Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Jun 10, 2019 at 8:38 AM Post #1,637 of 9,305
Was on WeChat with TRN just now. They have traced the problem to their 6 and 8-core cables contract manufacturer. They are, like you said, doing "damage control" right now.

The 16-core cable is made by another manufacturer, so there should NOT be any problem (at least this is what they claimed).

It's nice to know they're admitting there's a problem, instead of simply denying it. I always believe in giving people/companies the benefit of the doubt.

As I've said before, TRN makes some good stuff. I hope they take care of all the customers who bought a 6 or 8-core cables. Or two. Or 10. Because there's a lot of us.

Jun 10, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #1,638 of 9,305
Talk about penny wise and pound foolish. They can't save all that much on labor by only having their workers solder half the wires. And as to materials, they save almost nothing on solder, and save nothing at all on wire—it's in the braid even if you aren't using it.

I suspect TRN doesn't know what this contractor was up to. In the U.S., there would be a serious lawsuit. I don't know how that kind of thing gets settled in China.

Jun 10, 2019 at 8:54 AM Post #1,639 of 9,305
A few of NiceHCK cables are OEM'ed by TRN

This actually measures consistently compared to the TRN 8 core that came in black/silver.

20181211_233008.jpg

Jun 10, 2019 at 8:58 AM Post #1,640 of 9,305
Talk about penny wise and pound foolish. They can't save all that much on labor by only having their workers solder half the wires. And as to materials, they save almost nothing on solder, and save nothing at all on wire—it's in the braid even if you aren't using it.

I suspect TRN doesn't know what this contractor was up to. In the U.S., there would be a serious lawsuit. I don't know how that kind of thing gets settled in China.

From the information I got, the pre-production samples met their specifications. The problem occured during the actual production when they fail to check whatever was delivered to them. FYI, their product cost is not lower than KZ's.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #1,641 of 9,305
Also, just in case there's still doubters, in addition to electrically dissecting the TRN 8-core cable in post #1626, I also physically dissected the same cable to be doubly sure.

The physical dissection will add a 2nd layer of proof, and I hope it will rule out factors such as me having a defective multimeter, not knowing how to tin wires, not knowing how to check continuity with a multimeter, being an incompetent idiot, etc.

So here we go.

First off, here's proof I tinned the wires when I did my original continuity testing with the multimeter. Sorry, the focus on my macro lens has a very narrow DoF, so I could only focus on 1 wire at a time. But as you can see, I know how to properly remove wire enamel and tin each wire:
1.jpg
2.jpg

Next here's the plug before I started the physical dissection, just to prove it's a genuine TRN plug (note the logo):
3.jpg

I used a Dremel cutoff disc and carefully cut the metal shell (being careful to ONLY cut the metal shell and NOT to cut into the wires whatsoever):
4.jpg

Next I carefully nibbled away at the plastic (or hot glue) or whatever it is that encases the wires, millimeter by millimeter, using high-powered jeweler's optivisors to carefully watch my work under 10x magnification. Again, being ultra careful NOT to cut into the wires whatsoever. Once I removed the majority of material, the wires were bundled together with a piece of masking tape (a normal method to help make cable assembly/soldering easier).
5.jpg

When I peeled away the masking tape, I discovered the 1st of the 3 'not connected' wires. The other 2 were a little lower down in the wire bundle, where the remainder of plastic (or hot glue or whatever) is still left. I'll remove the remainder of that material in the next step.
6.jpg

Once I had removed the very last little bit of plastic (or hot glue or whatever) was left, the last 2 of the 3 'not connected' wires fell away. I also exposed the actual solder terminals, as shown.
7.jpg

And just as my electrical dissection determined that there was (3) yellow ground wires, 1 silver L+, and 1 silver R+, my physical dissection backed it up with more proof. Here is a closeup of the 3.5mm plug terminals, so you can see which wire is soldered to what TRS jack terminal. The modders and cable builders amongst us will recognize that everything is there, properly soldered to the terminals, not tampered with in any way by me, and that my electrical analysis from post #1626 was accurate:
8.jpg

So, I hope I showed that my evaluation of the situation was done in a professional, non-biased, and factual manner. If you notice something I missed in my physical dissection, please let me know.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019 at 9:15 AM Post #1,647 of 9,305
Wow, that's not good.

No, that IS good:

However, note that I only tested 1 out of the 3 KZ 8-core wires, because all I have are the flat braided 8-core style (I have like 20 of them).

This morning I ordered 1 of each of the 8-core bi-color KZ cables (the older gold and silver cable, and the new copper and silver cacle), which I will test when they arrive.

Once I test the other 2 KZ wires, that will cover all known KZ 8-core wires (they currently have a total of 3).

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #1,648 of 9,305
No, that IS good:

However, I only tested 1 KZ 8-core wire, because all I have are the flat style. I have ordered 1 of each of the 8-core bi-color KZ cables (the older gold and silver cable, and the new copper and silver cacle), which I will test when they arrive.

I just meant it doesn't look so good for TRN. If the contract mfr is passing off bad cables to them but not to KZ, either they know TRN won't check, or TRN was aware of the issue and didn't care.

Jun 10, 2019 at 9:23 AM Post #1,649 of 9,305
The black metal part of the plug of the 6-core TRN cable can be screwed-off by turning it counter-clockwise. Do you (Slater) remember that I've asked here some time ago about the physical function of a 6-core? You've explained it with double-grounds for both sides, it was wishful thinking so it seems... Did you took a look at the other end of the braided cores (inside the Y-splitter)? Would be interesting if only the connections to the 3.5mm plug are missing or the other side isn't connected too.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2019 at 9:29 AM Post #1,650 of 9,305
@Slater when cutting the cable, did you also measure the other end of your 6 and 8 core cables?
My question is, is this just incomplete soldering with the 3.5mm plug, or are the "fake" cores not in use at all? In other words, are at least the two pin connectors connected properly?
Thanks for your effort

Users who are viewing this thread

Back