Lynx Hilo - new offering from Pro Audio company.
Jan 17, 2015 at 6:28 PM Post #661 of 762
I installed firmware update without any issues (thank God :wink: )

I saw your post on the Lynx support forum when I was looking for information on my issue earlier. I don't doubt you'll get great information-- they literally released a firmware update to fix my specific issue (6.1B, I think), which is pretty mind-boggling to me. 

You still loving yours?

Jan 17, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #662 of 762

I saw your post on the Lynx support forum when I was looking for information on my issue earlier. I don't doubt you'll get great information-- they literally released a firmware update to fix my specific issue (6.1B, I think), which is pretty mind-boggling to me. 

You still loving yours?

I updated DAC's firmware to 6.2 without any problems, just can't update USB-LT to 10.0.

Hilo is a lovely DAC. Headphone amp sounds great with HD800, that infamous sibilance is gone!
It should pair well with my OTL amp. I will let you guys know asap.

Cheers!

Jan 26, 2015 at 12:45 AM Post #663 of 762
I have a Furutech Esprit that I use as a headphone amp, ADC for digitizing vinyl, and a DAC for JRiver on my laptop.  The Lynx Hilo seems like a nice upgrade to get those same features.  I am also considering a dedicated DAC and keeping the Esprit for the ADC and headphone amp.  Is the DAC on the Hilo competitive with a dedicated DAC in the same price range?  Would the DAC and headphone amp sound better than the Esprit?

Could anyone recommend a good place to purchase the Hilo?

Jan 26, 2015 at 5:40 PM Post #664 of 762
Is the DAC competitive with a similarly priced unit without the extra features?  I haven't heard everything, but I think it is competitive (e.g.) with the Auralic Vega and the PS PWD-II, which I have heard.

As to whether it will sound better than the Esprit, I don't know -- I haven't used the Esprit.

The first post in this thread gives information on a place to buy the Hilo at a very good price. I bought from them and have been happy.

Jan 26, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #665 of 762
  Is the DAC competitive with a similarly priced unit without the extra features?  I haven't heard everything, but I think it is competitive (e.g.) with the Auralic Vega and the PS PWD-II, which I have heard.

As to whether it will sound better than the Esprit, I don't know -- I haven't used the Esprit.

The first post in this thread gives information on a place to buy the Hilo at a very good price. I bought from them and have been happy.

Thanks for the info. 

I have not heard enough DACs to know how the Esprit compares to others, but my instinct tells me it sounds very good for the money and I like how it offers a lot of utility. 

The Lynx Hilo seems to be a nice upgrade that offers even more utility than the Esprit.  I read the Hilo use the CS4398 DACs and all the rage seems to be focused on the ESS9018 DACs.  However, I understand that everything is dependent on implementation. 

Furutech is going to release the Stratos (similar to the Esprit), but the Stratos uses the CS4392 chip which should be very similar to the CS4398.

I did find some posts where the forum members claimed to have sold their Hilos after getting the Auralic Vega, but that all comes down to personal preference and system synergy.

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:11 PM Post #666 of 762
One other area that might be worth considering when looking at a DAC is the level of ongoing support. Given how quickly the market is moving right now on DACs (32/384, DSD, double DSD, etc), knowing that you have a product that the company is legitimately committed to supporting makes a big difference. Ultimately, it was among the deciding features that caused me to choose the Hilo over other options, and I've been frankly flabbergasted by the level of support, particularly at the end-user level. (I had an issue with my unit, and after working with me and offering to remotely log in to troubleshoot it, they ended up writing a firmware update that fixed my specific issue-- that is incredible in my book!)

As far as the headphone amp goes, I actually like it better than most other headphone amps I've heard. I prefer it to the unbalanced output of my Audio-gd Master 8, for example.

Ultimately, there are a ton of top-tier DACs out there competing for your hard-earned cash, and there might very well be one that suits you better than the Hilo. But if you have an opportunity to check one out, I couldn't recommend it more strongly. I've been utterly delighted by mine!

Jan 26, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #667 of 762
  One other area that might be worth considering when looking at a DAC is the level of ongoing support. Given how quickly the market is moving right now on DACs (32/384, DSD, double DSD, etc), knowing that you have a product that the company is legitimately committed to supporting makes a big difference. Ultimately, it was among the deciding features that caused me to choose the Hilo over other options, and I've been frankly flabbergasted by the level of support, particularly at the end-user level. (I had an issue with my unit, and after working with me and offering to remotely log in to troubleshoot it, they ended up writing a firmware update that fixed my specific issue-- that is incredible in my book!)

As far as the headphone amp goes, I actually like it better than most other headphone amps I've heard. I prefer it to the unbalanced output of my Audio-gd Master 8, for example.

Ultimately, there are a ton of top-tier DACs out there competing for your hard-earned cash, and there might very well be one that suits you better than the Hilo. But if you have an opportunity to check one out, I couldn't recommend it more strongly. I've been utterly delighted by mine!

I read about your customer service experience and that definitely impressed me.  I also have considered Wyred4Sound because they are US based and take care of their customers. 

I really like the features being offered in the Lynx Hilo.  I would use it as a headphone amp, ADC for vinyl rips, and as a DAC for streaming music from my computer.  

I am glad to hear that the headphone amp has met your expectations.  In the end, the DAC performance is the most critical feature for my priorities.  If the DAC does a good job of decoding and sounds both musical and accurate I will be happy.  I have read that it can stream DSD64 but I am yet to confirm if it can stream DSD128.

I read that the Hilo supports scenes.  That is a cool feature.  I could set one scene for receive analog source in from my preamp's tape out and send the output to the USB ADC for digitizing vinyl.  I could set another scene for play USB input and send output to the monitor out that will be connected to an input on my preamp for playback.

The customer service level and Hilo's features are appealing, as long as the DAC performance is excellent for home audio use.  I was impressed that Mike-48 thought the Lynx was on par with the Auralic Vega and PS-PWD II.

Jan 27, 2015 at 5:41 AM Post #668 of 762
  I read about your customer service experience and that definitely impressed me.  I also have considered Wyred4Sound because they are US based and take care of their customers. 

I really like the features being offered in the Lynx Hilo.  I would use it as a headphone amp, ADC for vinyl rips, and as a DAC for streaming music from my computer.  

I am glad to hear that the headphone amp has met your expectations.  In the end, the DAC performance is the most critical feature for my priorities.  If the DAC does a good job of decoding and sounds both musical and accurate I will be happy.  I have read that it can stream DSD64 but I am yet to confirm if it can stream DSD128.

I read that the Hilo supports scenes.  That is a cool feature.  I could set one scene for receive analog source in from my preamp's tape out and send the output to the USB ADC for digitizing vinyl.  I could set another scene for play USB input and send output to the monitor out that will be connected to an input on my preamp for playback.

The customer service level and Hilo's features are appealing, as long as the DAC performance is excellent for home audio use.  I was impressed that Mike-48 thought the Lynx was on par with the Auralic Vega and PS-PWD II.

Wyred4Sound is another great company. I've got their preamp and had a few brief exchanges with their guys and have nothing but positives to share.

You know, I've never even messed with the scenes, as I currently only have one input I actually use (USB). There's so much functionality on this sucker it's kind of mind-blowing. I do plan, like you, on ripping my vinyl collection at some point as well, and the feedback from Gearslutz on the transparency of the ADC and DAC was highly impressive to me.

The feature I am most looking forward to playing with now (and haven't even finished setting up yet) is the redirector, which seems particularly interesting to me.

At any rate, keep us posted on your journey! Hope you end up with something you love!!

Jan 27, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #669 of 762

Wyred4Sound is another great company. I've got their preamp and had a few brief exchanges with their guys and have nothing but positives to share.

You know, I've never even messed with the scenes, as I currently only have one input I actually use (USB). There's so much functionality on this sucker it's kind of mind-blowing. I do plan, like you, on ripping my vinyl collection at some point as well, and the feedback from Gearslutz on the transparency of the ADC and DAC was highly impressive to me.

The feature I am most looking forward to playing with now (and haven't even finished setting up yet) is the redirector, which seems particularly interesting to me.

At any rate, keep us posted on your journey! Hope you end up with something you love!!

Thanks for the follow up.  This is an expensive item to buy without auditioning, but there is a lot of positive feedback and I like the fact that I can get support if needed without shipping out of the country.  I did find that DSD128 is not currently offered but can be added in the future.

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:39 PM Post #670 of 762
  Thanks for the follow up.  This is an expensive item to buy without auditioning, but there is a lot of positive feedback and I like the fact that I can get support if needed without shipping out of the country.  I did find that DSD128 is not currently offered but can be added in the future.

No problem man. As a thought, because Lynx is a pro audio company rather than an "audiophile" company, it seems (at least in my corner of the world) a good deal easier to find a dealer within a reasonable drive. Might be worth finding a dealer, making sure s/he'll let you listen, and then heading up there with a laptop or something full of music to spend a couple of hours. Although I doubt you'd end up disliking the Hilo, there's nothing worse than saving up the money, getting worked up about something, and then being disappointed once you get it. A good demo will at least give you an idea of whether or not it's for you.

Jan 27, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #671 of 762

No problem man. As a thought, because Lynx is a pro audio company rather than an "audiophile" company, it seems (at least in my corner of the world) a good deal easier to find a dealer within a reasonable drive. Might be worth finding a dealer, making sure s/he'll let you listen, and then heading up there with a laptop or something full of music to spend a couple of hours. Although I doubt you'd end up disliking the Hilo, there's nothing worse than saving up the money, getting worked up about something, and then being disappointed once you get it. A good demo will at least give you an idea of whether or not it's for you.

That is a great suggestion, the only problem is that I really need hear it in my own system.  I have a very nice two-channel system with a HT pass through to integrate my home theater setup.  My vinyl rig is very resolving.  I feel like my DAC is one of the few things that is not on the same level as the rest of my system.  The Hilo is awesome because it also replaces the ADC feature I use on my exiting DAC.  I have found a place that will let me audition the Hilo, and if it does not work out I am out shipping both ways.  I should be able to tell quickly if it is voiced how I like.  I just do not want something that is too clinical (in the vein of the Benchmark DAC1 from my perspective).

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:11 AM Post #672 of 762
Sadly I had to send my unit back, I'm waiting for new one.

All I can say - I love this DAC/AMP. Headphone out is very very good, it has a lot of power! I'm sure it would drive LCD, HiFiMAN HE-500/560 nicely.

HILO Line Out + OTL amp + HD800 is the best setup I ever heard.

BTW Lynx guys are going to upgrade Firmware to 7.0 soon...

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:24 PM Post #673 of 762
  That is a great suggestion, the only problem is that I really need hear it in my own system.  I have a very nice two-channel system with a HT pass through to integrate my home theater setup.  My vinyl rig is very resolving.  I feel like my DAC is one of the few things that is not on the same level as the rest of my system.  The Hilo is awesome because it also replaces the ADC feature I use on my exiting DAC.  I have found a place that will let me audition the Hilo, and if it does not work out I am out shipping both ways.  I should be able to tell quickly if it is voiced how I like.  I just do not want something that is too clinical (in the vein of the Benchmark DAC1 from my perspective).

Ah, makes sense. I'd think somebody would have a demo unit you could try in your home, but I've never actually done that, so I'm not certain about it... I don't think I can recall anyone referring to the Hilo as 'clinical,' although I could be mistaken. Neutral, transparent, clear-- most definitely! But especially with the secondary connotations of sterility, overly etched sound, and lack of emotional communicability, I don't think many people would characterize it as 'clinical,' so I think you'd be good to go in that sense. Anyway, do keep us posted on what you end up trying and eventually going with!!

@yoghurtlidlicker: Awesome to hear you're digging it, man!! The good news is it doesn't seem to wear off or get old like some other gear... I'm about a month away from having had mine for a year, and I just don't really have any urge to upgrade it something else. (Unlike basically everything else I own :p ).

Did they give you any idea what we might expect from a 7.0 fw update?

Jan 28, 2015 at 7:53 PM Post #674 of 762

Ah, makes sense. I'd think somebody would have a demo unit you could try in your home, but I've never actually done that, so I'm not certain about it... I don't think I can recall anyone referring to the Hilo as 'clinical,' although I could be mistaken. Neutral, transparent, clear-- most definitely! But especially with the secondary connotations of sterility, overly etched sound, and lack of emotional communicability, I don't think many people would characterize it as 'clinical,' so I think you'd be good to go in that sense. Anyway, do keep us posted on what you end up trying and eventually going with!!

@yoghurtlidlicker: Awesome to hear you're digging it, man!! The good news is it doesn't seem to wear off or get old like some other gear... I'm about a month away from having had mine for a year, and I just don't really have any urge to upgrade it something else. (Unlike basically everything else I own :p ).

Thanks for defining the sound signature and clarifying that the transparency is not to be mistaken with etched.  Your description aligns with my sound signature preferences.  For example, I have open baffle speakers and digital correction because that lends to an accurate sound that resembles live music to me. 

I had a chance to correspond with someone I know who has heard lots of audio gear and I was surprised to find out they own the Hilo.  That is a testament in my eyes. 

I am receiving a brand new Hilo, not a demo unit.  My card will have a purchase hold and it will be charged through if I decide to keep the Hilo. 

I am glad to hear that you have been happy with the Hilo once the newness wore off.  I am finally at the point where most my components are that way for me so I hope to add the Hilo to my roster of keepers.

I saw that the FW is user upgradeable so I am anxious to see what is released.  Maybe DSD128?

Jan 28, 2015 at 8:07 PM Post #675 of 762

@Theogenes 7.0 should be ready in few weeks time.
They didn't mention any specific features though.
I know that crossfeed is on the wishlist.

HILO is a very musical DAC! I thought that my good, old Wavelength Proton was 'musical' but Hilo is a whole new level.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back