Lyr 3 - The new Coherence™ and Continuity™ hybrid amplifier from Schiit - Impression & discussion thread
Nov 11, 2018 at 2:08 PM Post #1,546 of 3,350
Normally I’d think Jot or Asgard. I’m just a little distrustful of Schiit reliability at the moment. I thought about picking up a Cavelli Liquid platinum, but that would mean two tube amps. Not necessarily a bad thing, but isn’t cheap. Right now I’m using a FIIO Q5. It’s no desktop DAC / Amp but it does a decent job on clarity and detail. Perhaps I just need to see what’s on the for sale forum and try something new.
This gets very good reviews, but I've never heard it myself.

Nov 11, 2018 at 3:20 PM Post #1,548 of 3,350
I understand your reservations, but if Schiit gear had a serious QC issue, I think it would be all over Head-fi and the web. In my case it was a faulty resistor that took our a servo control -- not an engineering issue. Now with you failure, I only know of 4 folks that have posted about an issue with a Lyr 3 failure -- myself and you included.

Part of my problem is that sound wise, the Lyr 3 + AFO is pretty hard to beat and I already have a collection of tubes I like. If I want equal performance, I’m going to end up spending a not insignificant amount of money. Mostly, I’m just annoyed I won’t be losing myself in sonic bliss for a while.

Nov 11, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #1,549 of 3,350
I’ve seen a lot of positive commentary, but not much on specs. I’d want to see something that gives me an idea of its performance with a wide range of impedances.
MrSpeakers sell 3 solid-state amps: Jot, Gilmore Lite mk2, and Ragnarok. Dan wrote good things about the Gilmore for his headphones elsewhere in Head-Fi. My "backup" amp is a Neurochrome HP-1. I like the Lyr 3 with a good tube better, the Jot less.

Nov 11, 2018 at 4:52 PM Post #1,550 of 3,350
I understand your reservations, but if Schiit gear had a serious QC issue, I think it would be all over Head-fi and the web. In my case it was a faulty resistor that took our a servo control -- not an engineering issue. Now with you failure, I only know of 4 folks that have posted about an issue with a Lyr 3 failure -- myself and you included.

Yeah, and @Ripper2860 's was most likely due to user error, so that makes only 3 that have failed on their own. :stuck_out_tongue:

Nov 11, 2018 at 6:37 PM Post #1,551 of 3,350
Maybe. Highly unlikely, but cannot be ruled out. :wink:

Nov 11, 2018 at 7:00 PM Post #1,552 of 3,350
MrSpeakers sell 3 solid-state amps: Jot, Gilmore Lite mk2, and Ragnarok. Dan wrote good things about the Gilmore for his headphones elsewhere in Head-Fi. My "backup" amp is a Neurochrome HP-1. I like the Lyr 3 with a good tube better, the Jot less.

Good to know. I think I’ll probably just wait for the Lyr to come back. I can manage for a couple weeks with my Q5 and Magni. What would I do with another amp which is no better and probably not as good as the Lyr?

Nov 11, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #1,553 of 3,350
I own and highly recommend the Gilmore Lite Mk2 !!
In fact, I bought the very first production unit (Serial # 1) :)
My favorite solid state amp for sure.

Nov 11, 2018 at 7:47 PM Post #1,554 of 3,350
I own and highly recommend the Gilmore Lite Mk2 !!
In fact, I bought the very first production unit (Serial # 1) :)
My favorite solid state amp for sure.
Have you compared to any other solid state amps? I was quite impressed with it at rmaf on the ZMF booth. Really did nice things for the Eikon and Verite.

Nov 11, 2018 at 7:50 PM Post #1,555 of 3,350
Have you compared to any other solid state amps? I was quite impressed with it at rmaf on the ZMF booth. Really did nice things for the Eikon and Verite.
I only really compared it to Schiit Jot. The Gilmore is warmer and smoother, very musical, compared to the Jot which is more neutral and dry, analytical, and non-musical IMHO.
I also own the Massdrop LCX, but never really compared the 2...

Nov 11, 2018 at 7:54 PM Post #1,556 of 3,350
I only really compared it to Schiit Jot. The Gilmore is warmer and smoother, very musical, compared to the Jot which is more neutral and dry, analytical, and non-musical IMHO.
I also own the Massdrop LCX, but never really compared the 2...
I have owned a jotunheim since it was released, so I'm fairly familiar with how it sounds. My initial impression of the Gilmore is pretty much what you just said. Take that with a giant grain of salt, as it was with unfamiliar headphones and in show conditions. Good to hear you say it though, as it confirms I'm not completely deaf. haha

I kind of want one. The Lyr3 is fantastic, but tubes are stressing me out. Personal problem.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 8:10 PM Post #1,557 of 3,350
In my opinion, the Gilmore Lite is the perfect solid state amp for people who love tube amp sound! Smooth, warm and musical.

Nov 11, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #1,558 of 3,350
In my opinion, the Gilmore Lite is the perfect solid state amp for people who love tube amp sound! Smooth, warm and musical.
IMO, that crown would go to the EC Black Widow 2. :wink:

(Practically unobtainium however...)

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 9:32 PM Post #1,559 of 3,350
Good to know. I think I’ll probably just wait for the Lyr to come back. I can manage for a couple weeks with my Q5 and Magni. What would I do with another amp which is no better and probably not as good as the Lyr?
Only thing you can do. That silly one-tubed amp is an absolute jewel. Parts give out, people don't.

Edit: I know, the Lyr 3 ain't silly...

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #1,560 of 3,350

Users who are viewing this thread

Back