Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Apr 3, 2018 at 12:09 AM Post #212 of 3,356
I truly don't care what anyone says, joking or not, be yourself and I will be myself. I have had the Tung-Sol tube in for a day now and can hear the difference, also ordered a 6SN7gt Ken-Rad Tube *Flat Black Plates*1950* earlier today. The Lyr 3 and Tung-Sol make my Senn HD540 Ref 1's sing. Lyr 3 is an improvement over the Asgard 2 for me, YMMV. I gifted the Asgard 2 to a friend which will be an improvement over his current set up for him. It's all relative, a lot of other people seem to be waiting for someone to tell them to buy it, if you have the means just buy it and judge for yourself if it was a worthwhile upgrade

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 12:16 AM Post #213 of 3,356
I've got a "revised" Jot and a Lyr 3 and did a little comparing yesterday. Not that in depth yet, but some initial impressions are:

Jot had slightly more dynamic punch, with heftier low end and good extension. I didn't notice any sibilance or brightness up top. This is supposedly what the revision addressed.

The Lyr 3 (with NP Tung Sol) had strong dynamics and solid low end, but surprisingly had more extension up top with overall more clarity.

Mids seemed pretty similar on both amps and I think the Lyr 3's soundstage was slightly bigger, but I'll have to look into that further.

Apr 3, 2018 at 12:25 AM Post #214 of 3,356
I also bought the lyr3 with the Tung-Sol and lisst ...not sure how having the flexibility to have hybrid and solidstate in a single amp would be a bad thing. If one is better then the other always, that’s what I’ll run...but I don’t expect that to be the case and enjoy hybrids and ss for their own unique qualities.

Apr 3, 2018 at 1:07 AM Post #215 of 3,356
I've got a "revised" Jot and a Lyr 3 and did a little comparing yesterday. Not that in depth yet, but some initial impressions are:

Jot had slightly more dynamic punch, with heftier low end and good extension. I didn't notice any sibilance or brightness up top. This is supposedly what the revision addressed.

Is there anything on the interwebs from Jason about this revision?

Apr 3, 2018 at 1:16 AM Post #217 of 3,356
Is there anything on the interwebs from Jason about this revision?

Not officially, but he's talked about replacing/upgrading components without making noted revisions.

Several other people have also reported that the newer production Jots are different sounding than the initial units.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 1:54 AM Post #218 of 3,356
Not officially, but he's talked about replacing/upgrading components without making noted revisions.

Several other people have also reported that the newer production Jots are different sounding than the initial units.
Yeah, I know they do this on occasion and I've seen the assertion of a certain someone on a certain other forum not remembering it sounding like that, but that's about it. Welp, maybe we get an actual confirmation at some point, along with a "all Jotunheims produced since <date> have the change" note. I gotta say, this stuff makes it harder to interpret reviews.

Apr 3, 2018 at 6:09 AM Post #219 of 3,356
I rolled a ken rad black glass vt231, and the detail and weight of the notes, is amazing. The bass is tight and textured, with great impact. This tube sounds really good with movies, because of the super wide soundstage, details, and bass impact.

Apr 3, 2018 at 8:42 AM Post #220 of 3,356
I rolled a ken rad black glass vt231, and the detail and weight of the notes, is amazing. The bass is tight and textured, with great impact. This tube sounds really good with movies, because of the super wide soundstage, details, and bass impact.

It figures that in all my horde of audio tubes I don't have a single Ken-Rad VT-231. Have some Ken-Rad 6SN7GT's, but no VT-231's. Oh well. First up when my Lyr3 gets here will be the Hytron 6SN7 and 5692. Both of them were excellent in a couple different big rig preamp(s), but the 5692 always took the honors, and the 5692 is awesome in the Vali2. Maybe I won't even need a KR VT-231. But then I'm anal, so I probably better start looking for one now. :confounded:

Apr 3, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #221 of 3,356
Is it very good? I thought the Jotunheim was supposed to be just so-so as a preamp...

I have one too but I use a SYS for my monitors because I read some reviews saying the Jot's preamp output was underwhelming.

Though the SYS can't do balanced!

The Jotunheim works very well as a pre - I use it balanced out to a pair of Genelecs and it sounds excellent.

Apr 3, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #222 of 3,356
It figures that in all my horde of audio tubes I don't have a single Ken-Rad VT-231. Have some Ken-Rad 6SN7GT's, but no VT-231's. Oh well. First up when my Lyr3 gets here will be the Hytron 6SN7 and 5692. Both of them were excellent in a couple different big rig preamp(s), but the 5692 always took the honors, and the 5692 is awesome in the Vali2. Maybe I won't even need a KR VT-231. But then I'm anal, so I probably better start looking for one now. :confounded:

The 6sn7 and vt231 are the same thing, they just labeled the vt231 for military purposes and smoked them...obviously as long as they’re the same year range.

Apr 3, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #223 of 3,356
The 6sn7 and vt231 are the same thing, they just labeled the vt231 for military purposes and smoked them...obviously as long as they’re the same year range.
As long as they have the staggered plates, they are the same.

Apr 3, 2018 at 12:50 PM Post #224 of 3,356

Yup, just like the 6SN7 and 5692. The 5692 sounds better...at least to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back