Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Apr 17, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #556 of 3,350
So, you guy's have been more than helpful!
I am saving up for this baby as of right now.
That being said, pardon my ignorance... Do tubes burn out like light bulbs or do they last a hyper long time?

Apr 17, 2018 at 3:56 PM Post #557 of 3,350
That being said, pardon my ignorance... Do tubes burn out like light bulbs or do they last a hyper long time?

They do, but you should get 1000’s of hours of use prior to that burn out, though I’ve had them “blow” at a much faster rate.

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #558 of 3,350
Some military type tubes are rated at 10,000 hours - which, frankly, is crap imo. Your average tube should be about 2k hours, probably more. Some amps drive tubes to specs, others don't drive the tubes that hard at all. So it differs depending on the amp they are in as well.

I would expect the average tube to last 2 or 3 years for the average person who listens to the system for a few hours a day.

Of course, you never know. There are a ton of shady tube sellers out there, so your bright and shiny NOS tube could have 1500 hours on it. Some tubes could just be prone to early failure due to age or construction. So hard to say. One benefit of the Lyr 3 - Tubes are often sold in matched pairs. You get a backup for only double the price as a single. What a deal!

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:07 PM Post #559 of 3,350
Thanks for the input.
I have a few headphones: HD 6XX, Oppo PM-3, HD 598 SR, I was looking into either Aeon Flow Open or Audeze LCD2C as a next pair.
My question ,am I purchasing over my level of equipment?
Or will this Amp outlast my gear for a few years to come?
Also, you recommend getting the Dac Module for a complete setup if I don't already have a dedicated Dac?

Apr 17, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #560 of 3,350
Thanks for the input.
I have a few headphones: HD 6XX, Oppo PM-3, HD 598 SR, I was looking into either Aeon Flow Open or Audeze LCD2C as a next pair.
Also, you recommend getting the Dac Module for a complete setup if I don't already have a dedicated Dac?

Can’t speak to the onboard DAC since I haven’t heard one, but I’m a big believer in dedicated power sources for amps and DACs. On the longevity of the Lyr 3, Head Fi is a bit like an addictive drug, so my condolences to your wallet :wink:. I sold two amps that are quite a bit more expensive, because I prefer my Abyss and Focal Clear more on the Lyr 3.

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:23 PM Post #561 of 3,350
Thanks for the input.

The lyr3 is an amazing amp, it sounds great with my he560(should be similar to aeons) and 400i and Iv tried HD600 and grados on it and all sound great. I’m sure you could easily be satisfied with 1000+$ cans with the lyr3...I bought mine with the multibit dac module and it sounds great, is simple to use and I have zero complaints with it. Me and a friend compared it to his much more expensive mojo dac and both of us preferred the internal multibit card to the mojo. Some prefer using a dedicated schiit multibit dac like the modi or Bifrost multibit so that they can leave them running 24/7. It’s kinda a personal preference thing I guess, so you want a simple all in one solution that takes up little room, or the ability to leave the multibit dac powered 24/7 for a bit better sound quality immediately...the sound quality is still very good on cold starts but as the dac and amp warm up it definately sounds a bit more fluid and detailed, hard to say if it’s the dac warming or the amp/tube warming, I’m sure it’s a bit of both.

Apr 17, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #562 of 3,350
Might be another Westinghouse, might be a side getter RCA. Nothing expensive, but I have it on good authority they are both very good.

I have one of the side getter rca’s. It is one of my favorite tubes. It’s very warm and laid back in comparison to the wgt and vt231 I’m into at the moment.

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:12 PM Post #563 of 3,350

Left is the sylvania 6sn7wgt and right is the raytheon vt231

Interesting. I found the Raytheon VT-231 virtually unlistenable in my Lyr3 with a treble that sliced my ears to shreds. Yours has T-shaped plates. The one I was listening to has flat plates. The 2 on the left below have T-shaped plates like yours, the 3 on the right have the flat plates. I'll burn in one with the T-shaped plates and give it a listen. Sounds like it may be a completely different animal. Thanks for the photo!!

Ray.jpg

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #564 of 3,350
Warming up to the Raytheon, the soundstage is huuuuuugggggggeeeee! Still listening to the Dead, “Eyes of the World” San Francisco, 90, the Sax is in the next room to the left, the keyboards in another to the right.

Got a pic of that tube by chance? Love to see what the plate structure looks like.

Apr 17, 2018 at 7:32 PM Post #565 of 3,350
Got a pic of that tube by chance? Love to see what the plate structure looks like.

Yea I was told the later versions of the Raytheon vt231 are harsh, the one I have almost looks like a 2 hole bad boy minus the flashing. It could also be that I’m using open back cans vs your closed, which may accentuate a gnarly treble if there is one.

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2018 at 8:17 PM Post #566 of 3,350
Me and a friend compared it to his much more expensive mojo dac and both of us preferred the internal multibit card to the mojo.

The Chord Mojo is a $550 DAC+Amp combo, so I'm not sure why you thought it was much more expensive. The Lyr 3 + Multibit DAC is $700. I actually use a Mojo with my Elears, but I'm wondering if the Lyr 3 Multibit card would be a significant upgrade. The Elear's are easy to drive, I'm not sure how much they would benefit from the extra power of the Lyr 3.

Which do you think would be greater upgrade in SQ for me?
1. Changing from Apple Music AAC 256 streaming to Tidal MQA
2. Changing form the Mojo to the Lyr3

Apr 17, 2018 at 8:27 PM Post #567 of 3,350
Interesting. I found the Raytheon VT-231 virtually unlistenable in my Lyr3 with a treble that sliced my ears to shreds. Yours has T-shaped plates. The one I was listening to has flat plates. The 2 on the left below have T-shaped plates like yours, the 3 on the right have the flat plates. I'll burn in one with the T-shaped plates and give it a listen. Sounds like it may be a completely different animal. Thanks for the photo!!

Mine is definitely a T plate, and I think it sounds great also. Might be the plate structure that is making the difference like you say. Powerful bass and yes, a large stage. I thought it sounded just a bit too forward compared to my current favorite, Sylvania, which I thought separates instruments in the depth perspective a bit better and is a smidge more delicate in the treble.

Apr 17, 2018 at 8:35 PM Post #568 of 3,350
The Chord Mojo is a $550 DAC+Amp combo, so I'm not sure why you thought it was much more expensive. The Lyr 3 + Multibit DAC is $700. I actually use a Mojo with my Elears, but I'm wondering if the Lyr 3 Multibit card would be a significant upgrade. The Elear's are easy to drive, I'm not sure how much they would benefit from the extra power of the Lyr 3.

While yes the mojo has an amp, I wouldn’t call it an amp, it’s just a quality dac that has a large following, we only used the dac portion of the mojo in comparison, running it through the lyr3 and preferred the lyr3’s multibit dac...it’s comparing a 200$ multibit dac to a nearly 600$ delta sigma dac

Apr 17, 2018 at 8:36 PM Post #569 of 3,350

Schiit dacs do not decode mqa, so it will be done via your pc before it gets to the dac, I personally find regular tidal hifi to sound best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back