Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
May 9, 2021 at 11:07 AM Post #2,371 of 5,299
I'm excited to try this dongle. I don't know if I'm going to use my phone or my hiby r5 or my little m5 as a portable source. I bet the tiny m5 would drain really fast but the r5 has a pretty big battery and is still pretty small.
I was also thinking about using nwa 105 but that battery is tiny too.
With Sparrow I just used my phone and for long listening sessions I just used wireless charging on the phone as I listened.

Of course I could also use hiby link and control my r5 with my phone.

I will try the right angle usb C connector too when I get it. That should be ideal for portability and it looks like it works well. Thnx musicday for the pic :wink:

May 9, 2021 at 3:05 PM Post #2,373 of 5,299
Is there a real difference in SQ between balanced and SE output?

Having trouble with interference and EMI noise?
Can't speak for the LP units but with the Sparrow there is far better sound quality going balanced and far more EMI noise. Earmen was nice enough to send me a longer cable for free. It all but eliminates the noise. Putting the phone into airplane mode completely eliminates the noise and improves sound quality even when no noise is noticeable. I suggest anyone having noises no matter what they're using with a phone, put it in airplane mode at least to experiment. Complete game changer for me

May 9, 2021 at 4:13 PM Post #2,375 of 5,299
Interesting, I can't think of one balanced out except the lotoo paw 6000 that didn't noticeably sound better than the 3.5 out. I always use balanced and just adjust the volume down. And I use iems exclusively, I can't tolerate headphones anymore.

With the balanced circuit you get better crosstalk rejection besides (usually) more power. More power = better dynamics and less crosstalk = better stereo seperation. And usually less noise.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 2:40 AM Post #2,376 of 5,299
Thanks, downloaded! As of yesterday and today, no crashes......I'm hoping it holds....
Did the fix work out for you? I've been getting BSODs so often it's driving me nuts. Had BSOD with driver, uninstalled, and still got BSOD with Comtrue. Also on the same Driver version. It's definitely W2, since I don't get BSOD again if I unplug the device. Hope Luxury Precision can release a fix soon, it would otherwise be an awesome purchase if not for this fatal issue I've been having.

May 10, 2021 at 3:36 AM Post #2,377 of 5,299
May 10, 2021 at 4:53 AM Post #2,378 of 5,299
Did the fix work out for you? I've been getting BSODs so often it's driving me nuts. Had BSOD with driver, uninstalled, and still got BSOD with Comtrue. Also on the same Driver version. It's definitely W2, since I don't get BSOD again if I unplug the device. Hope Luxury Precision can release a fix soon, it would otherwise be an awesome purchase if not for this fatal issue I've been having.

I didn't pull this driver out of my hat, it's the driver Win10 x64 (LTSC) uses if you don't install custom drivers. I just made an extraction using the pnputil tool.
Using it on 3 different computers, never had a BSOD with it (always did with L&P provided driver). But as mentionned, no ASIO nor native DSD support with this one. You don't have much to loose trying it, just make a system restore point before installing if you don't trust the source (which you legitimatly should'nt).

I can see two reasons why you don't get the same driver as me : 1. LTSC and home/pro versions don't propose the same default driver ; 2. you previously installed on your computer a device using a comtrue interface (let's say another dongle), and windows is using its driver with W1/W2.

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 4:59 AM Post #2,379 of 5,299
I didn't pull this driver out of my hat, it's the driver Win10 x64 (LTSC) uses if you don't install custom drivers. Using it on 3 different computers, never had a BSOD with it. But as mentionned, no ASIO nor native DSD support with this one. I just made an extraction using the pnputil tool. You don't have much to loose trying it, just make a system restore point before installing if you don't trust the source (which you legitimatly should'nt). I can see two reasons why you don't get the same driver as me : 1. LTSC and home/pro versions don't propose the same default driver ; 2. you previously installed on your computer a device using a comtrue interface (let's say another dongle), and windows is using its driver with W1/W2.
Yes I've installed the driver and for the past couple hours haven't had an issue yet, but am just asking since this BSOD can occur from 15 minute intervals to half a day. Will report back in a couple days if this fix has become THE FIX and then I'll have to thank you immensely for coming up with it. However, I do hope that LP can release an official fixed update so people don't have to search the whole web so that their computers won't get bricked.

May 10, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #2,381 of 5,299
Interesting, I can't think of one balanced out except the lotoo paw 6000 that didn't noticeably sound better than the 3.5 out. I always use balanced and just adjust the volume down. And I use iems exclusively, I can't tolerate headphones anymore.

With the balanced circuit you get better crosstalk rejection besides (usually) more power. More power = better dynamics and less crosstalk = better stereo seperation. And usually less noise.
I was surprised. I did a series of A/B tests against my Dragonfly Cobalt using my W60s and with 4.4 balanced the DFC won every time and I was becoming increasingly sceptical about the W2 hype. Then, on a whim, I changed to the W2's 3.5 output repeating the tests and, so far, the W2 just (only just) seems to best the DFC in most categories - DFC may be just a touch more dynamic for tracks that really need energy. Haven't finished testing yet, though it appears that my IEMs don't favour balanced...

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 7:27 AM Post #2,382 of 5,299
I've not tried it - so far no further crashes, though I've not been heavily listening via my laptop - will let you know over the coming days....

May 10, 2021 at 8:12 AM Post #2,383 of 5,299
I was surprised. I did a series of A/B tests against my Dragonfly Cobalt using my W60s and with 4.4 balanced the DFC won every time and I was becoming increasingly sceptical about the W2 hype. Then, on a whim, I changed to the W2's 3.5 output repeating the tests and, so far, the W2 just (only just) seems to best the DFC in most categories - DFC may be just a touch more dynamic for tracks that really need energy. Haven't finished testing yet, though it appears that my IEMs don't favour balanced...

That is strange, but maybe it's and impedance thing? I would assume most are using the balanced out. I tried the cobalt and thought the Sparrow was better through balanced. All my gears balanced so if the balanced isn't wonderful it will be on the classifieds fast :wink:
Of course different iems and everyone hears things differently, so I guess I'll see.

May 10, 2021 at 10:28 AM Post #2,384 of 5,299
That is strange, but maybe it's and impedance thing? I would assume most are using the balanced out. I tried the cobalt and thought the Sparrow was better through balanced. All my gears balanced so if the balanced isn't wonderful it will be on the classifieds fast :wink:
Of course different iems and everyone hears things differently, so I guess I'll see.
Indeed. I thought the same as you right until I tested it. Chalk up one more to empiricism.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back