Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 19, 2021 at 5:36 PM Post #1,217 of 5,299
Hi there.
I’m using the ddHifi lightning to usbc adapter and the LP cable no problem at all.
I just blue tack the W2 to the back of the phone and it’s all good.
Have used the ddHifi adapter and usbc to micro cable with a Chord Mojo and same thing all good.
Holding up very well.
Thx!
So you are saying your described combo is superior in terms of connection stability vs LP lightning cable?
Could you post a pic?

Mar 19, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #1,218 of 5,299
The screen might not be 100% necessary, but the buttons are. There was nothing quite like the experience of sitting down on the train, getting my Dragonfly Red plugged in, and having my ears blasted out while being a few taps on my phone screen away from being able to turn down volume:triportsad: The A&K seems to lack buttons as well.

Though similarly, while I like the buttons and navigation on the W2 overall, I wish there was a way to not have to wake up the screen to change volume. For portability's sake, I totally appreciate that it effectively "locks" the volume with the screen off, but I don't need that feature when I'm listening on my couch. Maybe I'm missing something?
? I can blindly change volume without needing to look at the screen?
Plus there's an option for remote controlling volume from source.
Quite handy when using my iPhone on the go and remote control volume in fine steps using my Apple Watch

Mar 19, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #1,219 of 5,299
image.jpg
image.jpg

Mar 19, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #1,220 of 5,299
Thx for sharing!
Though the side port is better than standard port, I am still wondering if this 90 degree cable twisting will damage the cable longterm?
It's a pity that there's no lightning OTG adapter with a 180 degree port...
The wooaudio adapter is looking interesting if the cable inbetween the ports is flexible and robust
I will email them asking for shipping fee...

Mar 19, 2021 at 6:13 PM Post #1,223 of 5,299
any difference streaming tidal mqa even though its not mqa compliant? if it sounds the same then i will just get one anyway
Technically it cannot be the same but here again we re getting into the realm of what people can hear in blind tests...or not...

I have tried some A-B with W2 Amazon Music HD with same songs Tidal Master vs Amazon Music Ultra HD.
And besides the slidely different tunings of Amazon and Tidal app I couldn't hear much difference.
What I find interesting is that
- W2 is always showing 32/192 in Amazon regardless of the song quality
- when clicking on song quality in Amazon it is showing half of the Bitrate which is displayed on W2 display playing Tidal
e.g. Amazon app is saying 24/48, W2 displaying 32/192
Same song Master in Tidal, W2 displaying 32/96

I am wondering if Tidal app is doing first unfold regardless of W2 not doing further unfold and therefore having also a very good resolution on W2?

Regarding listening comparison and my 5 cents between S1 MQA and W2 please search for my comments in earlier posts

Spoiler: I returned S1 and got W2 😉

Last edited:
Mar 19, 2021 at 6:17 PM Post #1,224 of 5,299
any difference streaming tidal mqa even though its not mqa compliant? if it sounds the same then i will just get one anyway
I was concerned about the lack of MQA support as well. I listened to a number of Tidal recordings available in MQA and non-MQA formats with the W2. They sounded identical to me.

Mar 19, 2021 at 6:54 PM Post #1,227 of 5,299
Tried the HD650, DUNU SA6, Sony IER-M9 and DUNU ZEN - the only one I can hear interference is the ZEN, could it be due to being a DD? Its very low and only when music not playing but definitely there.

Mar 19, 2021 at 7:16 PM Post #1,228 of 5,299
Mar 19, 2021 at 7:23 PM Post #1,229 of 5,299
? I can blindly change volume without needing to look at the screen?
Plus there's an option for remote controlling volume from source.
Quite handy when using my iPhone on the go and remote control volume in fine steps using my Apple Watch
Guess I just mean it takes 3 presses to change the volume - first press turns the screen on, second press seems to do nothing, third press starts changing the volume - I don't need to be looking at the screen to know this. And allowing the source to control volume doesn't always give 100 steps.

Mar 19, 2021 at 7:40 PM Post #1,230 of 5,299
Guess I just mean it takes 3 presses to change the volume - first press turns the screen on, second press seems to do nothing, third press starts changing the volume - I don't need to be looking at the screen to know this. And allowing the source to control volume doesn't always give 100 steps.
Regarding button volume control you are right with 3 clicks - I haven't realized that before.
That's indeed worth to be fixed Imho.
Regarding the HID KEY on mode though I have to say it's quite flawless, jumping between 1 or 2 steps in both Tidal or Amazon Music on my Apple Watch
That's very convenient

Users who are viewing this thread

Back