Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Mar 31, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #151 of 3,350
Using LISST might be limiting SQ for you. It's a hybrid amp, so you should not expect to hear the same magnitude of differences rolling tubes compared to a pure tube amp. But at least try the new Tung Sol 6SN7 Schitt offers. Some who have done extensive rolling with the Lyr 3 most prefer NOS Hytron 6SN7GT (about $80.)
I did pick up the Tung Sol 6SN7. Tubes are new to me and I won't have any time the next few days to start learning about this stuff and try that tube.

Mar 31, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #152 of 3,350
I would say making a comparison like that would not be doing the amp justice. There's something special about this new architecture that makes comparing it against other amps difficult.

If I had to use a % rating, I would say it sounds 60% OTL and 60% SS.

Enjoy.

:dt880smile:

Mar 31, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #153 of 3,350
I would say making a comparison like that would not be doing the amp justice. There's something special about this new architecture that makes comparing it against other amps difficult.

If I had to use a % rating, I would say it sounds 60% OTL and 60% SS.

Enjoy.
Well said.

Mar 31, 2018 at 5:35 PM Post #155 of 3,350
Mar 31, 2018 at 10:23 PM Post #158 of 3,350
70% Tube and 50% SS?

I believe the Professor is saying the Lyr 3 with Tubes exceeeds expectations significantly, with the LISST, slightly less so.

Mar 31, 2018 at 11:34 PM Post #159 of 3,350
I'm currently using a Jot and Valhalla 2 (with a Bimby as the source), but last night I ordered a Lyr 3 to compare. I wish there was an easy way to stack all three amps, but I'd need spacers to make room for the tubes! Anyone know of a place to order custom-machined aluminum blocks?

It'll have to be a dual to the death between the Lyr 3 and Valhalla 2 since the form factor will limit me to keeping only one.

Apr 1, 2018 at 12:05 AM Post #160 of 3,350
I believe the Professor is saying the Lyr 3 with Tubes exceeeds expectations significantly, with the LISST, slightly less so.
Maybe it will exceed yours and his, but if it is an amplifier of a tube amplifier even though it is a hybrid I want it to have that heat that everyone, I do not expect it to be the same as an OTL but I hope but also I do not want it to have the totally flat and neutral signature of an SS, but if Lyr 3 has the best of both worlds then I might consider buying it.

Apr 1, 2018 at 1:38 AM Post #161 of 3,350
... I do not expect it to be the same as an OTL but I hope but also I do not want it to have the totally flat and neutral signature of an SS...
I'm glad to read that. Obviously, it is not an OTL amp. The solid-state part of it won't let it be as wet and lush sounding as you can get with OTL.

Rather it is one of the best solid-state implementations I have heard, with a liquid and holographic tube sound blended into its DNA. I've heard many tube amps that sounds far more sterile than the Lyr, and a plenty of solid state amps that were less clean and impactful. This is what I mean by giving the Lyr a 60/60% rating.

If your goal is to get a sound like what the ZDS, WA6, Crack, or other OTL amps provide, then the Lyr 3 isn't going to sound like those. What the Lyr does best is take an ultra clean, supremely impactful and detailed solid state sound and gives it a soul.

Is it the best of both worlds? Hmmm... Maybe. There's way too much personal preference involved in personal audio to make any claims such as that. I also think your choice in transducer plays a very important role in this as well.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #162 of 3,350
ProfFalkin - Well said again.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2018 at 8:48 AM Post #163 of 3,350
I'm glad to read that. Obviously, it is not an OTL amp. The solid-state part of it won't let it be as wet and lush sounding as you can get with OTL.

Rather it is one of the best solid-state implementations I have heard, with a liquid and holographic tube sound blended into its DNA. I've heard many tube amps that sounds far more sterile than the Lyr, and a plenty of solid state amps that were less clean and impactful. This is what I mean by giving the Lyr a 60/60% rating.

If your goal is to get a sound like what the ZDS, WA6, Crack, or other OTL amps provide, then the Lyr 3 isn't going to sound like those. What the Lyr does best is take an ultra clean, supremely impactful and detailed solid state sound and gives it a soul.

Is it the best of both worlds? Hmmm... Maybe. There's way too much personal preference involved in personal audio to make any claims such as that. I also think your choice in transducer plays a very important role in this as well.

What the Lyr does best is take an ultra clean, supremely impactful and detailed solid state sound and gives it a soul.

Wow. I think that's the best description for a (good) hybrid amp that I've ever seen. Nice!

Apr 1, 2018 at 9:10 AM Post #164 of 3,350
Using LISST might be limiting SQ for you. It's a hybrid amp, so you should not expect to hear the same magnitude of differences rolling tubes compared to a pure tube amp. But at least try the new Tung Sol 6SN7 Schitt offers. Some who have done extensive rolling with the Lyr 3 most prefer NOS Hytron 6SN7GT (about $80.)

The Hytron 6SN7GT is an excellent sounding tube, though the JAN 5692 is even better. I don't have my Lyr 3 yet, but the CBS/Hytron 5692 is my current favorite in the Vali2 (using an adapter, of course).

Hytron 6SN7GT on left, 5692 on right:
10mo7qp.jpg

Apr 1, 2018 at 9:51 AM Post #165 of 3,350
Bcowen - I would love to hear your thoughts, once you give them a try, in the lyr 3.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back