Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Nov 2, 2020 at 10:30 AM Post #5,176 of 9,359
Where measurements don't mean much for example some of the best measuring cables are sub $20. If I based my cable ability based on that vs what they do for example flagship cables like the Totem should measure better right?

I am willing to be they measure much worse. But budget cables are great for what they do but they don't approach what something like the CEMA cables or Penon cables do unfortunately.

Nov 2, 2020 at 10:51 AM Post #5,177 of 9,359
RikudouGoku Do you know of a guide for doing cable measurements or the basic steps. I am interested in giving it a try as I have a multimeter and cables. Thank you
I didnt really use a guide but here is how I do it.

1. toggle the impedance measuring mode (an ohm symbol)
1604331589906.png

2. Thenyou need to find out the impedance of the tools used, that is the crocodile clip.
1604331885421.png

You just need to touch them (black and red together) and you see the value.

3. Connect the black cable to the black "com" port (the middle port) and the red cable to red port on the right.

4. Red cable "clip" it on to the 3,5mm/4,4mm/2.5mm jack (on a 4.4mm it is the first "ring" on it
1604331780570.png
while on a 3.5mm it is on the wider space
1604332148591.png

5. black cable clip it on to the left mmcx jack.
1604331830809.png
,on a 2pin you just need one of the 2pins and one of them can usually have a very weird value that is very hard to stabilize.
1604332262744.png

6. Then you see the value on the multimeter but wait until it stabilized (it can take a minute or two). After you get the value you just need to subtract the measurement that you first got, that is the tools impedance. (otherwise you get iem + tool = results)

Nov 2, 2020 at 7:09 PM Post #5,178 of 9,359
I didnt really use a guide but here is how I do it.

1. toggle the impedance measuring mode (an ohm symbol)1604331589906.png

2. Thenyou need to find out the impedance of the tools used, that is the crocodile clip. 1604331885421.png
You just need to touch them (black and red together) and you see the value.

3. Connect the black cable to the black "com" port (the middle port) and the red cable to red port on the right.

4. Red cable "clip" it on to the 3,5mm/4,4mm/2.5mm jack (on a 4.4mm it is the first "ring" on it 1604331780570.png while on a 3.5mm it is on the wider space 1604332148591.png

5. black cable clip it on to the left mmcx jack. 1604331830809.png,on a 2pin you just need one of the 2pins and one of them can usually have a very weird value that is very hard to stabilize. 1604332262744.png

6. Then you see the value on the multimeter but wait until it stabilized (it can take a minute or two). After you get the value you just need to subtract the measurement that you first got, that is the tools impedance. (otherwise you get iem + tool = results)
Screw measurements...I'm with @Dsnuts ...I'll let the sound of a cable speak for itself. If it sounds good compared to other cables, I really don't care how it measures. I've seen lots of measurements for both gear and cables, and many times the measurements don't jive with what I actually hear. I'd rather trust what I hear, as opposed to what some graph says.

Nov 2, 2020 at 7:14 PM Post #5,179 of 9,359
Screw measurements...I'm with @Dsnuts ...I'll let the sound of a cable speak for itself. If it sounds good compared to other cables, I really don't care how it measures. I've seen lots of measurements for both gear and cables, and many times the measurements don't jive with what I actually hear. I'd rather trust what I hear, as opposed to what some graph says.
That's good and all for you if you have the cable. But measurements are very important to me as a buyer.

Nov 2, 2020 at 7:26 PM Post #5,180 of 9,359
Where measurements don't mean much for example some of the best measuring cables are sub $20. If I based my cable ability based on that vs what they do for example flagship cables like the Totem should measure better right?

I am willing to be they measure much worse. But budget cables are great for what they do but they don't approach what something like the CEMA cables or Penon cables do unfortunately.
The cable are conductors, so their resistance is the primary property that matters.

Then if somehow magically/hyperscientifically (or other reasons) cables induce perceptible difference - that should be measurable with the good rigs, as with tips, etc.

If it is just the power of imagination (without any tangible proof and credible arguments), then it should simply come free to everyone. Imagining that some cable is super-duper better is absolutely free! :)

Nov 2, 2020 at 8:04 PM Post #5,181 of 9,359
The cable are conductors, so their resistance is the primary property that matters.

Then if somehow magically/hyperscientifically (or other reasons) cables induce perceptible difference - that should be measurable with the good rigs, as with tips, etc.

If it is just the power of imagination (without any tangible proof and credible arguments), then it should simply come free to everyone. Imagining that some cable is super-duper better is absolutely free! :)
I sometimes wonder how overlooked the fit of the cable is...

Nov 2, 2020 at 8:28 PM Post #5,182 of 9,359
I sometimes wonder how overlooked the fit of the cable is...
Absolutely, it goes without saying for me.

The fit can make a huge difference for the proper (and stable) insertion: Blon BL-03 would be a good example.

For me 16-core cables without ear guides work the best for flexibility and convenience of fit (and minimal tangling(!)). Then all the different colours are a bonus - look nice, and I can imagine things :)

I also routinely check the resistance with a simple multimeter to assure that all wires are correctly soldered and no anomalies.

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #5,183 of 9,359
Absolutely, it goes without saying for me.

The fit can make a huge difference for the proper (and stable) insertion: Blon BL-03 would be a good example.

For me 16-core cables without ear guides work the best for flexibility and convenience of fit (and minimal tangling(!)). Then all the different colours are a bonus - look nice, and I can imagine things :)

I also routinely check the resistance with a simple multimeter to assure that all wires are correctly soldered and no anomalies.
Since we're talking about BL-03 and 16 core I guess this is kinda relevant again.
Not sure if worth trying to trim the guides since this is an irreversible mod to my knowledge. On the other hand they are EXTREMELY unobtrusive compared to... The stock cable.
IMG_20201102_195339.jpg
Not sure is someone has shown this before but here's the ear guides together in one picture between stock BLON and the Tripowin Zonie.

Unrelated: Photographing is hard.

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:35 PM Post #5,184 of 9,359
for me, there's no "good" or "best" measured cables.. but i do appreciate measurements.

whether a cable is good or not (relative to the measurement) all comes down to what "EQ result" that you want to add/reduce from the earphones and the connected audio source.

just like, for instance, salt..good amount or type of the salt depends on the use situation

Nov 2, 2020 at 9:50 PM Post #5,185 of 9,359

This is exactly what I meant by expensive cables no longer just expensive because they conduct the best. They are expensive for the coloration they apply to the sound. Hence why alloys are used even though they have far worse resistance compared to pure copper/silver.

If you're going for the absolute purest sound (lowest resistance) I'm sure you can go further by just brute forcing it with a thick and short cable.

Nov 3, 2020 at 5:14 AM Post #5,186 of 9,359
is it normal that iem cables became stiff after a month or so ?
I have 4,8,16 core cable,

is there a way to prevent it?

thank you,

Nov 3, 2020 at 8:20 AM Post #5,187 of 9,359
This is exactly what I meant by expensive cables no longer just expensive because they conduct the best. They are expensive for the coloration they apply to the sound. Hence why alloys are used even though they have far worse resistance compared to pure copper/silver.

If you're going for the absolute purest sound (lowest resistance) I'm sure you can go further by just brute forcing it with a thick and short cable.
Exactly, why cables should be a source of colouration, they are not meant to be at all.

(If one wears an aluminum hat that greatly enhances the sound in the head and is claimed to be proven effective because it is expensively advertised so - I am OK with it, but do not see a good valid reason to get one :))

IEMs (transducers) and sources are (and should be) the primary components of your sound and music enjoyment.

Nov 3, 2020 at 8:26 AM Post #5,188 of 9,359
Exactly, why cables should be a source of colouration, they are not meant to be at all.

(If one wears an aluminum hat that greatly enhances the sound in the head and is claimed to be proven effective because it is expensively advertised so - I am OK with it, but do not see a good valid reason to get one :))

IEMs (transducers) and sources are (and should be) the primary components of your sound and music enjoyment.
Well this is head-fi where we thrive on much of a muchness things lmao

Nov 3, 2020 at 8:28 AM Post #5,189 of 9,359
is it normal that iem cables became stiff after a month or so ?
I have 4,8,16 core cable,

is there a way to prevent it?

thank you,
Stiffening of the cables is fairly common.
It happens because one of the main materials of the jackets is PVC (poly(vinyl cholide)), which is actually rigid polymer and requires plasticizers to be soft.
These plasticizers can be toxic, can smell and with time leach out leaving the cables stiff.
Not to mention that when burned, PVC generates HCl and chlorine and often becomes the main source of health damage in fires...
(Personally, I would ban (or severely limit) PVC use)

There are better materials, like TPE, I know some NiceHCK cables mention this material.

But PVC is definitely the cheapest...

Nov 3, 2020 at 8:30 AM Post #5,190 of 9,359
Well this is head-fi where we thrive on much of a muchness things lmao
That is so true, and I insist that my blue cables (shades vary with mood) is the muchness of the muchness :) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back