Loving the sound of CELLO!
Mar 24, 2011 at 9:06 PM Post #16 of 136

Quote:

Not so sure about the ATH-AD2000- I'm a cellist and my HD-595s do a much better job with stringed instruments. The AD2000s simply sound "wrong", it's hard to describe why. For everything else though the AD2000s are more of a leap forward from the 595s than I ever thought they would be.

Hi, this is a bit of a random question, but how long do I need to learn to be able to play something like Bach's cello suites?

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #17 of 136
Mar 24, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #18 of 136

Quote:
For a more modern twist on the cello I recommend 2 albums

Takenobu - Introduction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zob5O3nyqYI

Found em through Pandion, youtube has some songs but recording do not do them justice, some great stuff by them.

Thanks, I will definitely check them out later. Have class in 30 minutes =]. Meanwhile, I definitely want to recommend you the album I mentioned in the previous thread. AWESOME mix of piano and cello.

Mar 24, 2011 at 9:39 PM Post #19 of 136
Quote:

Not so sure about the ATH-AD2000- I'm a cellist and my HD-595s do a much better job with stringed instruments. The AD2000s simply sound "wrong", it's hard to describe why. For everything else though the AD2000s are more of a leap forward from the 595s than I ever thought they would be.

Good to know, I've never heard them, I was just throwing some names out there for the OP to do their own research. The AD2000s might be overly transparent and picky about the amp pairing, I'm not very fond of my DT880s on solid state but with tubes they're altogether different.

Mar 24, 2011 at 10:23 PM Post #20 of 136

Quote:
Hi, this is a bit of a random question, but how long do I need to learn to be able to play something like Bach's cello suites?

Depends on your talent, whether or not you've ever done an instrument before, your teacher(s), your dedication, and any of a very large number of factors. 

...It usually takes people anywhere between four to ten years.
More or less than that, depending on how well you want to play it. 

DISCLAIMER: I'm a violinist, not a cellist. My information may be very inaccurate. One thing's for sure, though: learning to play an instrument is a decision you won't regret!

Mar 24, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #23 of 136
Nope, but just listened to the link. That's not really my style. I just like when the occasional cello sweeps in on a powerful piece, but it needs to have the right timing and tone. When timed perfectly, there really is nothing quite like it. One of the many reasons I really like soundtracks.

Mar 24, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #24 of 136

Quote:
Thanks, I will definitely check them out later. Have class in 30 minutes =]. Meanwhile, I definitely want to recommend you the album I mentioned in the previous thread. AWESOME mix of piano and cello.

Will do, although, I'm not quite sure what I'm missing using my Ultrasones.  Good detail but not exactly flat response.  I'm tempted to hook up my pop's old magnepan's, just don't have the space to do it properly.

Quote:
On that note: are any of you guys familiar with Apocalyptica?

Yea, pretty neat stuff, used to love Symphonic Pink Floyd and all those hybrid groups.  Another interesting group is The  Section Quartet, they do a bunch of rock songs, pretty talented group.

Mar 25, 2011 at 12:22 AM Post #25 of 136

As far as music suggestion goes, I don't know if you guys will be interested in KPOP music, but there was this new band that came up that combines vocals, saxophone, violin and cello. My buddy is in love with them. I guess I'll check them out too later on...
Quote:
Depends on your talent, whether or not you've ever done an instrument before, your teacher(s), your dedication, and any of a very large number of factors. 

...It usually takes people anywhere between four to ten years.
More or less than that, depending on how well you want to play it. 

DISCLAIMER: I'm a violinist, not a cellist. My information may be very inaccurate. One thing's for sure, though: learning to play an instrument is a decision you won't regret!

I have 2 years of violin under my belt xP. Played a little in highschool. Hopefully this helps.

Mar 25, 2011 at 1:14 AM Post #27 of 136

Quote:

[size=10.0pt]As Centigonal said, it really depends. I started playing in the fourth grade and worked my way through high school orchestra, culminating in the thrilling experience of playing in Carnegie Hall with my peers. I'm not the quickest when it comes to the cello- it took me until midway through high school to reach the proficiency required to play something on the level of Bach's cello suites well.[/size]

Quote:
On that note: are any of you guys familiar with Apocalyptica?

[size=10.0pt]That is a definite yes. [/size]
smile.gif

Quote:
Good to know, I've never heard them, I was just throwing some names out there for the OP to do their own research. The AD2000s might be overly transparent and picky about the amp pairing, I'm not very fond of my DT880s on solid state but with tubes they're altogether different.

They are indeed quite picky when it comes to amping- I bought my solid state Sheer Audio HA-006+, a Dynalo, just for the AD2000. The two make an excellent pair.

For stringed instruments the HD-595 on my McIntosh 1500, a tubed receiver from 1965, is a winning combination.

Mar 25, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #29 of 136

Quote:

From some of the readings i've done, the impression I have on the denons is that while they have a very good treble and bass extensions, they lack in the midrange. Do you think this affects how it reproduces the classical music?

For the lower part of the lineup... yes. For the D7000 no. If there is any recession in the midrange it's minescule. It is an amazingly natural sounding can.

Actually, my favorite cellist is Anner Bylsma. Then maybe Tanya Tompkins. Of course Jordi Savall & Hille Perl... but that's another story.

Mar 25, 2011 at 6:59 AM Post #30 of 136
For Cello, although I'm not a huge fan of the sound of the instrument (I like though lol, just not in love with) there's a Dave Holland solo album I bought years ago and haven't revisited in quite a while, but most of you Cello lovers surely will appreciate the sound quality, technical performance and emotional inspiration of the work. Look out for Life Cycle on the ECM catalog.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back