Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Nov 13, 2018 at 9:57 PM Post #1,576 of 3,350
Well, in that case, weclome -- the WHORES await!!! :D

Nov 14, 2018 at 12:01 AM Post #1,577 of 3,350
Hi guys,

Listening to my new Lyr3 and enjoying it greatly :)

However, I noticed a problem when I picked it up to move it slightly.
When I held it and there was pressure from my hand applied on the underside in the middle of the amp, the left channel cut out.
It seems even a moderate pressure on the underside below or near the tube makes the left channel go silent.
This doesn't seem quite normal to me, or is it? Anyone else notice this?
I picked mine up with some channel locks, banged it on the desk and hit it with a hammer and no dropouts, just some tube ringing.
Ok... maybe not. I did pick it up with both hands and squeezed points all the way around. No reaction but the sweet sound of music.

Nov 14, 2018 at 5:55 AM Post #1,578 of 3,350
I picked up mine yesterday tried to flex the bottom plate with both hands, nothing happened.

Attachments

• upload_2018-11-14_5-54-30.png
    upload_2018-11-14_5-54-30.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 0
Nov 14, 2018 at 9:28 AM Post #1,579 of 3,350
Thanks for checking everyone, meanwhile I got a reply from Schiit (in 45 minutes from sending the question), and what they said was basically that if both channels work when it’s standing flat with no pressure on the bottom it should be fine. So I’ll try not to worry about it and just listen to the music :)

Edit: ..and collect more tubes! :D

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2018 at 11:18 AM Post #1,580 of 3,350
Thanks for checking everyone, meanwhile I got a reply from Schiit (in 45 minutes from sending the question), and what they said was basically that if both channels work when it’s standing flat with no pressure on the bottom it should be fine. So I’ll try not to worry about it and just listen to the music :)

That was their professional way of saying "Quit fondling your Lyr." :relaxed:

Still pretty darn strange though....

Nov 14, 2018 at 6:08 PM Post #1,581 of 3,350

That response really surprises me. If you've ruled out bad patch cords and their connections, in all likelihood there is a cold soldier joint or some other loose connection in there. This is not normal or common. There is a problem somewhere. Did you try just moving the patch cords around without moving the amp?

Nov 14, 2018 at 6:41 PM Post #1,583 of 3,350
That response really surprises me. If you've ruled out bad patch cords and their connections, in all likelihood there is a cold soldier joint or some other loose connection in there. This is not normal or common. There is a problem somewhere. Did you try just moving the patch cords around without moving the amp?

The full response to my question was that they had not heard of this before, and that the Lyr 3 is not designed to have pressure on the bottom, but if both channels works correctly when it is placed on a flat surface then it should be fine. But if it happens when it is sitting on a flat surface, then they would need to troubleshoot.

Now, I didn't buy directly from Schiit, but from schiit-europe. I already got one Lyr3 replaced from them because the left channel didn't work at all. This one (which has the very next serial number) works, but has this somewhat strange problem.. I have emailed them 2 days ago and not yet received a reply. Not nearly the same response time as Schiit-US.

But as you say, it does feel a bit odd and not quite normal doesn't it? I have only USB and headphones connected, and those cords are both fine. I've checked them.
The cold solder joint idea sounds probable because I can hold the amp still with both hands on either side and have it working, but give a squeeze with my right hand (that is near the tube) and the left channel goes out. Release and it's back. I might just try to shoot them another email to see what they think about this.

Nov 14, 2018 at 6:47 PM Post #1,584 of 3,350
Hi guys,

Listening to my new Lyr3 and enjoying it greatly :)

However, I noticed a problem when I picked it up to move it slightly.
When I held it and there was pressure from my hand applied on the underside in the middle of the amp, the left channel cut out.
It seems even a moderate pressure on the underside below or near the tube makes the left channel go silent.
This doesn't seem quite normal to me, or is it? Anyone else notice this?
First thought was: Don’t move it whilst it’s on! Second (more coherent) thought is: Might be something about grounding the board due to chassis flex with handling pressure. Third thought (based on second thought) was: Refer back to first thought!

Edit: will give mine a squeeze... did, no response, just music..

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2018 at 5:24 PM Post #1,585 of 3,350
First thought was: Don’t move it whilst it’s on! Second (more coherent) thought is: Might be something about grounding the board due to chassis flex with handling pressure. Third thought (based on second thought) was: Refer back to first thought!

Edit: will give mine a squeeze... did, no response, just music..

Thanks for checking. I just had a thought and did another test; if i gently push down on the tube with the other hand instead of releasing the squeeze the channel also comes back. I have tried two different tubes, same with both. Maybe there's something with the socket.. solder-wise or otherwise.

Nov 16, 2018 at 12:23 AM Post #1,586 of 3,350
Thanks for checking. I just had a thought and did another test; if i gently push down on the tube with the other hand instead of releasing the squeeze the channel also comes back. I have tried two different tubes, same with both. Maybe there's something with the socket.. solder-wise or otherwise.

Either it’s not normal, and that’s a problem, or it’s normal, and that’s a problem. Schiit will probably want to look at this. Two units in a row losing a channel, one intermittently, suggests it’s a potential QC issue and worth investigating, at least to the point of verifying how much applied force recreates the problem.

Nov 16, 2018 at 8:36 AM Post #1,587 of 3,350
Either it’s not normal, and that’s a problem, or it’s normal, and that’s a problem. Schiit will probably want to look at this. Two units in a row losing a channel, one intermittently, suggests it’s a potential QC issue and worth investigating, at least to the point of verifying how much applied force recreates the problem.

Totally agree. The case is rigid enough that no amount of pressure applied only by hand should cause a channel to drop out. There has to be a bad solder joint or a contact that is grounding out on the case.

EDIT: If it were me (and everyone is glad they're not :grimacing:) I'd take off the cover and take a look inside. The cover isn't hard to get off once you know how....

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2018 at 3:42 PM Post #1,588 of 3,350

After I got back to them and described the problem in more detail they offered to take
It back on warranty.

It occurred to me that there is the possibility that it might be a transport issue. The amp sits well cushioned in the box, but the European power cord has a larger/thicker plug to the wall outlet than the US one, and the cord was placed under the amp in the box. Only thing between the cord plug and the amp is just a layer of cardboard and not much room to spare. If the box is handled roughly and lands/is hit in the bottom the cord plug could transfer the force right to the bottom of the amp.. for other amps this might not be a problem, but the Lyr3 has heat sinks attached to the bottom that must be in contact with components on the circuit board, doesn’t it?

Nov 16, 2018 at 4:09 PM Post #1,589 of 3,350
After I got back to them and described the problem in more detail they offered to take
It back on warranty.

It occurred to me that there is the possibility that it might be a transport issue. The amp sits well cushioned in the box, but the European power cord has a larger/thicker plug to the wall outlet than the US one, and the cord was placed under the amp in the box. Only thing between the cord plug and the amp is just a layer of cardboard and not much room to spare. If the box is handled roughly and lands/is hit in the bottom the cord plug could transfer the force right to the bottom of the amp.. for other amps this might not be a problem, but the Lyr3 has heat sinks attached to the bottom that must be in contact with components on the circuit board, doesn’t it?

Unlikely, although anything is possible. If the heat sinks for the Mosfets (or whatever output transistor they are using) are mounted to the bottom of the board and are in close proximity to the case, they would likely use insulation kits to isolate the heatsink electrically. If the heatsinks don't have insulation kits and contacted the case at some point, it would result in the unforgettable smell of electronic barbecue. :relaxed:

Nov 16, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #1,590 of 3,350
Unlikely, although anything is possible. If the heat sinks for the Mosfets (or whatever output transistor they are using) are mounted to the bottom of the board and are in close proximity to the case, they would likely use insulation kits to isolate the heatsink electrically. If the heatsinks don't have insulation kits and contacted the case at some point, it would result in the unforgettable smell of electronic barbecue. :relaxed:

Yes, they are sure to be insulated, but I’m not thinking short circuits here but that the force of a bump (or many) could knock off a solder joint, causing it to go intermittent. Maybe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back