Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
Mar 20, 2021 at 11:34 PM Post #1,291 of 5,290
Thanks @bluestorm1992 for the info and all you do on this thread. You have become the official L&P/W2 representative :wink: But seriously, we appreciate the interpreting and hosting of the files. Cheers
My pleasure! I know that LP is a small company and almost all of their stuff, including the founder, are engineers. They have great products but limited ability to do marketing. It is only until recently that they begin to pick up their customer service in greater China area. And, as some earlier posts suggested, they still need to work on their overseas support.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2021 at 11:46 PM Post #1,292 of 5,290
Some of you may find it interesting to know that LP, Lotoo, Cayin, QDC, and Unique Melody are companies of completely different scales.

LP is a boutique company starting with around 20 core engineering stuff. They might have grown bigger recently.

Lotoo is a subsidiary to a much larger media devices company called Infomedia. In fact, even for Lotoo, their main revenue is not from making Hifi stuff, but is instead from making professional recording devices.

Cayin is a large company with around 100-300 stuff, including manufacturing workers. Yes, Cayin is quite special in that it produces almost everything in-house. (I know that Lotoo does contract manufacturing with Foxconn.)

QDC is a very well established IEM brand. It monopolizes almost all CIEM productions for stage performance in mainland China.

Unique Melody is a mid-size company with most of its products selling overseas. It recently begin to pick up QDC’s share in making CIEMs for stage performance in mainland China, but QDC is still quite dominant.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 12:31 AM Post #1,293 of 5,290
Many of you asked about why the stock cable of W2 is white instead of black. LP’s CEO just gave an answer. The video is in Chinese, I translate some of the key points.

Video: http://f.video.weibocdn.com/VEFTKeV...1616304337&ssig=T6ZrkhL0Mz&KID=unistore,video

There is a global chip shortage that affects almost all electronic components, including usb cables (there are chips in these cables as well). LP tried their best to secure a special order of the cables but all of them turned out to be in the “default” color of white. LP will try to offer cables in matching colors in future orders of W2, but the situation of chip shortage will continue for quite a while.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 3:21 AM Post #1,294 of 5,290
I was looking for a TOTL DAP and choosing amongst SP2000, LPGT Ti, and LP P6 Pro. SP2000’s Roon support is a real deal breaker to me, although a lot of users and I all fell that the LP P6 Pro has an obviously better sound.
You have waken my interest about Roon.
Have been web surfing a bit yesterday but not sure if I am willing to spend as much for it.
Can you share some details like your Core setup?
Are you using a NAS, a Roon Core appliance or just PC?
When using e.g W2 it is connected just to your smartphone running some Roon Client?
When you are playing Tidal, you do it through Roon and it will do the MQA core decoding up to 24/96khz? (Though this seems to be on pair with first unfold of Tidal Native App and theoretically UApp with MQA license package installed).
Besides that it seems to be a great system but expensive...

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2021 at 4:16 AM Post #1,295 of 5,290
Roon also works well with W2! The Roon radio is also pure magic. Love it so much. Adding Roon support is the main (or even only) reason that I end up buying an AK SP2000 recently.
What are u usecase the AK SP2000 and Roon? 🙂

Mar 21, 2021 at 4:36 AM Post #1,296 of 5,290
I’m just curious, what firmware version did everyone upgrade to?

W1_W2_V1.0.2.1.bin
or
W1_W2_V1.0.2.0_AS.bin

They are both 439KB; we’ve been told they are the same file in post#1, but why would L&P list both on their website and not just the final version?

The last firmware version before this upgrade ended in ‘AS’, but here the ‘AS’ version is a dot-version behind (dot-0_AS vs dot-1[no AS]). Any idea what the ‘AS’ in the file name means?

I chose to upgrade to W1_W2_V1.0.2.0_AS.bin since that was the version the OP/thread-starter upgraded to. Just wondering if anyone did .1.bin instead.
I applied the one without the AS.
So far so good.

Mar 21, 2021 at 5:08 AM Post #1,297 of 5,290
My main use case for the W2 is via my Mac and either at my kitchen table or desk - when the world starts to open up again, it will travel with me too! I love with this Sunguy cable that the right angle input to the Mac allows me to then position the W2 to the front of my Mac, a better position for IEM connectivity in particular but I guess any shorter cables.

Listening to the DUNU SA6 at the moment and they sound fantastic.

W2-1.jpg

Mar 21, 2021 at 5:18 AM Post #1,298 of 5,290
There is a global chip shortage that affects almost all electronic components, including usb cables (there are chips in these cables as well). LP tried their best to secure a special order of the cables but all of them turned out to be in the “default” color of white. LP will try to offer cables in matching colors in future orders of W2, but the situation of chip shortage will continue for quite a while.
This might explain the iOS cable - the Type-C should have no chip inside though I'll imagine they want to order all cables from the same place so they ended up order them all white, and all Apple'ish build quality.

Mar 21, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #1,299 of 5,290
Anybody found any good short 180deg connector cables? Preferably from Amazon/ebay rather than ali. I did see one formfitted 180deg bent short cable on ali, and also have seen a few on ebay with 180deg connectors but they are long and not sure about the quality.

Mar 21, 2021 at 9:32 AM Post #1,300 of 5,290
You have waken my interest about Roon.
Have been web surfing a bit yesterday but not sure if I am willing to spend as much for it.
Can you share some details like your Core setup?
Are you using a NAS, a Roon Core appliance or just PC?
When using e.g W2 it is connected just to your smartphone running some Roon Client?
When you are playing Tidal, you do it through Roon and it will do the MQA core decoding up to 24/96khz? (Though this seems to be on pair with first unfold of Tidal Native App and theoretically UApp with MQA license package installed).
Besides that it seems to be a great system but expensive...
I am using my Mac Mini as the core. I usually connect W2 to my MacBook and use that as the Roon endpoint.

I didn’t check the decode rate and so on, but it sounded great. Will report the results later today.

Mar 21, 2021 at 9:33 AM Post #1,301 of 5,290
What are u usecase the AK SP2000 and Roon? 🙂
I use it as a Roon-compatible source to pair with my Amp Cayin C9 and drive full size headphones, or just to use it as a DAP (with Roon support now) for my IEMs.

Mar 21, 2021 at 10:07 AM Post #1,302 of 5,290
My main use case for the W2 is via my Mac and either at my kitchen table or desk - when the world starts to open up again, it will travel with me too! I love with this Sunguy cable that the right angle input to the Mac allows me to then position the W2 to the front of my Mac, a better position for IEM connectivity in particular but I guess any shorter cables.

Listening to the DUNU SA6 at the moment and they sound fantastic.

W2-1.jpg
What modular cable is that?

Mar 21, 2021 at 10:15 AM Post #1,303 of 5,290
I am using my Mac Mini as the core. I usually connect W2 to my MacBook and use that as the Roon endpoint.

I didn’t check the decode rate and so on, but it sounded great. Will report the results later today.
Thx
I find the concept interesting to decode things on the core, optionally adding DSP or equ and send that as PCM or FLAC to compatible endpoints.
What I am interested in if it is possible to let's say connect W2 to your IPhone or Android phone and get that same full hires stream up to W2 or will it only work if you directly connect W2 to your Roon Core Macbook?
Eventually it could work using Roon compatible SP2000 as a transport for W2 but might not make so much sense as you could then also directly listen on SP2000.

Mar 21, 2021 at 10:18 AM Post #1,304 of 5,290
Thx
I find the concept interesting to decode things on the core, optionally adding DSP or equ and send that as PCM or FLAC to compatible endpoints.
What I am interested in if it is possible to let's say connect W2 to your IPhone or Android phone and get that same full hires stream up to W2 or will it only work if you directly connect W2 to your Roon Core Macbook?
Eventually it could work using Roon compatible SP2000 as a transport for W2 but might not make so much sense as you could then also directly listen on SP2000.
Oh yes, iPhone/iPad can be the Roon endpoint for full hi-res streaming as well. No problem here. Android devices are much tricker since Android always does resampling.

Also, in my case my MacBook is not the core either, so it is just another Roon endpoint to receive streaming from my Room core (a Mac Mini).

Edit: One thing is that Roon can only be used in a home Wifi, NOT on-the-go.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back