Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Mar 30, 2021 at 10:36 AM Post #5,911 of 9,211
Then the cable might be good as well. At the very least, I recommend waiting for the Summer to arrive before you decide to spend more.

Going balanced is almost always better when it comes to amps with both SE and balanced (since they will put more effort into the balanced port). Not sure what source you are using but upgrading it could be your next step.
Summer should arrive within 8 days.

I'm using an iPhone 5s which I think is "decent" as a DAP from the measurements available online. Not yet sure if I wanna invest in something "expensive" as I have a habit of getting into hobbies then leaving after a few months 🤣

Mar 30, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #5,912 of 9,211
Summer should arrive within 8 days.

I'm using an iPhone 5s which I think is "decent" as a DAP from the measurements available online. Not yet sure if I wanna invest in something "expensive" as I have a habit of getting into hobbies then leaving after a few months 🤣
At least get the apple dongle. Since most of the gear you got is sub 50 usd, I wouldnt recommend that you spend that much on a source. But since you are gettin the summer (and maybe go higher up in the future :smirk: ) I recommend that you get a good source. The apple dongle should suffice for now, but the next level would probably be the Tempotec sonata hd pro and the level after that would be the E1DA 9038, Qudelix 5k or a Ifi hip-dac.

Mar 30, 2021 at 10:56 AM Post #5,913 of 9,211
At least get the apple dongle. Since most of the gear you got is sub 50 usd, I wouldnt recommend that you spend that much on a source. But since you are gettin the summer (and maybe go higher up in the future :smirk: ) I recommend that you get a good source. The apple dongle should suffice for now, but the next level would probably be the Tempotec sonata hd pro and the level after that would be the E1DA 9038, Qudelix 5k or a Ifi hip-dac.
I'm planning to save my money so if I ever upgrade source, I wanna go "ONE TIME, BIG TIME" with something like a Fiio Q1 Mark II going for 75 USD second hand. Might also just buy a Zishan Z1/2/3 or U1 (AK chip), Walnut V2/s, or Topping NX1S if I wanna save money. Not really chasing MQA unfold as I stay with .mp3 (320 kbps) and Flac.

Can't get myself to buy dongles as I don't like the concept/idea of using one...

Edit: Read that the Fiio isn't compatible with Android and thus it is thrown out of the window.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 11:00 AM Post #5,914 of 9,211
I'm planning to save my money so if I ever upgrade source, I wanna go "ONE TIME, BIG TIME" with something like a Fiio Q1 Mark II going for 75 USD second hand. Might also just buy a Zishan Z1/2/3 or U1 (AK chip), Walnut V2/s, or Topping NX1S if I wanna save money. Not really chasing MQA unfold as I stay with .mp3 (320 kbps) and Flac.

Can't get myself to buy dongles as I don't like the concept/idea of using one...
The 9038 is better than the Mark 2 though, it got a lot lower output impedance.

Mar 30, 2021 at 11:05 AM Post #5,915 of 9,211
The 9038 is better than the Mark 2 though, it got a lot lower output impedance.
Thanks for the recommendation but I think we should stop this as we got off-thread 😅😂

Mar 30, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #5,917 of 9,211
ya this one. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001089285190.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.14.5318666cqBttrZ Great price for this by the way. Cheapest I have seen thus far.

I have both of them cables you linked. Both are ok the 2nd one for some reason the connectors aren't that great the mmcx version at least always swivels like it is too small for most earphones. Material is good but it seems to have connctor issues. First one from NiceHCK. Good copper cable but for the price I would get the one l linked to.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2021 at 1:47 PM Post #5,918 of 9,211
Mar 30, 2021 at 2:44 PM Post #5,919 of 9,211
ya this one. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001089285190.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.14.5318666cqBttrZ Great price for this by the way. Cheapest I have seen thus far.

I have both of them cables you linked. Both are ok the 2nd one for some reason the connectors aren't that great the mmcx version at least always swivels like it is too small for most earphones. Material is good but it seems to have connctor issues. First one from NiceHCK. Good copper cable but for the price I would get the one l linked to.
I ordered this one last sale after waiting for it to drop below $30usd. In between sales, it will be well above $30usd. Glad to see another recommendation on it since I bought it. Still waiting for delivery.

Mar 30, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #5,921 of 9,211
I went for the XINHS graphene. There are just too many choices to know what’s descent so I just went with that - but it seems to be a polarizing choice. I’ll need a second, but I want to see how well the two pin fits with my two favorite IEMs (U12t and Valkyrie). The U12t stock cable slips out of Valkyrie but is fine in the U12t, while the Valkyrie stock fits both well. Given one of them slips out I figured just order one and check the fit before getting more.

Mar 30, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #5,922 of 9,211
I went for the XINHS graphene. There are just too many choices to know what’s descent so I just went with that - but it seems to be a polarizing choice. I’ll need a second, but I want to see how well the two pin fits with my two favorite IEMs (U12t and Valkyrie). The U12t stock cable slips out of Valkyrie but is fine in the U12t, while the Valkyrie stock fits both well. Given one of them slips out I figured just order one and check the fit before getting more.
Get cable A1 then.

Mar 30, 2021 at 5:09 PM Post #5,924 of 9,211
If the connectors fit well I’ll probably grab that as my second. I appreciate the chart and advice.
If the stock connectors XINHS uses, you can probably take a picture of one that does and ask for him to change it for you.

Apr 1, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #5,925 of 9,211
Here is another custom option from XINHS for those who like them thick. It is basically the two coppers (bright and dark) from the copper/silver hybrid in 8 core. It was something custom I asked for, not sure if it will be a listing in the future as he said it was a bit difficult to make due to the thickness. Also pricier as it is 2 $20usd cables.

2021-04-01 12.54.29.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back