Luxury & Precision (LP) Portable USB DAC/AMP W1 and W2 (The new W2-131 Version is Available, Related Info on Post #1)
May 10, 2021 at 10:58 AM Post #2,386 of 5,299
Indeed. I thought the same as you right until I tested it. Chalk up one more to empiricism.

Yes, and your ears and opinion are really the most important to oneself. I know devices that measure badly but sound great to me. I do know certain iems/cans have better synergy with certain dac/amp set ups.

I'm going to be critical of this dongle just like I was with the cobalt. I personally thought the cobalt was overpriced for the performance. And this things 300 bucks too so it better sound great.
Dongles are hot right now and there's lots of competition, which is good for us 😀

May 10, 2021 at 11:03 AM Post #2,387 of 5,299
The day is young and I already learned a new word. Empiricism. I confess that I did have to look it up. I'll be using this word a lot from now on. Let everyone else look it up then

Me too, ha ha, but I agree with the concept. It 'fits' good with music and audio. Definitely a senses thing and very subjective.

May 10, 2021 at 12:51 PM Post #2,390 of 5,299
Hey chaps
after a short break (was selling W2 in favor of M8 TOTL DAP) I am back to the szene as W2 is still staying the tiniest TOTL dongle plus planning to use it even with TOTL IEM setups for its different mid forward sound signature...

May 10, 2021 at 12:55 PM Post #2,391 of 5,299
Hey chaps
after a short break (was selling W2 in favor of M8 TOTL DAP) I am back to the szene as W2 is still staying the tiniest TOTL dongle plus planning to use it even with TOTL IEM setups for its different mid forward sound signature...
Saw the Traillii in your signature. Congrats!

Yes I do find W2 very handy, especially when using with PC. To me, it has a different use case from a DAP.

May 10, 2021 at 1:03 PM Post #2,392 of 5,299
Saw the Traillii in your signature. Congrats!

Yes I do find W2 very handy, especially when using with PC. To me, it has a different use case from a DAP.
It certainly does and as TOTL DAPs tend to be cumbersome it's nice to have this option just paired with your mobile phone without sacrificing much.
But despite that I want to stress again that W2 can yet mean even a TOTL standalone solution which some are yet using.
I am personally looking forward to attaching it to M8 as a digital source whenever I prefer its more mid forward reference signature which I remember to be great e.g with RnB and EDM, could actually prefer W2 over M8 for some mixes paired to MEST MKII.
My new TOTL IEMs will be quite a new experience.
Definitely need to sell some gear for refund now like my DX 220 Max and Audeze LCD-2, Andro Golds.
I found W2 btw to be close to DX Max regarding its signature of course not on the same level but enough to satisfy my lust for that mid forward tuning...

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #2,393 of 5,299
It certainly does and as TOTL DAPs tend to be cumbersome it's nice to have this option just paired with your mobile phone without sacrificing much.
But despite that I want to stress again that W2 can yet mean even a TOTL standalone solution which some are yet using.
I am personally looking forward to attaching it to M8 as a digital source whenever I prefer its more mid forward reference signature which I remember to be great e.g with RnB and EDM, could actually prefer W2 over M8 for some mixes paired to MEST MKII.
My new TOTL IEMs will be quite a new experience.
Definitely need to sell some gear for refund now like my DX 220 Max and Audeze LCD-2, Andro Golds.
I found W2 btw to be close to DX Max regarding its signature of course not on the same level but enough to satisfy my lust for that mid forward tuning...
Yeah definitely good to downsize the stuff. I try to manage the size of my gear stock to be 1-2 items in each category: DAPs, IEMs, headphones, and so on. This helps me to keep things organized.

Of course, ATM I am having way too many IEMs in stock. Also in the process of selling out some.

May 10, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #2,394 of 5,299
The W2 arrived this morning. The xDuoo X 10T II as a digital transport with parametric EQ and the W2 as a dac/amp represents a small combo full of features and musicality. Great sound and huge battery life for less than USD 600.-.

ADD4B38F-C2B5-419D-8FD0-11134947BE7E.jpeg

May 10, 2021 at 2:21 PM Post #2,395 of 5,299
The W2 arrived this morning. The xDuoo X 10T II as a digital transport with parametric EQ and the W2 as a dac/amp represents a small combo full of features and musicality. Great sound and huge battery life for less than USD 600.-.

ADD4B38F-C2B5-419D-8FD0-11134947BE7E.jpeg
O.K., this has my attention, and it's a combo the efficacy of which I've been wondering about for weeks. Glad to see this working so well out in the wild, and now I'll strongly consider this as a second-set-up option going forward. Thanks for sharing.

May 10, 2021 at 2:46 PM Post #2,397 of 5,299
Beautiful pairing right there. I was thinking about that digital transport myself.
Enjoy it and congratulations.
In the same boat myself. Thinking my next purchase will be a dap and get away from using the phone as a source. Was mostly looking at daps between 600 to 1200 dollars. But now I'm thinking like you guys, if it's nothing more than a transport all I really need is a good interface and I suppose a low jitter USB output. My amp is already almost twice the size of a Earmen Tramp so adding a sparrow or W-2 if (I get one) doesn't really add much bulk. I guess the only advantage of a high-end dap would be having the choice of using the external dac and amp or not using them as my mood or situation dictated. I'm thinking what is really important is to be able to use my Android device as a remote control so I can leave everything else in a belt pack. Only time I need to reach into that would be volume control of the amp but no choice there. Actually even that I could set everything to my ideal listening volume and just remotely turn it down if I wanted to talk to somebody or something. It looks like this xDuoo supports the HiBy app which would give me the remote control functions from the phone correct? Now that I'm thinking transport rather than high-end dap any other suggestions as to what some good ones are?

Last edited:
May 10, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #2,398 of 5,299
Can't seem to find the supported bitrates anywhere on W1 and W2? Do these play DSD?

May 10, 2021 at 3:40 PM Post #2,399 of 5,299
Can't seem to find the supported bitrates anywhere on W1 and W2? Do these play DSD?
Check earlier posts, that's the last one I found after last fw update which should tell some details
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lux...le-update-info-on-post-1.949448/post-16245305

Am not using DSD myself though but as far as I remember I had tested demo tracks up to DSD128...

Edit: just recognized that you ve asked about bitrates.
W2 and I assume W1 too go up to 32/368.

Last edited:
May 11, 2021 at 2:42 AM Post #2,400 of 5,299
Has anyone tried the W2 with very sensitive IEMs on 4.4mm balanced?
I use a Westone W80 (balanced for my ZX507) and the Paw S1 had trouble getting power on 4.4mm with low volumes, and I had to use a 3.5mm adapter all the time.
Would like to know if the W2 can handle without a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back