1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!

First

Back
102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111
113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122
Next

Last
  1. Slater
    So checking from the 2-pin and mmcx end instead of the 3.5mm end, here’s what I found:
    • 8-core cable with 2-pin: all 8 wires were connected to the 2-pin plugs
    • 8-core cable with mmcx: 4 wires were connected to the mmcx plugs
    • 6-core cable with 2-pin: 4 wires were connected to the 2-pin plugs
    • 6-core cable with mmcx: 4 wires were connected to the mmcx plugs
    So from my 4 cable sample size, it looks like the 6-core cables can’t be fixed with a new 3.5mm (or balanced) jack, and the 8-core cables might be able to be salvaged with a new jack. It’s a loss on the 6-core cables, and a case-by-case basis on the 8-core cables.

Of course you can totally rebuild any of the cables by replacing all of the connectivity hardware (mmcx, 2-pin, 3.5mm, etc). However, depending on the exact hardware used, that could easily exceed the entire cost of the cable.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
    perfecious and hakuzen like this.
  2. Slater
    That’s exactly how the 6-core cables should be viewed IMO: “A nice 4-core cable”.

As I’ve said previously, it is a nicely made cable. Chin slider bead, metal y split, and metal 3.5mm are all good quality.

I am less than impressed, however, by the plastic mmcx plugs. While they are functional, they feel like one of the toys you’d get from a Cracker Jack box or Kinder Egg.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2019
  3. hakuzen
    ouch, ouch. what a disaster..
    it's a shame, it could be the best conductivity cable below $8 if right soldered (and despite of cheap plugs).

fokta and Slater like this.
  4. Cevisi
    Yes china has such a good potential. But they use it wrong by trying to fake things.

5. fljoe
    Dang .. just upgraded my KZ ZS10 Pro with the KZ Gold Silver Mixed Upgrade cable (single stream 25 strands, eight streams 200 strands). Sounds good to me .. no way to verify whether everything is connected .. comes with a 1 yr warranty from the KZ store.

Thanks for alerting us to this fiasco!

KZ_Cable.jpg

hakuzen and LaughMoreDaily like this.
  6. KopiOkaya
    There is... If you have a multimeter, you can roughly guess without the autopsy. KZ and TRN share the same cable manufacturer, so it is hard to say if everything is connected.

LaughMoreDaily likes this.
  7. fokta
    WEW... just want to update my 165 already here.. but then there is the issued...
    make me concern also...

@Slater Thanks for taking the heat... man...

edit :
    20190611_182627.jpg
    she is a beauty... will break in and update later
    @hakuzen, why on the spec, said the litz cable?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
    perfecious, Palash, hakuzen and 2 others like this.
  8. fokta
    20190611_200155.jpg 20190611_195822.jpg
    20190611_195733.jpg

Physically 165 is a bit thinner, loose type cable like 130.

Soundwise ( zero break in), a bit darker background, but Low freq is more refine on 130.
    Lighter then 130.
    Will get back again, after break in

edit 2:
    mmcx connector is good quality...

Lack of Dynamic compare to 130, with the same low Volume, but the dynamic will come out good in high volume...

perfecious and hakuzen like this.
  9. maxxevv
    When I read that, it simply means that the cable has a relatively higher resistance value.

The lower power "dynamics" signals were attentuated at low volume by the cable. But once it gets beyond a threshold, you can pick them out as it higher than the attenuated losses.

perfecious, hakuzen and fokta like this.
  10. fokta
    yeah.. right...

20190611_205412.jpg

was trying with other IEM, TFZ King... it really charming... the cable really make this IEM stand out.... Low volume the dynamic is really dancing...

so seems burn in will not make dynamic increase on my Solaris... ooo well... back to 130 then...

edit, 165 is very good cable (by cable quality and also mmcx Connector is superb) ... but not a good pairing with my Solaris.. just to clarify that... because of lack of Dynamic in low Volume...

hakuzen likes this.
  11. subwoof3r
    How long did you tried burn-in your cable ?
    I generally burn each of my cables several days 24/7 with proper and very high quality AMR pink noise tracks. It does the job pretty well.
    This 165 is my yet reference, 125 comes right after.

fokta likes this.
  12. fokta
    consider zero Burn in... just try 30 minutes with my daily impressions song...

when u post, I was thinking, try to other IEM, since on my Solaris is not what I expected (Prob expecting to high).
    with King, it was very good... low bass was very tight yet punchy. The mid still annoying (u know if u have try king).

I leave it break in with King for a night, tomorrow morning will try again...

hakuzen and subwoof3r like this.
  13. subwoof3r
    Stay us tuned! :)
    I forgot to mention that I burn them at high volume during the pink noise process.

14. hakuzen
    i don't know.
    iirc, no litz was specified for this cable before. it seems that distributors have changed the specs.
    when i was locating used wire, couldn't find 26awg litz version of 7n upocc frozen wire. only 28wg litz, copper and spc.
    the price also suggests it isn't litz, because 26awg (thicker) litz should be more expensive than 28awg litz (although spc is more expensive than copper).
    who knows.. i'm finding several versions of this 7n upocc frozen wire at taobao. true neotech versions are not frozen

fokta and subwoof3r like this.
  15. keoki
    I have a cable that does not have the molded ear hook and was wondering if there a way to make it fit behind my ear better.

First

Back
102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111
113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122
Next

Last