Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 19, 2021 at 7:47 PM Post #1,231 of 5,299
Regarding button volume control you are right with 3 clicks - I haven't realized that before.
That's indeed worth to be fixed Imho.
Regarding the HID KEY on mode though I have to say it's quite flawless, jumping between 1 or 2 steps in both Tidal or Amazon Music on my Apple Watch
That's very convenient
I'll give the HID KEY option a better chance. That should be perfect on my R3 which gives 100 steps normally, it's just not great in native apps on Android. Though if I remember from my DFR days UAPP will also allow to allow me to set my Pixel volume keys to 100 steps to control USB hardware volume.

Mar 19, 2021 at 10:52 PM Post #1,232 of 5,299
For those who updated their W1/W2 fw to the latest 1.0.2.1, the list of changes mentions Xelento-tuned EQ. Is there supposed to be Xelento preset or a new Tune option? I don't see any new EQ presets and Tune is still at 01 and 02.

Mar 19, 2021 at 10:55 PM Post #1,233 of 5,299
I am wondering if Tidal app is doing first unfold regardless of W2 not doing further unfold and therefore having also a very good resolution on W2?
Not sure if you have gotten an answer to your question, and I am not sure I can provide a good one, but I did an experiment with my W2 and my S1. Using my R6 Pro (Android) as a source and Tidal streaming, I played 5 MQA tracks (from 44K to 192K) and one non-MQA track (44K). I played each through UAPP and also through the native Tidal app.

Edit - the S1 is updated to the latest FW. I have not updated the W2 yet.

UAPP:

W2: What I found was a little strange to me, but maybe others can decipher it. For an MQA track the W2 would report on the screen it was playIng at 2X bit rate that UAPP reported the the MQA track was supposed to be - in other words 88.2K if MQA was supposed to be 44.1K and 96K if 48K. Except if the MQA track is encoded for more than 96K - for example, a 192K MQA track would also only be reported as playIng at 96K.

S1: The S1 reported on its screen exactly the same value as what UAPP reported.

Native Tidal app:

W2 and S1 reported on their screens exactly the same thing, whether an MQA or non-MQA, no matter what bit rate it should be, both reported 96K on the screens.

Not sure what to conclude, but thought I would give you the raw data...

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #1,234 of 5,299
For those who updated their W1/W2 fw to the latest 1.0.2.1, the list of changes mentions Xelento-tuned EQ. Is there supposed to be Xelento preset or a new Tune option? I don't see any new EQ presets and Tune is still at 01 and 02.
It is under the SDF, which is the setting option right after EQ.

Attachments

• 54A46F80-5166-4FD4-83A1-1497B46996B1.jpeg
    54A46F80-5166-4FD4-83A1-1497B46996B1.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Mar 20, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #1,236 of 5,299
Why Xelento? Why not any other headphones? I really don't see the point. If L&P is really smart, they should make an app that allows the user to add a (or two) custom tuning that stored on the devices themselves so non-Xelento user can benefit as well.

Mar 20, 2021 at 2:16 AM Post #1,237 of 5,299
Why Xelento? Why not any other headphones? I really don't see the point. If L&P is really smart, they should make an app that allows the user to add a (or two) custom tuning that stored on the devices themselves so non-Xelento user can benefit as well.
I agree, I assume reason is either
a) they are lacking a Frontend to comfortably set some custom eq. Imho this could only be achieved by developing an app for Windows, Android or IOS which is effortsome and not in sight looking at their current firmware update method.
Setting it on the device itself is generally an option too but with this display a challenge (thinking of how I am setting eq on my Sanza Clip 😉)
b) they were looking at IEMs with greatest popularity so many could profit from it (whereas I have no clue where Xelento is on this list and which other IEMS are in their pipeline)

What I am also wondering about is what is optimized for the according IEM to make it sound better?
Like recessed high freq boosted etc
On my Andros the new eq sounds muffled in comparison but that's not surprising as its not a Xelento 😉
I still prefer normal setting for 90% of songs I have been listening to

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 3:18 AM Post #1,238 of 5,299
I see.. I thought the EQ was trying to imitate Xelento sound which is a slight V shaped and not specifically for Xelento so it may sound ok for some setups which doesn't already have elevated bass etc. With my other iem fiio fh5 - normal sounds better.

But good point on the customized app it would be great to have.

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #1,239 of 5,299
Anson/Dethonray are great, love his products, but H1 is $700 and WAY too much power for IEMs, I tried it for 5min, it sounds great by unusable for most of my IEMs, so I sent it to another reviewer on Tw6 who will test and review it with full size demanding headphones. W2 is better for IEMs and easy to drive headphones at less than 1/2 the price. Plus, W2 will have EQ, dsp effects, etc and it is just a tiny pocket friendly usb dac/amp device. I didn't even measure H1 current draw when connected to smartphone.

Does that help with a decision? And I'm assuming H1 is Dethonray Honey H1, unless you are talking about something else? :wink:
I've not tried the W2 yet but I have the H1. It sounds very lush, rich and detailed. I would agree that it's very powerful and I rarely push the volume past 1 o'clock but i do use it with almost all my IEMs including Trailli, Erlkonig, VR1 and many others without any problems. I also have the LP6TI and experience with other LP players therefore I doubt the sound signature will be anything like the H1.

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #1,240 of 5,299
Mar 20, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #1,241 of 5,299
If someone asks me about my take on the H1 vs. the W2, I answer his/her question, because I own the H1 and I have listened to the W2, which is on its way. What is considered « bright » or « warm » is subjective, let it be with IEMs, full-size HP, DAPs and why not dongles.

I get your point and the one from the previous post. You both are right. I am a « synergy » believer from the early hours and following/understanding this « motto » is helpful to anyone’s audio journey.

I confirm, Dethonray H1 is soundwise better than W2, with anything I have thrown at them yesterday. W2 is very close and I am looking forward to getting my unit to enjoy great music playback quality on the go or at the office (1x per week so far)
Have you used the X10T II as a transport with W2 as well?

Mar 20, 2021 at 6:06 AM Post #1,245 of 5,299
Pleased I got the W2 if the H1 sounds close considering the price and size difference.
I haven't tested the W2 so I don't know how it sounds. @F700 mentioned the comparison and based on his comments on the H1 I'm sure the W2 is very good as well though completely different.

The H1 is very powerful and bigger in size. I'd guess it's much warmer than W2 but again I'd need to test, just basing it off my experience with other LP players.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back