Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Mar 6, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #4,051 of 9,223
Well It is relative. Look up same material type cables on Effect Audio web site. It is cheap in comparison. We have covered Electro Acousti cables on this thread and those regularly go above $180-$200. So I think it applies to this thread.

I have tried and own my share of the Aliexpress cables all mentioned on this thread and while those are of a good value. Once cables hit the magic $100-$200 range. The cables use much higher end material and workmanship that warrants thier cost. But most importantly these give more of what you would expect from such cables. ISN and Penon cables $100-$200 range that I have tried all do something a bit extra in terms of sound enhancements better than sub $100 cables and for that alone it is worth mentioning for certain.
That's all great and everything, but I wonder if maybe a different thread should be started for cables that cost over $100 USD. Maybe it's just me, but I find anything over $50 USD, no longer "low end, cheap, or inexpensive, or bang for the buck". Tbh, I can't afford anything above that price point and I'm sure many others that read or subscribe to this thread are in the same boat. I'm starting to find it rather discouraging that all these new cable finds/reviews are for cables that cost as much (or more) than the earphones that many of us own. I think that the original purpose of this thread has become slightly off course, and I think that if the discussions/cables prices can't stay within the realm of -$50, that other stuff above that price point should be shared and reviewed in a new thread. Maybe title it "IEM cables $100+" or something like that. All I know is; this thread ain't feeling like it's catering much to the cheap, good value crowd anymore. For my wallet, $100+ is getting on the expensive side. Pretty sure I'm not alone either.

Mar 6, 2020 at 11:51 PM Post #4,052 of 9,223
That's fair. I can most certainly make a dedicated thread for that. Much like earphone tiers. There is the budget minded cables which this one will be dedicated to. I think it is a good idea to separate mid fi cables in the $100-$300 category. And then there is the stupid expensive high end offerings that you have to wonder why in the world would someone spend $1800-$2K plus on a cable for.

Will start a new thread for those soon. Not so much the stupid expensive high end why in the world would someone spend $1800-$2K plus on a cable for however.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #4,053 of 9,223
That's fair. I can most certainly make a dedicated thread for that. Much like earphone tiers. There is the budget minded cables which this one will be dedicated to. I think it is a good idea to separate mid fi cables in the $100-$300 category. And then there is the stupid expensive high end offerings that you have to wonder why in the world would someone spend $1800-$2K plus on a cable for.

Will start a new thread for those soon. Not so much the stupid expensive high end why in the world would someone spend $1800-$2K plus on a cable for however.
Thanks, Nutzy! I knew you'd get what I was saying. It's not that I think there's anything wrong with $100+ cables...it's just that when folks are looking here for an upgrade cable for their -$200 iem and only looking to spend like -$50 or even half that...they start getting shown stuff that costs way more and that's kind of a turn off. I'd subscribe to a thread dedicated to to higher cost cables in the $100-200 range just to hear about what's new; but for now, I'd be happy just to see what's good and new in the less expensive range. The title of this thread is what originally drew me in, in the first place. Low cost, cheap, generic, otherwise bang for the buck cables. It would be cool if this thread stayed that way. Thanks!

Mar 7, 2020 at 12:45 AM Post #4,054 of 9,223

I think that's a good idea

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:58 AM Post #4,055 of 9,223
Have a 2-part question that perhaps I could get some help with:

Part One:
I have read many posts in this forum and I have question about ordering cable from CEMA "Electro Acousti" AliExpress Store. I read many pages of posts reviewing EA ("Electro Acousti") with referencing cable (numbers) of 175, 177, 210, etc.
For instance, "175" is used often with links to: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000158772005.html (the 4 or 8 -core 1% gold + 99% pure silver + 7n OCC Litz)

My question is where and what is the "175" reference / number?
I do not see any cable number on the page. (I have even asked in chat session and it seems they do not know)
Am I misunderstanding, or missing something obvious?

Part Two:
I use Westone UMPro50 v2 and (just purchased) W80 v1 IEM and want to upgrade the cable, which is the reason for researching 8-core cables from Electro Acousti.

a) Specifically, If anyone also uses W80 and purchased an Electro Acousti cable I'd like to know which cable and feedback (or any other cable you may recommend on AliExpress)

b) Generally, comparing Electro Acousti cables, very interested to learn from all of you of the audio differences / reviewing comparing the following:

MS Series - 8 core / https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000158772005.html
GS Series - 8 core / https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33044349754.html
XS Series - 8 core / https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000413732979.html

My research so far has led me to the MS Series 8-core (which I think you have called "175"), ... OR the GS 8-core (which I think is cable 183 ?)

Thoughts, guidance, comparisons to help me figure this out...?

Mar 7, 2020 at 2:32 AM Post #4,056 of 9,223
I do not see any cable number on the page. (I have even asked in chat session and it seems they do not know)

175 is the number @hakuzen used for it, to identify it amongst the many cables he has tried and tested. He used to list everything in a few posts inside this thread but has since started another.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/resistance-of-cables-pics-comments-and-links.907998/

Mar 7, 2020 at 6:45 AM Post #4,057 of 9,223
about mids recessed in 175.. i don't think they are recessed. many cheap "silver plated" wires seem to put mids and upper-mids more forward. up-occ wires provide deeper soundstage, so mids look not so forward, but all details (like vocal nuances) are there. i think that imaging and separation is better this way. in fact, this is an attribute i specially consider when comparing cables.

Mar 7, 2020 at 1:51 PM Post #4,058 of 9,223
So I started this thread. Will continue to list cables in the mid fi range on this thread. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/mid-fi-cables-thread.927268/

Recently got the Penon Leo plus. It is new territory in cable land for me as it incorporates palladium in the silver. Will have some thoughts about this cable a bit later.

If you guys want to post a quick pic of whatever cable you own or have thoughts on please post on this new thread.

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #4,059 of 9,223
about mids recessed in 175.. i don't think they are recessed. many cheap "silver plated" wires seem to put mids and upper-mids more forward. up-occ wires provide deeper soundstage, so mids look not so forward, but all details (like vocal nuances) are there. i think that imaging and separation is better this way. in fact, this is an attribute i specially consider when comparing cables.
Then do you think my 175 4 core cable is not giving me that huge, deep soundstage because of my phone? The details are amazing, the soundstage is the same and vocals are more behind for me because I have to concentrate to hear them which was a disappointment.

Mar 7, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #4,060 of 9,223
Then do you think my 175 4 core cable is not giving me that huge, deep soundstage because of my phone? The details are amazing, the soundstage is the same and vocals are more behind for me because I have to concentrate to hear them which was a disappointment.
dunno. i don't use to have to concentrate in mids to hear them when using 175 with any iem. anyway, sound differences between cables are subtle, not so hard.
possible causes:
1- i guess you are using 175 4 cores version single ended cable. maybe copper is used for signal and silver is used for ground, so in theory (my theory) copper wire attributes are dominant; that silver wire is the best i've tried for mids and highs, it's strange to get the opposite otherwise.
2- what i explained before. deeper soundstage might make you feel mids not so near to you, in comparison with some lows and highs, which can be felt nearer to you.
3- specific attributes of your source and iem, which can lead you not noticing the soundstage depth, but only the mids "masking". this could explain @Dsnuts and @RikudouGoku comments about sinergy of 175 with dynamic drivers like your fdx1 or kxxs.
you could try other sources, other iems, other cables, to guess what's happening.
if you find you are used and prefer the sound you get with the cheaper stock cable for fdx1, where mids look more in front of you compared to lows and highs, that's great; you can save money by selling your 175 and trying cheaper cables.

Mar 7, 2020 at 4:36 PM Post #4,061 of 9,223
Have a 2-part question that perhaps I could get some help with:

Part One:
I have read many posts in this forum and I have question about ordering cable from CEMA "Electro Acousti" AliExpress Store. I read many pages of posts reviewing EA ("Electro Acousti") with referencing cable (numbers) of 175, 177, 210, etc.
For instance, "175" is used often with links to: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000158772005.html (the 4 or 8 -core 1% gold + 99% pure silver + 7n OCC Litz)

Part Two:
I use Westone UMPro50 v2 and (just purchased) W80 v1 IEM and want to upgrade the cable, which is the reason for researching 8-core cables from Electro Acousti.

a) Specifically, If anyone also uses W80 and purchased an Electro Acousti cable I'd like to know which cable and feedback (or any other cable you may recommend on AliExpress)

b) Generally, comparing Electro Acousti cables, very interested to learn from all of you of the audio differences / reviewing comparing the following:

MS Series - 8 core / https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000158772005.html
GS Series - 8 core / https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33044349754.html
XS Series - 8 core / https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000413732979.html

My research so far has led me to the MS Series 8-core (which I think you have called "175"), ... OR the GS 8-core (which I think is cable 183 ?)

Thoughts, guidance, comparisons to help me figure this out...?
yes the model is that ms series.

Mar 8, 2020 at 12:01 AM Post #4,063 of 9,223
dunno. i don't use to have to concentrate in mids to hear them when using 175 with any iem. anyway, sound differences between cables are subtle, not so hard.
possible causes:
1- i guess you are using 175 4 cores version single ended cable. maybe copper is used for signal and silver is used for ground, so in theory (my theory) copper wire attributes are dominant; that silver wire is the best i've tried for mids and highs, it's strange to get the opposite otherwise.
2- what i explained before. deeper soundstage might make you feel mids not so near to you, in comparison with some lows and highs, which can be felt nearer to you.
3- specific attributes of your source and iem, which can lead you not noticing the soundstage depth, but only the mids "masking". this could explain @Dsnuts and @RikudouGoku comments about sinergy of 175 with dynamic drivers like your fdx1 or kxxs.
you could try other sources, other iems, other cables, to guess what's happening.
if you find you are used and prefer the sound you get with the cheaper stock cable for fdx1, where mids look more in front of you compared to lows and highs, that's great; you can save money by selling your 175 and trying cheaper cables.
Thanks alot for this! I guess your right, the combo of 4 core single ended and my phone probably is not giving me that stage and mids I seek. Btw what high end cable could you recommend for me when it comes to forward vocals and better stage? I already got the s16 on its way but I'm thinking of trying something else aswell just incase I prefer that.

Mar 8, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #4,064 of 9,223
Thanks alot for this! I guess your right, the combo of 4 core single ended and my phone probably is not giving me that stage and mids I seek. Btw what high end cable could you recommend for me when it comes to forward vocals and better stage? I already got the s16 on its way but I'm thinking of trying something else aswell just incase I prefer that.
cable 173/174 (4/8 identical cores). as you know, it's my fav wire for mids and highs and their stage. it's one of the wires used in 175, but i suspect it's being used only for ground in your 4 cores single-ended cable. only caveat is.. what if my hypothesis is wrong?

wait to try s16, maybe you find what you seek for. other posible cable is 128, which i guess it's similar than s4 (although i haven't tried s4). @Dsnuts can shed a light about these penon cables.

i've received vogue series from effect audio. maybe you can wait my impressions of silver plated one or silver+copper one while you are evaluating s16.
they use up-occ and their special litz geometry (similar to cardas clear light) could be an step forward. let's see..

Mar 9, 2020 at 12:22 AM Post #4,065 of 9,223
Hey guys , I'm looking for a 2.5mm balanced cable for the Audeze isine 10 . Ideally around 30-50$ max as I'm not sure I want to keep them and just want to try them again after a long time .

From a quick glance , I'm guessing this one , https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000009633191.html would be one of the recommended ones in this price range ? Is there anything else to consider or better alternatives ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back