Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Apr 2, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #181 of 3,356
I have had a full week of listening with my Lyr 3 and it continues to impress. This amp is a keeper, and nice compliment to my Valhalla 2. I really like being able to give a little tube flavor to all my low impedance cans!

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:38 AM Post #182 of 3,356
Okay, I succumbed and am back on the Schiit Train (with a name like Heine, that seems very fitting), ordered the Lyr 3 with the Tung-Sol, a Ken-Rad VT-231, looking forward to having a more power for the Abyss 1266s while I save up for a WA5.
That was when the magic happened for me, after plugging in the Ken-Rad (love that tube). However I also suspect a certain amount of burn occurred? Though I'm not sure. I'm not used to this happening on most Schiit amplifiers I have used before.

Regardless, all my tubes were sufficiently burned in (not like MCTH, where I had a brand new tube and needed to let it settle for 24-48 hours). But the Lyr 3 became smooth a week after on and off use - not a constant burn. Just a suggestion that if it sounds slightly brittle - not bright, but just slightly edgy - give it a few days.

Apr 2, 2018 at 7:44 AM Post #183 of 3,356
How does the Lyr 3 compare to the Jotunheim? I just got a balanced cable for my LCD-2's and they are absolutely rocking right now compared to the SE output. It seems like they really benefit from around 3x the power, the sound is overall more dynamic and punchy with more air. I still have my Vali 2 that I started out with but thinking of selling it and getting the Lyr 3.
I hope to order a lyr 3 so I can compare it to the jot. But I will not order a Lyr 3 till the end of the month.

Apr 2, 2018 at 8:31 AM Post #184 of 3,356
Lyr 3 vs. Jotunheim - Just a few notes, early on. . .

Lyr 3 has better separation, imaging, depth and a more realistic (organic) sound. Lyr 3 has some tube magic and solid state magic, as well.

Jotunheim's bass hits harder, but is not as layered/textured.

As stated by several members already, the Lyr 3 is a significant step up, from the Jotunheim, in almost all regards.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 9:25 AM Post #185 of 3,356
Hey guys, just ordered a Lyr 3 with Tung Sol. I'm coming from a portable audio background and this is going to be my first tube based amp. Any quick Do's and Dont's that I should remember?

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:29 AM Post #186 of 3,356
. I wish there was an easy way to stack all three amps, but I'd need spacers to make room for the tubes! Anyone know of a place to order custom-machined aluminum blocks?.

Any local machine shop would be willing to work with you...just provide a drawing (with dimensions) and give them a budget and they can let you know the feasibility and level of finish they can provide. I work with two local shops in the Boston area to make custom parts for my work. They each do great work, but take there time in getting it done.

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:30 AM Post #187 of 3,356
Hey guys, just ordered a Lyr 3 with Tung Sol. I'm coming from a portable audio background and this is going to be my first tube based amp. Any quick Do's and Dont's that I should remember?
Do: Give the tube about 40 hours to settle in. The sound will change slightly after that time. Some tubes I thought were too bright ended up being amazing after they had a chance to burn in.

Do Not: Touch hot tube. Pain is nature's way of saying you ****ed up.

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:32 AM Post #188 of 3,356

There is an excellent 6SN7 Tube Thread, if I wasn’t on my phone I’d post a link, that is a great place to start!

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:35 AM Post #189 of 3,356
Do: Give the tube about 40 hours to settle in. The sound will change slightly after that time. Some tubes I thought were too bright ended up being amazing after they had a chance to burn in.

Do Not: Touch hot tube. Pain is nature's way of saying you ****ed up.

Got it, thanks. One more Q. Any way one could go wrong in inserting the tube into the amp? Like, wrong pins into wrong sockets. Or is it just direct and there is no way one could go wrong there?

There is an excellent 6SN7 Tube Thread, if I wasn’t on my phone I’d post a link, that is a great place to start!

Awesome, thanks. I'll look for it.

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:36 AM Post #190 of 3,356
Do: Give the stock tube a solid week before you try rolling different tubes. This way you know what, if any, improvements you want the next tube to make.

Do Not: Buy $1500 worth of tubes right off the bat. Chances are good you'll end up wasting $1450 in tubes you will never use.

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #191 of 3,356
Got it, thanks. One more Q. Any way one could go wrong in inserting the tube into the amp? Like, wrong pins into wrong sockets. Or is it just direct and there is no way one could go wrong there?

There is a notch that you line up, which will prevent insertion unless you force it. It's very apparent when you see it.

Apr 2, 2018 at 9:38 AM Post #192 of 3,356
That was when the magic happened for me, after plugging in the Ken-Rad (love that tube). However I also suspect a certain amount of burn occurred? Though I'm not sure. I'm not used to this happening on most Schiit amplifiers I have used before.

Regardless, all my tubes were sufficiently burned in (not like MCTH, where I had a brand new tube and needed to let it settle for 24-48 hours). But the Lyr 3 became smooth a week after on and off use - not a constant burn. Just a suggestion that if it sounds slightly brittle - not bright, but just slightly edgy - give it a few days.
I got 2 quick questions:
1. This Ken-Rad tube that you like so much - can you please provide more info (full name, estimated cost, etc.)?
2. I already own Jot and MCTH, and thinking of buying the Lyr3 to replace Jot (while keeping MCTH). Can you provide comparison to MCTH?

Thanks!

Apr 2, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #195 of 3,356

Schiit is pretty good about providing protection for their equipment but it is a good idea to have your phones connected before you turn on the amp with volume at zero. Tubes want to see a load. Warm up a few minutes before you listen. If you need to change phones turn down volume to zero. If you want to change the tube turn off wait a good half hour for the tube to cool completely. Don't rush. Enjoy your Lyr 3!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back