Loving the sound of CELLO!
Mar 26, 2011 at 3:39 AM Post #46 of 136

Quote:
After reading what you wrote, D7000 interests me very much. Although I'm a little bothered by the metallic highs of the M50, I think it's rather bass heavy nature helps with a very full bodied reproduction of cello. Does D7000 improve on this aspect?  Does the D7000 also have the slight metallic tinge the M50 has? Can't wait until I can these recordings sounding BETTER than they already do...

Oh no... the D7000 has none of the 'metalic' highs of the M50. It improves on every aspect of the M50 while retaining it's overall sonority and full-bodied sound. It doesn't overwhelm with bass, but it has enough low-end to keep the acoustic resonance in tact. The highs are clear and clean but not brittle. The M50 can be somewhat brittle (depending on source), but I've yet to have any of those issues with the D7k.

Mar 26, 2011 at 4:25 AM Post #47 of 136
My cello of choice is the Beyer T1.

For accurate cello reproduction at an affordable price I would recommend Fischer Audio's FA-003 or the FA-002w. For a more musical, albeit, inaccurate sound in the cello try the new FA-011 or to a lesser extent, the HD-650.

Also, those yo-yo ma recordings blow. Try this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Suites-Cello-Johann-Sebastian/dp/B000003FD9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1300986565&sr=8-1

The best I have heard a cello sound was on my Grado HP-1000 headphones powered by a Zana Deux.

really? I have two Yoyo ma CDs and I like them a lot. I'll check this one out.

Mar 26, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #48 of 136
OH yeah - I think the DT 880 (600 ohms) also really brings out the natural sonority of the cello ...

Mar 26, 2011 at 10:00 PM Post #49 of 136
BTW - Learning to playing an instrument is as not an issue of time - it is about how much passion you have to learn it - if you just can't stop exploring on your instrument - then you won't wait to get a teacher to help you learn 'traditional' technique - the passion will fire you to learn and learn and learn - which never really stops and this is how you become musical with your instrument.

AND LIFE CYCLE is an awesome album!!! Heard it back in the 80's....fantastic! 

Mar 26, 2011 at 10:18 PM Post #50 of 136
If you like P Glass at all, Yo Yo Ma does a wonderful collaboration with him on the Naqoyqatsi soundtrack. Electronic & orchestral textures, with his beautiful cello playing providing a wonderful contrast to PG's strident rhythms with his flowing, emotional playing in the foreground.

Mar 26, 2011 at 10:20 PM Post #51 of 136
Just pulled out my violin after stopping for years. The E string's notes sound really harsh to me now...=[... I might try both the cello and violin to see what I like better. People advice me to learn them separately, so that's what I will do.

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:39 PM Post #52 of 136
I have Nothing to tell you about headphones, but I have ONE thing to tell you what you HAVE to listen.

I've been playing cello since 2001 and.. not long ago found the best cello concerto ever.

"Dvorak Cello Concerto"

The Best: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xxYbF-Yzdf0

P.S. It is really boring to hear 4 mins of introduction of the orchestra at first, but you will love it when you listen to it A LOT :)

Mar 26, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #53 of 136

Quote:
If you like P Glass at all, Yo Yo Ma does a wonderful collaboration with him on the Naqoyqatsi soundtrack. Electronic & orchestral textures, with his beautiful cello playing providing a wonderful contrast to PG's strident rhythms with his flowing, emotional playing in the foreground.

Yes it is great. All of what Yo-Yo Ma does is extraordinary. I have most of his albums and truly find them awe-inspiring. 

Here is a cellist often unjustly underrated.- Leonard Rose - try the Brahms Cello Sonatas

Mar 27, 2011 at 2:19 AM Post #54 of 136
Take a listen at Eleanor Rigby from the album ''LOVE'' by the beatles, it's a mix made by Le Cirque du Soleil in which you hear the cello a lot better than on ''Revolver'' in which he sings over it.
   Hope you like

Mar 27, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #55 of 136

Quote:

Yes it is great. All of what Yo-Yo Ma does is extraordinary. I have most of his albums and truly find them awe-inspiring. 

Here is a cellist often unjustly underrated.- Leonard Rose - try the Brahms Cello Sonatas

Rose also did a nice recording (vinyl, not sure it's on CD) with Glenn Gould of the Bach Viola Da Gamba / Harpsichord Concertos

Mar 27, 2011 at 2:25 AM Post #56 of 136
I agree with the DuPre suggestion for Elgar. In fact if you like exciting, emotive music that isn't at all a dry intellectual exercise Elgar/DuPre is probably a great starting place for cello appreciation.

As for the Bach suites, they are famously a fertile ground for interpretation so it would be hard to say exactly what is the "best" artist to choose for a single instance of the Bach. Each great player will bring a lot of himself or herself into the equation IMO.

Interesting topic. Just last night I undertook my latest "broadening of horizons" attempt. Gave a first listen to Rachmaninov cello sonata Op. 19 with tonight's enlightenment being the Shostakovich Op. 40 and tomorrow's the Prokofiev Op. 11 to round out the adventure. I've never been able to get the least bit into Russian music but what the heck I like cello and piano chamber music so this is my chance to change opinions on the matter. I will say the two inner movements of the Rach sonata were very fine and resulted in a pleasing sense of getting lost in the music at moments. The final movement was a comparative disappointment although I did take a break halfway through it to grab a dish of chocolate ice cream which always puts a better gloss on things...

I'm a cellist, and the Du Pre Elgar is my absolute favorite cello performance of any piece ever.

Some more good ones:

Dvorak Cello Concerto: Du Pre or Rostropovich
Bach Suites: Rostropovich

Cello is a difficult instrument to learn, especially as an adult.

Sorry, but I don't like Yo-Yo Ma. None of it. When I listen to him I don't feel the music as I do with Rostropovich, Du Pre, or even Starker.

Mar 27, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #57 of 136
Rose was great in the Brahms chamber recordings of the Trios with Isaac Stern and Eugene Istomin.

Mar 27, 2011 at 10:03 PM Post #58 of 136
I'm on Zoe Keating's email list. She sent along a link to a mini-documentary Intel did of her work. Ok, it's a stealth ad for Intel, but I think it's a good representation of her music and I liked hearing her talk about it.
I can't seem to embed the video, so here's the link. http://www.youtube.com/embed/63wanWqzav8

Users who are viewing this thread

Back