Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Jan 8, 2020 at 10:17 PM Post #3,796 of 9,186
finally got my 175 after a month
81440247_457505968249073_1832744600553390080_n.jpg

Jan 8, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #3,797 of 9,186
Just tried the S-16 and the S4 on the FDX1. S-16 I think is what your looking for. Both of these cables add better detail retrieval over the stock cable. Adds a touch of shimmer to the treble the S4 especially. The S-16 is the way to go as it also increases the sound to have a bit more depth too vs the S4. Fuller more expansive sounding with that added detail. It sounds like what your looking for. S4 has the leg up on detail and sounds like it has a touch more width of stage but that is due to the notes not being as full sounding.

As I posted earlier I prefer the H-16 since it is the most musical sounding on the FDX1. S-16 bass isnt as full sounding but you get some added detail to the sound which is a good trade off. You want a lively sound but adds a bit of stage and depth go for the S-16. It is what your looking for. Get it in balanced too if you can go balanced. Will help with the stage aspect as well.

If your looking for the best detail out of the 3 cables the S4 is that but doesn't have the fullness of sound like the other 2 cables. I feel all 3 cables expand the stage vs stock cables the thicker H16 has a good balance between fullness and a balanced sound with the best bass response. S-16 adds a bit more toward mids and treble but again adds that fullness to the sonics, The S4 is all about the detail and treble extension. Clarity is the best with the S4.
Thanks ever soo much for this detailed response I am highly greatful for your time and help and helping me make a choice! The s16 cable it is then.

Jan 9, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #3,800 of 9,186
Sonically what's the difference between the two:

upload_2020-1-9_20-59-20.png
AND
upload_2020-1-9_20-59-44.png

Jan 9, 2020 at 10:39 AM Post #3,801 of 9,186
Interesting how their top of the line XS series does not use UP-OCC in favour of the single crystal electroplated silver. I would like to know more about these. Additionally, I notice that 175 does not have UP-OCC on its title.

Does anyone know anything about these?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000398200301.html – This looks to be the same as 175 but without Litz?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000398200301.html – This one looks really pricy for a 4-core

I'm doing my research currently to see what cable upgrades I should get for my Sony IER-M7s. I'm a bit worried as well as the MMCX port of the Sony is recessed. The M7 uses an SPC cable as stock so would that mean getting an EA SPC cable would be the best option for not changing the sound signature? Would the 175 which is silver + copper make the sound brighter?

Also, I've read some of the impressions on how thicker/more core cables increase the fullness of the sound. Would you say the same between 4 core/8 core EA cables if used single-ended?

Jan 9, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #3,802 of 9,186
Looking good with wood components, it match the copper wires perfectly, good choice
Hows your first impressions with this 175 cable?

CLEANER!

after hours with it, the decay is sooo good, fully bodied

the m11 pro made some of the cymbals at the back, some at the front, back cymbals seems rolling off, but with 175 it isnt already, its just at the back and clearer

i can switch off EQ and there's just a little difference between eq'd and not, unlike spc which is dull without eq

Jan 9, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #3,803 of 9,186
May I ask what case you are using for your IEMs?

its a locally made one here in Manila, PH... the store selling it called Urban Audiophile :)

Jan 10, 2020 at 3:35 AM Post #3,805 of 9,186
@Dsnuts my isn s16 is on the way thanks to you! :) Also, when you did your cable rolling with the fdx1 did the 175 cable get part of the rotation? Honestly, I felt it was bit too expensive for me but after going through this thread today I am starting to feel like this cable is a must. In all honesty do you think this 175 cable is suited for this iem? as you are the only the person with the fdx1 that I know of that also actually believes in cable enhancements. I don't mind going big this time if it really changes the sound to my preference. My only concern was when one person said everything sounds clear and 'very gentle', I hope its not the latter as my tanchjim oxygen also suffered from this type of sound which was simply unengaging for me.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 8:59 AM Post #3,808 of 9,186
@Dsnuts my isn s16 is on the way thanks to you! :) Also, when you did your cable rolling with the fdx1 did the 175 cable get part of the rotation? Honestly, I felt it was bit too expensive for me but after going through this thread today I am starting to feel like this cable is a must. In all honesty do you think this 175 cable is suited for this iem? as you are the only the person with the fdx1 that I know of that also actually believes in cable enhancements. I don't mind going big this time if it really changes the sound to my preference. My only concern was when one person said everything sounds clear and 'very gentle', I hope its not the latter as my tanchjim oxygen also suffered from this type of sound which was simply unengaging for me.

So I havent tried 175 cable on the FDX1 yet but I did try my ISN Ag8 just now and while the higher end cables will show greater detail to your sonics. Here is where I am gonna suggest. If you have $180 to spend, I think you did just fine getting the S-16 for your FDX1. IT is not too far off from the $200 ISN AG8,. Sure the AG8 has even better detail from the phones I will try 175 later and since that cable is half pure silver I have a good idea of how it should affect the FDX1. It will make them sound better for certain but

Forget that. This is what you and everyone reading this thread should put your money into.
10394397_thumb.jpg

ISN H40. Get yourself a more dynamic hybrid earphone. In all honesty while the FDX1 is a good phone imo. They have nothing on these earphones. ISN H40 has quickly become one of my favorite earphones.

To me unless you want to spend another $200ish on a phone just to try n improve it. Makes no sense cus you can get a phone that is more dynamic. Has a much greater sense of space and stage with greater depth. Much more dynamic in every sense of the word with one of the best bass mids and treble for the cash you can spend money on. Read up on these. I am all about getting the most value for the cash. You want value. Get one of these instead. Oh and it so happens to come with one of ISNs best cables of all time. Their S8 Which actually matches up really well with the FDX1.

Be happy with the S-16 on your FDX1. I have them in my ears as I am typing with the FDX1. Now I do have the mid filter in my FDX1 as a frame of reference. I will let you know later on how the 175 will be. IMO I bet it is the H40 your looking for. Lol.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2020 at 9:22 AM Post #3,809 of 9,186
So I havent tried 175 cable on the FDX1 yet but I did try my ISN Ag8 just now and while the higher end cables will show greater detail to your sonics. Here is where I am gonna suggest. If you have $180 to spend, I think you did just fine getting the S-16 for your FDX1. IT is not too far off from the $200 ISN AG8,. Sure the AG8 has even better detail from the phones I will try 175 later and since that cable is half pure silver I have a good idea of how it should affect the FDX1. It will make them sound better for certain but

Forget that. This is what you and everyone reading this thread should put your money into.
10394397_thumb.jpg

ISN H40. Get yourself a more dynamic hybrid earphone. In all honesty while the FDX1 is a good phone imo. They have nothing on these earphones. ISN H40 has quickly become one of my favorite earphones.

To me unless you want to spend another $200ish on a phone just to try n improve it. Makes no sense cus you can get a phone that is more dynamic. Has a much greater sense of space and stage with greater depth. Much more dynamic in every sense of the word with one of the best bass mids and treble for the cash you can spend money on. Read up on these. I am all about getting the most value for the cash. You want value. Get one of these instead. Oh and it so happens to come with one of ISNs best cables of all time. Their S8 Which actually matches up really well with teh FDX1.

Be happy with the S-16 on your FDX1. I have them in my ears as I am typing with the FDX1. Now I do have the mid filter in my FDX1 as a frame of reference. I will let you know later on how the 175 will be. IMO I bet it is the H40 your looking for. Lol.
Thanks a lot dsnuts you are just an amazing person around here on headfi! Knowing me I would have bought 10 different cables before I eventually ended up with the s16. LOL. But honestly the main reason I don't want to buy another hybrid or ba is because after rotating through millions of these similar earphones I do not feel the coherence of the drivers which completely puts me off and the Ba tone for me sounds really fake which takes away from the enjoyment factor. Unless the h40 is an expectation in these cases then I could go for them but after wasting tons of money I eventually figured that a solid single DD was the way to go. DD drivers for me sound very real but usually lack technical performance, however, with the fdx1 it has ticked all my boxes apart from stage and slightly more thickness.

Your 175 cable on the fdx1 would be a very interesting read aswell.

Jan 10, 2020 at 11:45 AM Post #3,810 of 9,186
@maricius

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000398200301.html
it differ from 175 cables , 175 cable using au-ag wire, it differ from pure silver, it maybe he uses that one called 100% sterling silver ones

I noticed that too aside from the lack of litz but forgot to note it in my post! Interesting since they're priced similarly and also marked as part of the MS series like the 175. Also based on the picture, I did make an error. These ones do have litz but yeah the Au-Ag vs 100% Ag is the difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back