Low end. Cheap. Generic. Otherwise bang for buck cable thread!
Oct 31, 2019 at 12:49 PM Post #2,987 of 9,224
So a general rule of tumb when looking at cables on the express. Well at least for myself.
1) I try n not to get cables that cost more than the earphone itself. A few exceptions if the earphone is budget sometimes you can use cables that cost the same amount as the earphones. The NiceHCK DB3 for example will cost $16 during sales but sounds much better with a good SPC cable which usually cost more than the phones.

2) These aftermarket cables for the most part are much better in quality and use than your stock cables. This is usually the case. Only a few manufacturers actually include decent cables that enhance the sonics of their own earphone. Ibasso, Dunu comes to mind. Otherwise even a cheaper $10 8 core cable you find on the express will be beneficial over the stock cable that comes with earphones. Especially budget fi stuff. They cut corners on cables all the time. Generally the higher up in price the chance the manufacturer will throw in a decent cable is more likely but even then you might be better off with an aftermarket cable. My CA andromeda S, Solaris and Zeus all use aftermarket cables.

3) Best price bracket for cables imo during sales is around $20-$50 range. This level of cable will generally use better more quality materials for the cable than the cheaper budget level ones or sub $20 level, and in my own experience gives the best bang for you money.

4) Don't be afraid to experiment with your new cables. Synergy sometimes don't come from your highest end cables.Just because your cable cost $200 does not mean it will be the best match with your particular earphone in sonics.

5) Get a variety of different type of cables and don't stick to just one type. If you own more than one earphone. This especially applies to you.

6) Last of all, have some fun experimenting with your new cables.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 3:11 AM Post #2,988 of 9,224
What's a good budget cable for the KZ ZS7 (other than the stock cable)?
(It takes a Paragraph A)
para_abc_btjdt.jpg
I did some research.
These should be good:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32974695270.html

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #2,989 of 9,224
@hakuzen

With 11/11 coming up can you do a post with your current favourites cables covering various budget areas. Maybe something like Low, Low Mid, Upper Mid, Low High, Upper High.
This would be useful to many.

I personally have a budget around $60 and looking for an upgrade cable for my DM6.
I don’t find it to have piercing highs as some reported so all copper is not necessary.
I Need something that will keep the bass if not improve it and same time add more sparkle/dimension. Guessing Litz would be good.

I'd also love to see a roundup of cables from hakuzen (if that is even possible at this point and with so many cables).

Thanks for the link.
I suggested maybe a more current simple list that takes into account cables on the 11/11 sale.
i'll receive 4 new cables next week (electro acousti 24k gold plated up-occ silver + AgAu, and 6n occ copper+spc cheap one; nicehck 6n up-occ copper+silver alloy -already tried this-, and 4 cores 4n ofc affordable one).

but i'll also start a job on monday (very few free hours left daily), and have already many pendent tasks.

however, hope to recover internet and to add them to the database before 11.11 sales.

i won't be able to do serious AB between similar priced wires in all segments before 11.11, though. it's much time consuming, impossible to do such full round up soon.

my favorites are located in 1st and 2nd sections of comments, pics and links of the database.
lower quality cables (and cheapest) ones can be found at sections 3 and 4, ordered by resistance per meter because sound quality difference is smaller between these cables.

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:25 AM Post #2,990 of 9,224
So a general rule of tumb when looking at cables on the express. Well at least for myself.
1) I try n not to get cables that cost more than the earphone itself. A few exceptions if the earphone is budget sometimes you can use cables that cost the same amount as the earphones. The NiceHCK DB3 for example will cost $16 during sales but sounds much better with a good SPC cable which usually cost more than the phones.

2) These aftermarket cables for the most part are much better in quality and use than your stock cables. This is usually the case. Only a few manufacturers actually include decent cables that enhance the sonics of their own earphone. Ibasso, Dunu comes to mind. Otherwise even a cheaper $10 8 core cable you find on the express will be beneficial over the stock cable that comes with earphones. Especially budget fi stuff. They cut corners on cables all the time. Generally the higher up in price the chance the manufacturer will throw in a decent cable is more likely but even then you might be better off with an aftermarket cable. My CA andromeda S, Solaris and Zeus all use aftermarket cables.

3) Best price bracket for cables imo during sales is around $20-$50 range. This level of cable will generally use better more quality materials for the cable than the cheaper budget level ones or sub $20 level, and in my own experience gives the best bang for you money.

4) Don't be afraid to experiment with your new cables. Synergy sometimes don't come from your highest end cables.Just because your cable cost $200 does not mean it will be the best match with your particular earphone in sonics.

5) Get a variety of different type of cables and don't stick to just one type. If you own more than one earphone. This especially applies to you.

great suggestions!
i second them 100%

Nov 1, 2019 at 5:38 AM Post #2,991 of 9,224
i'll receive 4 new cables next week (electro acousti 24k gold plated up-occ silver + AgAu, and 6n occ copper+spc cheap one; nicehck 6n up-occ copper+silver alloy -already tried this-, and 4 cores 4n ofc affordable one).

but i'll also start a job on monday (very few free hours left daily), and have already many pendent tasks.

however, hope to recover internet and to add them to the database before 11.11 sales.

i won't be able to do serious AB between similar priced wires in all segments before 11.11, though. it's much time consuming, impossible to do such full round up soon.

my favorites are located in 1st and 2nd sections of comments, pics and links of the database.
lower quality cables (and cheapest) ones can be found at sections 3 and 4, ordered by resistance per meter because sound quality difference is smaller between these cables.
Thank you so much for your efforts!

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:11 AM Post #2,992 of 9,224
I am trying to understand and in attempting to do so am searching on the interweb... why is it better to use multi core wires in an audio cable than it is to use a single core audio cable?

Doesn’t a larger core cable have less degradation in the manufacturing process? ie; less grains because the metal has been processed less (drawn) .... I don’t get why using a more processed and therefore smaller gauged copper wire that is then weaved is better than a less processed bigger gauged cable?

I am not so sure if this applies equally to a moulded wire... ie; not drawn so effectively a single crystal wire...

Would anybody have a further information on that please?

Also are there any iem cables that a formed using liquid metal? I have seen them for home audio like speakers etc but I haven’t seen anyone with them on iems... do they exist? Or rather have they been reviewed and or measured by comparison to single or multi crystal wires/cables for iems..

Thanks

Nov 1, 2019 at 6:26 AM Post #2,993 of 9,224
I am trying to understand and in attempting to do so am searching on the interweb... why is it better to use multi core wires in an audio cable than it is to use a single core audio cable?

Doesn’t a larger core cable have less degradation in the manufacturing process? ie; less grains because the metal has been processed less (drawn) .... I don’t get why using a more processed and therefore smaller gauged copper wire that is then weaved is better than a less processed bigger gauged cable?

I am not so sure if this applies equally to a moulded wire... ie; not drawn so effectively a single crystal wire...

Would anybody have a further information on that please?

Also are there any iem cables that a formed using liquid metal? I have seen them for home audio like speakers etc but I haven’t seen anyone with them on iems... do they exist? Or rather have they been reviewed and or measured by comparison to single or multi crystal wires/cables for iems..

Thanks
about number of cores, we discussed it time ago. my opinion, considering many parameters because you can't say more cores are better/worse in general, is linked in the first post of my list.
edit: the link..
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/low...ck-cable-thread.891911/page-153#post-15125695

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #2,994 of 9,224
about number of cores, we discussed it time ago. my opinion, considering many parameters because you can't say more cores are better/worse in general, is linked in the first post of my list.

Thanks mate... is that in the resistance thread you did?

I read what you said about cores generally and you discussed comparisons between the number of cores but I didn’t see what you wrote about single core relative to multi core... sorry I must be looking at the wrong thread....

What about liquid metal... have you discussed that... sorry again to ask but I haven’t seen that if you have..

Thanks as always mate... you are always so generous in sharing your wealth of knowledge which I know we all appreciate here...

And I am sure you have saved a lot of money for a lot of guys here to...

Nov 1, 2019 at 7:00 AM Post #2,995 of 9,224
Hi everyone. Been lurking for a while but love cable rolling.

Thank you all for your extensive research. I have ordered a Electro Acousti 175 8W hybrid as i feel that will give the best of both worlds. I used the Headfi "discount".

I have a pair of Empire Ears ESR which work nicely with the recommended Ares II 8W - a slightly warm, cuboid soundstage in width and depth but some rolling off of transients and treble.

I bought a secondhand Fearless Audio SPC 8W which was neutral in timbre with a more rectangular soundstage but the highs were a little too piercing for me. I think I'll put that one up for sale.

I also have a Penon Audio CS819 OCC/SPC hybrid 8W which has increased the sub bass and kept the treble definition but rounded off the piercing highs - good for EDM.

I don't think a pure silver cable will be useful for me as it'll probbaly be too crisp.

I'll keep you guys posted.....

Considering the HCK C16-3 (062/064?) and C16-2 (OCC/SPC) when the Nov 11 sale starts:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000129870705.html

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000130561057.html

Any thoughts? The OCC has a higher resistance according to your review.

Nov 1, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #2,996 of 9,224

Hi @Dsnuts, what cable do you use for your Solaris?

Nov 1, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #2,997 of 9,224

Short comparing between 165 (8c) with 175.

bear in mind, my Taste is Warm with detail.
165 (8core) :
- Bass : Sub bass and Mid Bass good separation, with more punchy Mid Bass.
- Vocal : Not too recess, especially at Female vocal / Hi Mid. Dynamic Top notch especially at Mid centric Song (accoustic or live music)
- Treble : Less clarity and airy feeling, soundstage still wide.

175 :
- Bass : Sub bass at it finest, very good rumble. a bit less mid Bass, but it gave better texture.
- Vocal : my downside, female vocal felt recess even sometime overlay with Lo High/treble.
Dynamic still top notch.
- treble : Really sparkling... Airy with clarity edge.
If only tried just a while, It make my IEM V shaped...
Overall 175 still better compare 165 (8 core).
but since my Taste is Warm, and I prefer vocal not to recess, so 165 (8C) will be my pairing for now...

@hakuzen plz make a number for 165 (8c)...

P.S : this is based on my pairing also my taste of songs... and Litz make Mid feel recess, so for this pairing non Litz will be my way...
Cheers

@fokta, by recessed female vocals, is it more recessed with the 175 cable compared to stock? I'm thinking this may not be for me as I'm not a big fan of V shaped signature and most of my songs are female vocals.

Nov 1, 2019 at 8:00 AM Post #2,998 of 9,224
@fokta, by recessed female vocals, is it more recessed with the 175 cable compared to stock? I'm thinking this may not be for me as I'm not a big fan of V shaped signature and most of my songs are female vocals.
175 do make female vocal feel recess if you listen low volume like me.. but it still clear and detail.. it just the sub bass impact overshadow it. or Lo Treble (depend on ur DAP sound sig)
But, if crank up that volume, it will make it foward...

Just giving the baseline, With my DAP (Mango OS, AMp1Mk2, my listening Volume around 7 - 8) which already 15-20% lower then what I heard / read people used to hear Solaris. When u cranck it to regular Volume around 12 (somewhere 70 dB) the freq almost flat, which Female vocal still recess but not overshadow by others...

anyway, take this as hint, My ear or brain can interpret different...
btw, I said this second time, make sure u don't have seal / fitting issued with your solaris. because it really affect the Low / Bass

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2019 at 8:24 AM Post #2,999 of 9,224

Thanks
DITA OSLO
20191004_132344.jpg
I dont know cable material treatment is make...
but when u mention liquid metal.. I remember this...

The cable texture has grease effect...
my highlight point. is Bass... best texture Mid bass exp with Solaris...
each freq seems want to dominate, make it difficult to synergy each other, IMO. based on my pair off course... Monitoring IEM will be great pairing with this

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back