Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
May 11, 2021 at 2:57 AM Post #2,401 of 5,299
Has anyone tried the W2 with very sensitive IEMs on 4.4mm balanced?
I use a Westone W80 (balanced for my ZX507) and the Paw S1 had trouble getting power on 4.4mm with low volumes, and I had to use a 3.5mm adapter all the time.
Would like to know if the W2 can handle without a problem.
As posted above, I use W60s and find the 3.5 output is better than the 4.4 in terms of SQ.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 3:03 AM Post #2,402 of 5,299
Has anyone tried the W2 with very sensitive IEMs on 4.4mm balanced?
I use a Westone W80 (balanced for my ZX507) and the Paw S1 had trouble getting power on 4.4mm with low volumes, and I had to use a 3.5mm adapter all the time.
Would like to know if the W2 can handle without a problem.
Can only speak for 4 Ohms Andromeda Gold.
No hissing, running on Low Gain balanced.
But it also run well with S1, now just more revealing and more details

May 11, 2021 at 9:22 PM Post #2,403 of 5,299
I’m surprised I haven’t seen more talk about the Tone 01 “gentle” and Tone 02 “refine” settings. When I read people saying W2 is more warm than some DAC, and then read three posts later W2 is more crisp and resolving of details, I think I’m actually seeing how some are using the default filter and tone setup and others are selecting their preferred filter setup and trying out the tone settings.

I asked Prof. Wolf in the ASR forum thread, where he measured the w1/w2, to divulge a little more info on the Tone 01 and 02 settings. He just said they were some minor psychoacoustic algorithms based on some of his research, but that they didn’t mess with the stellar measurements in any noticeable way. He described the Tone algorithms as: “Tune01/02 is an algorithm that I gave to Luxury & Precision for free... It does not change the frequency response, distortion, noise... There is almost no change even in the multitone measurement” … “It comes from part of my own (not rigorous) psychoacoustic research... trying to change the "hardness" or "looseness" of the sound.”

So what does everyone prefer, and why, and with what IEMs headphones?

My settings are:,
IER-Z1R => Gain: HIGH; FLT: Fast; TUNE: 02
MDR-1A => Gain: LOW; FLT: Fast; TUNE: 02
MDR-Z1R => Gain: HIGH; FLT: LL Fast; TUNE: 01

Looking forward to others sharing their settings.

P.S. My music tastes are EDM, Pop, Classic Rock, Rock/Alternative, Hip Hop, New Age, Jazz, Classical. So my settings are based on the kit I use and the music I like.

Cheers,
Gus

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 11:20 PM Post #2,404 of 5,299
From my quick a/b tune 1 definitely had a stronger emphasis on the bass, while in tune 2 the instruments were more discernable. Personally I use low gain for all my equipment since it's easier to switch between headphones and IEMs.

May 12, 2021 at 2:07 AM Post #2,405 of 5,299
Just arrived! Nice!!!

Attachments

• IMG_20210511_202329.jpg
    IMG_20210511_202329.jpg
    1,003.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG20210511143112.jpg
    IMG20210511143112.jpg
    695.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG20210511143029.jpg
    IMG20210511143029.jpg
    805.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG20210511143003.jpg
    IMG20210511143003.jpg
    486.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG20210511201942.jpg
    IMG20210511201942.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 4:42 AM Post #2,406 of 5,299
I’m surprised I haven’t seen more talk about the Tone 01 “gentle” and Tone 02 “refine” settings. When I read people saying W2 is more warm than some DAC, and then read three posts later W2 is more crisp and resolving of details, I think I’m actually seeing how some are using the default filter and tone setup and others are selecting their preferred filter setup and trying out the tone settings.

I asked Prof. Wolf in the ASR forum thread, where he measured the w1/w2, to divulge a little more info on the Tone 01 and 02 settings. He just said they were some minor psychoacoustic algorithms based on some of his research, but that they didn’t mess with the stellar measurements in any noticeable way. He described the Tone algorithms as: “Tune01/02 is an algorithm that I gave to Luxury & Precision for free... It does not change the frequency response, distortion, noise... There is almost no change even in the multitone measurement” … “It comes from part of my own (not rigorous) psychoacoustic research... trying to change the "hardness" or "looseness" of the sound.”

So what does everyone prefer, and why, and with what IEMs headphones?

My settings are:,
IER-Z1R => Gain: HIGH; FLT: Fast; TUNE: 02
MDR-1A => Gain: LOW; FLT: Fast; TUNE: 02
MDR-Z1R => Gain: HIGH; FLT: LL Fast; TUNE: 01

Looking forward to others sharing their settings.

P.S. My music tastes are EDM, Pop, Classic Rock, Rock/Alternative, Hip Hop, New Age, Jazz, Classical. So my settings are based on the kit I use and the music I like.

Cheers,
Gus
I'm using the same settings for my IER-Z1R. Very small changes between each setting. Heard much difference with the FLT?

May 12, 2021 at 5:47 AM Post #2,407 of 5,299
Did anyone try W2 connected to (USB-c) M6 pro or M8?

May 12, 2021 at 7:49 AM Post #2,408 of 5,299
I'm using the same settings for my IER-Z1R. Very small changes between each setting. Heard much difference with the FLT?
For the Filter settings (FLT) I do hear some subtle differences between the linear phase filters and the minimum-delay/low-latency (LL) filters. Also, I‘ve never been a fan of Slow filters since they usually have too much high-frequency attenuation prior to Nyquist frequency; whether I can hear that or not is overridden by my expectation bias :wink: but I stick to Fast filters for this reason (AKM uses the words Sharp and Short-Delay Sharp, instead of Fast / LL Fast to describe the same filters).

So I stick to linear-phase fast and minimum-delay fast filters, which on this DAC are Fast and LL Fast, respectively. I don’t always hear filter differences (my Oppo 205 has the standard ESS 9038pro filter settings and I can’t hear any differences in blind testing) but with the W2, and the CS43198 chips in general, I do hear a difference with bass-heavy kit, like my Sony IEMs/headphones. So without trying, and probably failing, to describe exactly what differences I hear, all I can really say is I chose those settings in my prior post after some non-rigorous blind testing with the help of a friend.

Last edited:
May 12, 2021 at 8:14 AM Post #2,409 of 5,299
L&P is beta testing next firmware. It will also come in IE800s and SE846 flavors.

May 12, 2021 at 8:55 AM Post #2,412 of 5,299
For the Filter settings (FLT) I do hear some subtle differences between the linear phase filters and the minimum-delay/low-latency (LL) filters. Also, I‘ve never been a fan of Slow filters since they usually have too much high-frequency attenuation prior to Nyquist frequency; whether I can hear that or not is overridden by my expectation bias :wink: but I stick to Fast filters for this reason (AKM uses the words Sharp and Short-Delay Sharp, instead of Fast / LL Fast to describe the same filters).

So I stick to linear-phase fast and minimum-delay fast filters, which on this DAC are Fast and LL Fast, respectively. I don’t always hear filter differences (my Oppo 205 has the standard ESS 9038pro filter settings and I can’t hear any differences in blind testing) but with the W2, and the CS43198 chips in general, I do hear a difference with bass-heavy kit, like my Sony IEMs/headphones. So without trying, and probably failing, to describe exactly what differences I hear, all I can really say is I chose those settings in my prior post after some non-rigorous blind testing with the help of a friend.
Ok that makes a lot of sense - and why I also shy away from slow filters and at least with the Z1R we're kinda hearing the same thing!
L&P is beta testing next firmware. It will also come in IE800s and SE846 flavors.
We really need one for the Z1R :D

May 12, 2021 at 9:15 AM Post #2,413 of 5,299
They need to prepare for the IE900 as the IE800s is old now :wink: .
Thanks for letting us know. Do you know what other features the new update brings?
They said it will also be with a 'new driver', which I assumed is USB driver for Windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back