Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 20, 2021 at 2:58 PM Post #1,261 of 5,299
I am not sure how that is possible since people have different preferences, especially based on genre. Anytime I have listened to stock EQ profiles for various products, I usually dislike all of them and I turn them off. Even the Wavelet app in Android isn't that great and it attempts to EQ all IEMs to Harman. If they are going to do all those EQ profiles, it seems like a lot of work with questionable utility.
Meanwhile, I notice that none of the small dongles seem to allow users to enter their own EQ into the machine. Not sure why this is the case; just report a general observation.

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:09 PM Post #1,262 of 5,299
Meanwhile, I notice that none of the small dongles seem to allow users to enter their own EQ into the machine. Not sure why this is the case; just report a general observation.
BTR5 has graphic equalizer. It runs as an app in ios or Android.

Attachments

• app-2-btr5.jpg
    app-2-btr5.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #1,263 of 5,299
Mar 20, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #1,264 of 5,299
Want to share some interesting new products, especially for those who are considering purchasing a small dongle like the Lotoo PAW S1.

Update: see post #43 for a first impression! :)

Update 2: see post #180 for English user manual and instructions.

Update 3: see post #304 for firmware version check and firmware update tools.

Since most of the users cannot download FW files directly from their official webpage, I have downloaded these files and then upload them to google drive so that everyone can access them.

General FW Update Steps (only for Windows 7/10 ATM).
  1. Download the FW update package (google drive links).
  2. Connect W1/W2 to your PC.
  3. Install the driver (WHQL_1222.zip and Windows 7 drivers if necessary).
  4. Install and run the FW update tool (ISP_Tool.exe) with FW file (ends in .bin; there are two such files in the package and you can use either of them).
  5. In case the upgrade fails or your W1/W2 is bricked, install this rescue driver.
You only need to install the driver and FW update tool once. For future FW updates, you only need to load the latest FW file to the FW update tool.

Latest FW: W1_V1.0.2.1_AS

• Add the Xelento-tuned EQ
  • Add the Self-adapted UAC connectivity mode
  • Fix W2's balanced DSD output issue.
  • Improve connection stability.
To check your current FW version. Unplug your W1/W2 first. Then, keep holding the shorter of the two bottoms and plug the device into your PC. The device’s screen will display your current FW version.

—————————————————

Luxury & Precision (LP) is launching its Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2; W1 has 1 DAC chip and W2 has 2. For some of you who may be hearing this brand for the first time, LP made its name by producing high-end R2R DAP P6.

Both devices come in two outputs: 3.5mm and 4.4mm. The 3.5mm output is also a SPDIF output, allowing it to be used purely as a DAC and connect with other AMPs.

What is insane about these two products is the crazily low noise levels and huge output power. I cannot post the link to the other forum, but if you are interested just google the product names and you will see the measurements. Long story short, based purely on the measurements, it outperforms many desktop devices... Of course, we will need to wait for the actual products to tell whether it sounds good or not.

Some data for its power level (the third party measured numbers rather than OEM-supplied numbers):
Balanced:
32Ω 235mw
Single-ended:
32Ω: 125mw

W1 retails for 199 USD and W2 retails for 299 USD. Both W1 and W2 are now ready for order! Their advertisements suggest that the prices already include two cables in the box: one USB C-to-C and one USB C-to-lightening.
how would you compare this to a phone connected to a dragonfly cobalt?

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:28 PM Post #1,265 of 5,299
Thanks for point this out. Wasn't aware of this feature of it. :)
As you know, I have tested out a lot of EQ features in various products. Most of them are terrible. Based on my experience, I think the best thing an innovative product company can do is simply implement a 10- or 12- band parametric EQ feature. Hiby has MSEB, others have 5 band parametric, yet more have 10-band graphic, but none of them come close to Equalizer APO which is free software that runs in Windows. I hear the Roon EQ is really good. I am thinking about biting bullet with Roon just for its EQ. With 10-band parametric, people can find various online EQ profiles and easily load them. The developer of Equalizer APO should run a kickstarter and port it to IOS and Android. If people learned how to properly EQ their systems, we could focus more on technical attributes knowing that we can always tune it to our own preferences.

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:29 PM Post #1,266 of 5,299
I don't have dragonfly cobalt but I think some other users do. Meanwhile, I keep seeing other users mention that the dragonfly measures quite poorly. W2, on the other hand, has excellent measurement and seems to deliver better sound quality compared to Lotoo's S1 to many users.

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:31 PM Post #1,267 of 5,299
As you know, I have tested out a lot of EQ features in various products. Most of them are terrible. Based on my experience, I think the best thing an innovative product company can do is simply implement a 10- or 12- band parametric EQ feature. Hiby has MSEB, others have 5 band parametric, yet more have 10-band graphic, but none of them come close to Equalizer APO which is free software that runs in Windows. I hear the Roon EQ is really good. I am thinking about biting bullet with Roon just for its EQ. With 10-band parametric, people can find various online EQ profiles and easily load them. The developer of Equalizer APO should run a kickstarter and port it to IOS and Android. If people learned how to properly EQ their systems, we could focus more on technical attributes knowing that we can always tune it to our own preferences.
Roon also works well with W2! The Roon radio is also pure magic. Love it so much. Adding Roon support is the main (or even only) reason that I end up buying an AK SP2000 recently.

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:32 PM Post #1,268 of 5,299
BTR5 has graphic equalizer. It runs as an app in ios or Android.
Qudelix 5K as well, including supporting PEQ on LDAC connections (which BTR5 does not). Read somewhere that the 5K's EQ/PEQ works when connected as USB DAC as well. Settings are done via the app. But setting up the EQ profiles works only because these are bluetooth devices so the profiles are not actually created or managed on the dongles themselves.

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #1,269 of 5,299
I have a DragonFly Red and have tested it against the DragonFly Cobalt which is about 10-15% better. I also have the Lotoo PAW S1 and use it daily because I prefer its sound to my DragonFly Red. I have a W2 on order and should get it by next weekend. I can give you an impression / comparison next weekend.

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #1,270 of 5,299
Agree with this. Qudelix is another dongle that has a parametric EQ. They also just added crossfeed, but I haven’t tried it yet. It seems that the dongles with their own power supply are the ones with more features.

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:38 PM Post #1,271 of 5,299
Qudelix 5K as well, including supporting PEQ on LDAC connections (which BTR5 does not). Read somewhere that the 5K's EQ/PEQ works when connected as USB DAC as well. Settings are done via the app. But setting up the EQ profiles works only because these are bluetooth devices so the profiles are not actually created or managed on the dongles themselves.
Agreed on all points. But, I have never heard the Qudelix 5K. Is it 5-band or 10-band parametric? How does the sound compare to Lotoo PAW S1?

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:39 PM Post #1,272 of 5,299
I am still depating with myself if the W2 would be enough of an upgrade to my dx160.. I think they have both the same dac right? So I wonder if the implementation of it in the W2 has the upper hand sound quality wise..

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:43 PM Post #1,274 of 5,299
Roon also works well with W2! The Roon radio is also pure magic. Love it so much. Adding Roon support is the main (or even only) reason that I end up buying an AK SP2000 recently.
Whoa, that's a pricey solution for Roon support. Did you consider a streamer like Bluesound Node 2i?

Mar 20, 2021 at 3:44 PM Post #1,275 of 5,299
It’s a 10 band PEQ. You can change the settings over Bluetooth while playing music (even with the dongle in the USB DAC mode), which is very nice.
Okay. I need to buy one now. Does it have Line Out? If so, I'll pair it with a C9 and my iPhone and rock it. Wait, might need to run it in pre-amp mode to pass through the EQ music.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back