Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread

Discussion in 'Headphone Amps (full-size)' started by ProfFalkin, Mar 20, 2018.
First

Back
27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
Page 37 of 101
38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47
Next

Last
  1. jamesofla80
    Been seeing all the positive reception you guys have been saying about the new lyr 3 has me getting the upgrade itch. Given I just recently acquired a pair of Aeon Open's wanted to get your thoughts if the Lyr3 might be a better match then my existing Lake People G109-A. Anybody ever compare a Lake vs Schiit? Do you think its a worthwhile upgrade or more of a lateral move?

In addition, I use a Rega Dac and wondering if I should just consolidate the Lake/Rega combo into a new Lyr3/Multibit option. Happy with my current setup with the HD650 but will say I was pretty impressed listening to the Aeon/Lyr3 at Canjam two weeks ago. Just hard to say if it was a vast improvement over my current rig. Love to get your thoughts.

2. Kyle140
    Has anyone stuck a Shuguang Treasure CV181-Z, allegedly electrically identical to a 6SN7, have this tube kicking around in my DV 336 and would be curious how it would play with a LYR 3 as i wait patiently for mine to show up.

3. Motocrossman24
    People have put them into the Freya On YouTube, which I believe takes the same tubes, either way, it’s electrically the same as a 6sn7 so there wouldn’t be any issues unless the tube is faulty. Iv heard mixed reviews about the tube so I haven’t personally invested the money into trying one, they’re quite damn expensive for a Chinese made tube.
    You will most likely need a socket saver in place to use the psvane/Shuguang tubes as I’m not sure the opening is big enough to clear the glass.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018
  4. Motocrossman24
    Just tried a Raytheon vt231 in the lyr3 and it’s nothing short of amazing. Similar mid range and top end to the sylvania 6sn7wgt that is/was my favorite, but maybe slightly less in your face. The Raytheon is a bit more airy and has a better sound stage. It also has a much stronger bass presence. Honestly not sure what I prefer more between the Raytheon vt231 and the sylvania wgt. Going to give both a lot of play time I can say that.

Wildcatsare1 likes this.
  5. ProfFalkin
    I hesitate to answer as I haven't heard enough of the Aeon opens to know, but reading other sites it seems to be a good fit.
    Snap a pic of those tubes for us please?

6. Motocrossman24
    Gimme a bit, Raytheon is scorching hot atm

7. Motocrossman24
    224CD36A-D5B9-4193-B288-7EEDDC6824B7.jpeg
    Left is the sylvania 6sn7wgt and right is the raytheon vt231

bcowen and ProfFalkin like this.
  8. JohnBal
    That Raytheon is a favorite of mine too. Right now though, the Sylvania 1952, same era as the bad boy but with 2 holes punched in one side of the plate and 5 holes in the other side of the plate, like this one:
    [​IMG]
    Very even and powerful with my headphones. Really makes my AQ Nighthawks sing like nothing I have heard yet. I still have several more to try though. But so far, this is the one to beat.

Wildcatsare1 and Wes S like this.
  9. ProfFalkin
    1 more tube incoming then I'm calling it quits. (For now.)

Zachik, Wildcatsare1 and Wes S like this.
  10. Motocrossman24
    What tube is that?

11. Wildcatsare1
    I just dropped a Raytheon VT-231 in, its very clean and clear, first time I’ve ever heard the crowd singing along with the Dead’s St. Stephen (Filmore West, 69). Though it may be too much of a good thing, perhaps it’s a tad bright, though I’ll let it cook for a day or two, then review it again. For now I’m enjoying pick8ng up on those little details I hadn’t heard on familiar music.

FLTWS and JohnBal like this.
  12. Wildcatsare1
    Famous last words :wink:!

riffrafff and Wes S like this.
  13. Motocrossman24
    Interesting, I found the vt231 a bit less bright then the sylvania wgt. Which was a little refreshing, I do love the details it’s able to produce, which I have yet to hear on any other tube.

14. ProfFalkin
    Might be another Westinghouse, might be a side getter RCA. Nothing expensive, but I have it on good authority they are both very good.

15. Wildcatsare1
    Warming up to the Raytheon, the soundstage is huuuuuugggggggeeeee! Still listening to the Dead, “Eyes of the World” San Francisco, 90, the Sax is in the next room to the left, the keyboards in another to the right.

bcowen, Wes S and ProfFalkin like this.
First

Back
27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36
Page 37 of 101
38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47
Next

Last