feel free to leave the Bifrost Multibit on 24/7 if you'd like. It will not reduce it's quality, performance, or lifespan. "

Apr 16, 2018 at 3:06 PM Post #539 of 3,350
"The only DAC we recommend leaving on 24/7 is the Yggdrasil. The DAC (The Analog Devices AD5547". They dont recommend leaving on the other multibit dacs including the modi multibit or the bifrost.

... is quite different than...

"It's up to you. The only DAC we truly recommend leaving on 24/7 is the Yggdrasil, however you can feel free to leave the Bifrost Multibit on 24/7 if you'd like. It will not reduce it's quality, performance, or lifespan. "

I believe there is nothing wrong with leaving it on. Experience tells me this is fine. Everything I've read from Mike and Jason indicates this is fine.

This is fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back