Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Apr 22, 2022 at 7:44 AM Post #7,531 of 9,223
I don't think silver necessarily thins out the bass or even the mids. For example the that NiceHCK whitecrane, which is a SPC, has rather forward and overly thick lower mids and very strong bass. Your XINHS is a pretty good choice IMO, just a little too much colouration (slowness) at times compared to SPC and copper cables.
I have nicehck 8 core silver (old version),is my brightest cable, thinned out bass, sounded very dry maybe not a good match with se846. I also have whitecrane is my bassiest cable, also would not recommend with se846 either unless u want more bass.

Apr 23, 2022 at 5:47 AM Post #7,533 of 9,223
Apr 23, 2022 at 6:02 AM Post #7,534 of 9,223
Do you guys really think that cables can improve the sound?
Firstly, the cables can affect the sound due to their resistance relative to the transducer, especially if the source is not ideal (the case most exacerbated with IEMs). To know more - the science forums are the place to learn (largely does not include "the scince forum" here - really a special place).

Secondly, and most importantly, if one has 20+ nicely looking cables, into which one invested dearly: financially and emotionally, the psychoacoustic nirvana of hearing the imagined difference is not to be argued with. You must be a believer to experience it! (You either do or you don't)

I personally believe in blue cables, a relatively unexpensive belief, my blue cables are the best - with them my music is crisp, the positives are accentuated, the resolution is top-notch, for an overall surreally fantastic listening that transcends and trasgresses!

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022 at 8:40 PM Post #7,536 of 9,223
Do you guys really think that cables can improve the sound?

Bad cables can make IEMs sound worse, or uncomfortable to wear/use.

Iems, make the most difference, followed by tips. Then cables! ((Ignoring source and recording quality))

Copper cables are warmer, SPC is brighter. Silver is apparently brighter still, but I've never felt the need (I prefer warm tunings). Litz cables have a different insulation arrangement where each strand is separately insulated, never tried one! OCC has a different casting process that produces a different crystal pattern within copper strands. My personal belief is that gold plated expensive cables that advertise homeopathic levels of contaminants are overhyped. I'll stick to aromatherapy! Cable rolling is slower than tip rolling and you can't easily try a different cable on left and right IEM. Confirmation bias is always a problem when trying to decide, if you have made a good purchase.

Softer cables are usually more comfortable. Earhooks also effect comfort, there may be a soft sheath around the cable, a memory wire inside, or nothing at all. Clip on earhooks are also an option.

Straight versus right angled plug is an option, the later is a bit more convenient if you are using it with player or phone in a bag/pocket.

Chin slider or mic are personal preference. Chin sliders are the Goldilocks feature, too big or too small are useless, they need to be just right! Microphone may effect channel balance or sound quality, but they are really handy for taking calls on a phone.

Appearance is a valid choice, you may prefer something neutral or dark rather than something blingy. Then there is the label, having a prestigious brand on anything must surely raise it's sonic benefits (always cost and MAYBE sound).

Diminishing returns effects everything in the audio world, Find your own sweet spot with cables, the same as everything else. OEM manufacturers and sales are your friends! Some IEMs come with better cables that you won't need/want to replace. Factor that into your buying too.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 9:21 AM Post #7,537 of 9,223
So i switched my cheap 10e per pair RCAcables to basically same prized chinese proper cables. I can hear a difference, backround is darker and sound is clearer. I had to do a/b swap fast because im not a believer in better cables, but i bought these as these look nicer :) cables connect between my dac, tube pre-amp and amp. The difference was notable.

Attachments

• 20220425_161503.jpg
    20220425_161503.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220425_161652.jpg
    20220425_161652.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Apr 25, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #7,539 of 9,223
Many NiceHCK models on discount until the 28th of April. But the offers are spread out on different AliExpress stores.
Some examples:

NiceHCK BluePP Taiwan 6N OCC $39,6 @ VS Audio
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003108232782.html?

NiceHCK BluePP Taiwan 6N OCC $42 with $3 spend & save @ NiceHCK Official Store
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003096912595.html?

NiceHCK WhiteCrane Furukawa copper $37,28 with $3 spend & save @ KR Hifi Audio
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001733263285.html?

NiceHCK GoldenFall Furukawa copper $40 with $3 spend & save @ NiceHCK Official Store
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001732396066.html?

NiceHCK C4-1 6N UPOCC $46,9 with coupons @ KR Hifi Audio
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000308025830.html?

Personally I am leaning towards the GoldenFall.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2022 at 11:52 PM Post #7,540 of 9,223
Please don't start...
Haha there is a storm brewing.
I think silver will thin out the bass a lot more than the mids. to me the xinhs is my most detailed cable but maybe a bit warm in tonality. have you checked out the se846 thread? there should be some cable recommendations
yeah I should totally do that, thanks
I don't think silver necessarily thins out the bass or even the mids. For example the that NiceHCK whitecrane, which is a SPC, has rather forward and overly thick lower mids and very strong bass. Your XINHS is a pretty good choice IMO, just a little too much colouration (slowness) at times compared to SPC and copper cables.
I really like copper and spc, just that not sure if copper based cables are too much for the 846s, its already thick enuf lol I would totally get second Chiron if I had the spare cash, overkill the 846s haha
You tried the XINHS too?

Apr 26, 2022 at 12:32 AM Post #7,541 of 9,223
I really like copper and spc, just that not sure if copper based cables are too much for the 846s, its already thick enuf lol I would totally get second Chiron if I had the spare cash, overkill the 846s haha
You tried the XINHS too?
I would also like to try the Chiron, lol.
I have about 30 cables from XINHS and you can't really tell if one particular copper based cable is too bassy for your IEMs. I have a really bright 6N copper cable, and most are more or less balanced, and then some really bassy ones.

Apr 26, 2022 at 9:14 PM Post #7,542 of 9,223
I would also like to try the Chiron, lol.
I have about 30 cables from XINHS and you can't really tell if one particular copper based cable is too bassy for your IEMs. I have a really bright 6N copper cable, and most are more or less balanced, and then some really bassy ones.
Yeah, I'm using it for my VE8, expanded the soundstage quite a bit and the mids are just so much smoother with the Chiron

That's true, it depends on the specific cable, anyway I just wanted something really affordable for the 846s lol cant deal with the constant switching of cables
Which is the 6N model you have that is brighter?

Apr 27, 2022 at 6:27 AM Post #7,543 of 9,223
Yeah, I'm using it for my VE8, expanded the soundstage quite a bit and the mids are just so much smoother with the Chiron

That's true, it depends on the specific cable, anyway I just wanted something really affordable for the 846s lol cant deal with the constant switching of cables
Which is the 6N model you have that is brighter?
Do you find it much better sounding than more budget friendly cables?

this one:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....store_pc_groupList.8148356.15.4b48184eWOkIf7
but the colour isn't for everyone and the skin isn't soft enough.

I recommend getting this one, very hard to go wrong with it:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/100....store_pc_allProduct.8148356.7.30367be7qmmSGW

Apr 27, 2022 at 10:15 AM Post #7,544 of 9,223
If anyone is interested this is how these two compare in size. XINHS is much thicker due way more Copper cores 4x100 vs 4x20.

Left cable:
XINHS 8 cores pure silver and single crystal copper mixed braid
Model: 8-core pure silver + single crystal copper mixed braid
Conductor: 4N pure silver+6N single crystal copper
Number of cores: Pure silver 10*0.08*4+single crystal copper 100*0.05*4 = 440 cores in total?
Single strand diameter: pure silver 1.0MM single crystal 1.2MM
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005002350509830.html?

Right cable
ivipQ 8 Cores Pure Silver and Single Crystal Copper Mixed Braid
Model: 8 cores Pure Silver and Single Crystal Copper
Conductor: Pure Silver and Single Crystal Copper
Number of cores: Pure silver 10*0.08mm*4 Pieces+single crystal copper 20*0.05mm*4 Pieces = 120 cores in total?
Single strand diameter: 0.93mm
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003688146295.html?

XINHS_ivipQ.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2022 at 12:01 PM Post #7,545 of 9,223
Any recommendations for a 2.5mm HIFIMAN cable with a 6.5mm plug? I am just looking for a more usable cable vs. the tangled crappy mess on my HE6 SEv2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back