Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Nov 24, 2018 at 3:00 AM Post #1,607 of 3,350
Anybody using the Lyr 3 with LCD2-C's Currently using Magni 3 which is great value for what it is but intrested in trying the Lyr 3

Currently using the LCD2-F with the Lyr 3 + Foton 6H8C ribbed plates, which I prefer over the Sylvania 2-hole. The Magni 3 powers the LCD nicely enough though but the Lyr does bring out those extras.

Nov 24, 2018 at 3:01 AM Post #1,608 of 3,350
Anybody using the Lyr 3 with LCD2-C's Currently using Magni 3 which is great value for what it is but intrested in trying the Lyr 3
If you like the sound of the LCD2C, the Lyr 3 is a good pairing. I had the combo paired up for 2 weeks, and thought it was ok.

Nov 24, 2018 at 3:16 AM Post #1,609 of 3,350
I love my LCD2-C's for my Genre of music deep house oldskool house the Bass is great on these aswell as vocals but im intrested in trying other amps now. The Magni does power them fine but i feel like im missing something that the Magni doesn't give me and that's not saying the Magni ain't good its very good for the money paid

Nov 24, 2018 at 11:21 AM Post #1,612 of 3,350
My personal experience and that of some others that have posted up previously is that the 5692 is a 'meh' pairing with Lyr 3. Not bad, but nothing to write home about. Best way to describe it is that it is a polite sounding tube -- nothing bad about it, but nothing worth noting on the positive side either.

Nov 24, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #1,613 of 3,350
Anybody run a 5692? 6SN7 are getting expensive, good thing you only need one.
Got a NOS 1950 2-hole Sylvania "Bad Boy" from Brent Jessee for $50 (+postage) a while ago, but only testing it now because my home office was under construction and most of my audio gear was boxed. Liking it a lot on my Lyr 3. A bit more bass-tilted than other, much more expensive, 6SN7s I've liked (NOS Ken Rad VT-231, Psvane 6SN7-SE) but I could easily stick with it as a good, engaging pairing with the Lyr.

Nov 24, 2018 at 6:48 PM Post #1,614 of 3,350
The battle of the headamps:
My home office is finally redone with a nice shelf for audio gear and bookshelves for way too many books. Here's the testbench: Lyr 3 on the left, with a just-started-to-burn-in Sylvania two-hole Bad Boy, in the middle the Apex Peak with the Psvane 6SN7-SE, a backwards-connected SYS to allow me to switch between the two amps stacked on the Peak, and on the right a stack of a Metrum Onyx DAC and a Metrum Ambre streamer. Storage cabinets under the bookshelves have room for a good 6SN7 collection :L3000: Under the shelf, you may spy power cables going to a Furman power conditioner, and the Peak's DC power cable going to its Volcano LPS.

CWJwqun2uaWF1ITHKtFRIZdcupwF4IBkBFrbAgOpErl_DSA1Kuzf9V0GuUJaD7LInll7VtSID8ZYbO6HBUNWMy1QNVZ7Q35l4uHaBuM_0bkbuNITclyxsFZC6HJIzX_TZW-coUDN-mqKWXVvacie5EqQDkVjCh0oSAoEVqkx16IaW0T44SEfIQzlsDZIO-6k4cD-G7DL51Ynw-2lgZJbyqQlEBx50a2NdyWyl3xxJhtq0KtRVo5KfrqA2JwRNe1E4VZFH5CqqVKtMjogJm9iC64TZ5hXvn7udvqs7aD8P1a2y7bAGwan57LqnzF1DsZaRm0xsPsjMbRnaHN2y2FodEFodktNbzlMEup8UCPuxSXOpTr1hcV6kKQxqvT3_7mVyKsGcVs4xcXKri6ZeXR_f1nXwiq_xtUh0b0JqdHpN7LGafjZ8MLcGPGR6RFMw2nG8zz4FAdYo7UB81QfCjmGMy7RBDzz7iQTEYWZeKO7F_7v66P7etutQ0MCfc8iJzNzkyM-5uskHyu_0pM_qGIaiPykhW2E5MZ71LcC-M0VBwJLWlIdYIYOElJdmBOyagHErr-56wwdFSMNuMaW_aQAKLCH1zgW17fKAzIaLanRGg4zhuVT9Wr7yjuy83nFgSjClZYBii993tZKdTDT71n3Z4eUnC3Cx2aA8sCpYgzLozzKSWEt-Km-IKygpUwtT14KjRI-BjyGsbdY=w1219-h796-no
Battle of the two amps, first round. Listening to a fantastic recent hi-res Linn recording of medieval vocal music Parle Qui Veut by Sollazzo Ensemble. Lyr 3+Bad Boy is very engaging, warm without being treacly. However, Peak+Psvane has some extra refinement, getting more of the micro-detail in softer soloist passages, of the fine-grained character of individual voices and breaths, and covering the full dynamic range without fuzziness (which is curious as the Lyr has way more power). If I was not listening so closely, I would probably have missed these differences.

Need to get my impartial judge (my wife) to do some listening.

Speaking for the Lyr, it cost new less than 1/3 of what the Peak+Volcano LPS cost originally (I got mine used, of course, they haven't been made since 2011 or so). And the Psvane cost 4x the Bad Boy. In other words, the Lyr 3 with a decent NOS tube comes to the neighborhood of 3.5x more expensive gear. Impressive.

Nov 26, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #1,615 of 3,350
Hi guys,
I have Beyerdynamics DT880 250Ω and tried it with Magni 3 and Vali 2. With Magni 3 it was not a good matchup - too harsh treble. I very liked the Vali 2 sound with stock tube. It took the harsh treble off. I would like to buy something better - should i buy Ly3 with 4490 DAC module or Valhalla 2 with Bifrost 4490?

Nov 27, 2018 at 9:44 PM Post #1,617 of 3,350
Hi guys,
I have Beyerdynamics DT880 250Ω and tried it with Magni 3 and Vali 2. With Magni 3 it was not a good matchup - too harsh treble. I very liked the Vali 2 sound with stock tube. It took the harsh treble off. I would like to buy something better - should i buy Ly3 with 4490 DAC module or Valhalla 2 with Bifrost 4490?

My experience with the Magni 3 is there is something not quite right with the treble, and while “harsh” may be a bit strong (metallic maybe?), it certainly seems to be there. I hear it more on some phones than others, but once noticed, it’s kind of obvious. I don’t hear it with the Lyr 3 at all with any of the tubes I’ve tried. I was using a 4490 based DAC upstream of the Lyr for a while and it sounded great so I don’t think you’ll hear any harshness if you use the module, but YMMV. Never heard a Valhalla so no comments there.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #1,618 of 3,350
If you're set on high impedance HPs like the DT880 250 ohm or HD6XX 300 ohm and don't think you'll be venturing into low impedance HP's, the Valhalla 2 is an incredible amplifier. As a Class A, Single-ended Triode, OTL amp it has a wonderfully warm tube sound w/o getting all mushy and syrupy. Given its price, it would pair nicely with a Bifrost MB instead of 4490 with the $$ saved over Lyr 3 to give you an even richer sound.

If you want to keep options open for future low impedance HPs or planars, the Lyr 3 is definitely an easy recommendation as a SS / Tube hybrid. It does equally well on low or high impedance HPs and is a very potent and smooth sounding amplifier. A coin-toss as they are both really good amps, but VH2 needs careful HP impedance matching.

I wouldn't sell either of mine. :wink:

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2018 at 3:42 AM Post #1,619 of 3,350
My experience with the Magni 3 is there is something not quite right with the treble, and while “harsh” may be a bit strong (metallic maybe?), it certainly seems to be there. I hear it more on some phones than others, but once noticed, it’s kind of obvious. I don’t hear it with the Lyr 3 at all with any of the tubes I’ve tried. I was using a 4490 based DAC upstream of the Lyr for a while and it sounded great so I don’t think you’ll hear any harshness if you use the module, but YMMV. Never heard a Valhalla so no comments there.

If you're set on high impedance HPs like the DT880 250 ohm or HD6XX 300 ohm and don't think you'll be venturing into low impedance HP's, the Valhalla 2 is an incredible amplifier. As a Class A, Single-ended Triode, OTL amp it has a wonderfully warm tube sound w/o getting all mushy and syrupy. Given its price, it would pair nicely with a Bifrost MB instead of 4490 with the $$ saved over Lyr 3 to give you an even richer sound.

If you want to keep options open for future low impedance HPs or planars, the Lyr 3 is definitely an easy recommendation as a SS / Tube hybrid. It does equally well on low or high impedance HPs and is a very potent and smooth sounding amplifier. A coin-toss as they are both really good amps, but VH2 needs careful HP impedance matching.

Guys thanks a lot - very helpful for me :)

Nov 28, 2018 at 10:06 AM Post #1,620 of 3,350

Not even for a million dollars? Crap. Guess I'll have to find something else to do with the money...

:slight_smile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back