Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Apr 2, 2018 at 10:11 AM Post #196 of 3,356
Schiit is pretty good about providing protection for their equipment but it is a good idea to have your phones connected before you turn on the amp with volume at zero. Tubes want to see a load. Warm up a few minutes before you listen. If you need to change phones turn down volume to zero. If you want to change the tube turn off wait a good half hour for the tube to cool completely. Don't rush. Enjoy your Lyr 3!

I see. Thanks for this tip.. Appreciate it.

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:37 AM Post #197 of 3,356
As stated by several members already, the Lyr 3 is a significant step up, from the Jotunheim, in almost all regards.

Is the Lyr 3 also the same step up when compared to Jotunheim running balanced?

Apr 2, 2018 at 11:04 AM Post #198 of 3,356
Is the Lyr 3 also the same step up when compared to Jotunheim running balanced?
Yes. I think so anyway. I never really used the 1/4" connection on the Jot, just the XLR.

Edit - I moved the Jot to my home setup, where it now serves as a balanced pre for my studio monitors. Works wonderfully for that. It's amazing how versitile that thing is.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 1:03 PM Post #200 of 3,356
Okay, I succumbed and am back on the Schiit Train (with a name like Heine, that seems very fitting), ordered the Lyr 3 with th Tung-Sol, a Ken-Rad VT-231, looking forward to having a more power for the Abyss 1266s while I save up for a WA5.

I got 2 quick questions:
1. This Ken-Rad tube that you like so much - can you please provide more info (full name, estimated cost, etc.)?
2. I already own Jot and MCTH, and thinking of buying the Lyr3 to replace Jot (while keeping MCTH). Can you provide comparison to MCTH?

Thanks!

Ken-Rad VT-231 is the one! Though as @Wildcatsare1 said, there's a whole thread on the topic of 6SN7 tubes: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/6sn7-tube-addicts.479031/
And I would not get too up on the particular tube - just one that I liked in a few amplifiers.

Probably not too succinct either for me to try summarize MCTH vs Lyr 3. I liken it to comparing an MG MGB against a Porsche 911 - both are good cars!
Though I'm hopeful a few people will post impressions after an upcoming meet where I'll have both. We'll see!

Apr 2, 2018 at 1:08 PM Post #201 of 3,356
I suspect that the Lyr3 doesn't have enough internal space to accommodate balanced in's & out's like the Jotunheim which creates interesting decision making in determining which unit to buy (Jot or Lyr3). I guess if you were a Lyr2 fan then balanced wouldn't have been a concern or if you need both then you could step up to the Mjolnir2. Myself, I have the Jotunheim (running balanced) and also dabbled with the Vali2 hybrid tube amp, sold that and purchased the much better and more versatile Project Ember. I figure I'm covered pretty well.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 1:41 PM Post #202 of 3,356
I figure I'm coverted pretty well
I guess. Unless you take into account the Lyr sounds better than the Vali, Horizon, and Jotunheim.

:beerchug:

Apr 2, 2018 at 2:54 PM Post #203 of 3,356
Does the lyr3 with multibit dac require any drivers? I checked the downloads section and none of the multibit units are listed, it’s all modi Uber/Bifrost etc. my unit should be here by the end of the week, can’t wait to break it in.

Apr 2, 2018 at 3:08 PM Post #204 of 3,356
Does the lyr3 with multibit dac require any drivers? I checked the downloads section and none of the multibit units are listed, it’s all modi Uber/Bifrost etc. my unit should be here by the end of the week, can’t wait to break it in.
Yes. They self install when you connect the device.

Don't use the ones on the download page. They don't work. The Cmedia installer never detects the device and installation won't proceed. You also can't really extract the drivers from the package in a way that Windows will allow you to manually import or install them.

If you have any issues with installation, your best bet is to follow this process: (I'm assuming Win10 here. Win 7 will be similar.)
  1. Unplug usb cable.
  2. Open Device Manager. (Shortcut is Win+X keys)
  3. Select View > Show hidden devices.
  4. Under "Sound, video and game controllers" remove any listed Schiit drivers. Choose to delete them from disk when prompted.
  5. Plug in usb cable. Confirm that the Schiit DAC appears in device list.
  6. Right click on Schiit device, select Update Drivers > Search automatically for updated driver software
  7. New drivers should download and install.
  8. Reboot
Enjoy.

This process fixed a WASAPI direct issue I was having with my Gumby and JRiver Media Center, so I'm confident it will resolve most any driver installation issue people might have.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 3:47 PM Post #205 of 3,356
Yes. They self install when you connect the device.

Don't use the ones on the download page. They don't work. The Cmedia installer never detects the device and installation won't proceed. You also can't really extract the drivers from the package in a way that Windows will allow you to manually import or install them.

If you have any issues with installation, your best bet is to follow this process: (I'm assuming Win10 here. Win 7 will be similar.)
  1. Unplug usb cable.
  2. Open Device Manager. (Shortcut is Win+X keys)
  3. Select View > Show hidden devices.
  4. Under "Sound, video and game controllers" remove any listed Schiit drivers. Choose to delete them from disk when prompted.
  5. Plug in usb cable. Confirm that the Schiit DAC appears in device list.
  6. Right click on Schiit device, select Update Drivers > Search automatically for updated driver software
  7. New drivers should download and install.
  8. Reboot
Enjoy.

This process fixed a WASAPI direct issue I was having with my Gumby and JRiver Media Center, so I'm confident it will resolve most any driver installation issue people might have.

Thanks for the detailed response.

Apr 2, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #207 of 3,356
Apr 2, 2018 at 11:09 PM Post #208 of 3,356
Edit - I moved the Jot to my home setup, where it now serves as a balanced pre for my studio monitors. Works wonderfully for that. It's amazing how versitile that thing is.
Is it very good? I thought the Jotunheim was supposed to be just so-so as a preamp...

I have one too but I use a SYS for my monitors because I read some reviews saying the Jot's preamp output was underwhelming.

Though the SYS can't do balanced!

Apr 2, 2018 at 11:37 PM Post #209 of 3,356
Well, I'm using a $500 amp to control volume on $150 monitors to play $30 computer games. It is far better than it needs to be.

Apr 2, 2018 at 11:46 PM Post #210 of 3,356
Got my Lyr 3 today, it is replacing an Asgard 2. Plugged it in with the LISST tube.
A few people on another forum were joking around wondering when someone would buy the Lyr 3 with the LISST tube... can't believe it happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back