Loving the sound of CELLO!
Mar 24, 2011 at 12:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 136

juman231

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, everyone

I recently bought a Yo-Yo Ma's CD and fell in love with the thick resonant music created by the cello that can't be found in violin (although violin offers other things that makes it enjoyable to listen to). I started listening to it yesterday while I was reading, but it just has a way of making me close my eyes and focus completely in listening to the music. I am so in love that it even got me considering if I should learn to play the cello myself. Currently listening with my J3 and ATH-M50, I can't stop wondering if this can sound even better with a different headphone. Would also LOVE to try listening to this with a full computer setup that I do not have yet =[...

Anyways, do you guys know of such headphones?  =O!

Mar 24, 2011 at 12:57 PM Post #2 of 136

sounds pretty damn epic on my HD650's. 

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:04 PM Post #4 of 136
im not really into classical.... don't hate it... just never got into it... but i'll give it a try. thanks.

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #6 of 136
i saw your signature... all i'll say is keep saving up (or get a credit card). it's worth it.

im listening to the cd you posted... sounds good to me. 

Quote:
Haha you're not helping my already overwhelming curiousity of trying out the HD650..

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:07 PM Post #7 of 136
Yo-Yo Ma is awesome! Pleased you found the cello, I love it when that happens.

Any of the open headphone favorites; HD600/650, DT880, SA5000, AD2000 etc - it all comes down to your idea of neutral. More important than headphones a good tube amp and source is in my opinion vital to get instruments/percussion sounding correct and spatial.

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:09 PM Post #8 of 136
never used a tube amp, but it sounds good on my high end solid state as well.

Quote:

Any of the open headphones favorites; HD600/650, DT880, SA5000, AD2000 etc - it all comes down to your idea of neutral. More important than headphones a good tube amp and source is in my opinion vital to get instruments/percussion sounding correct and spatial.

Mar 24, 2011 at 1:11 PM Post #9 of 136
For accurate cello reproduction at an affordable price I would recommend Fischer Audio's FA-003 or the FA-002w. For a more musical, albeit, inaccurate sound in the cello try the new FA-011 or to a lesser extent, the HD-650.

Also, those yo-yo ma recordings blow. Try this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Suites-Cello-Johann-Sebastian/dp/B000003FD9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1300986565&sr=8-1

The best I have heard a cello sound was on my Grado HP-1000 headphones powered by a Zana Deux.

Mar 24, 2011 at 4:28 PM Post #10 of 136

Quote:
For accurate cello reproduction at an affordable price I would recommend Fischer Audio's FA-003 or the FA-002w. For a more musical, albeit, inaccurate sound in the cello try the new FA-011 or to a lesser extent, the HD-650.

Also, those yo-yo ma recordings blow. Try this one:

http://www.amazon.com/Bach-Suites-Cello-Johann-Sebastian/dp/B000003FD9/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1300986565&sr=8-1

The best I have heard a cello sound was on my Grado HP-1000 headphones powered by a Zana Deux.

Well, actually Bach's Cello Suite was another CD I bought along with the Yo-Yo-Ma CD, but mine is performed by Mstislav Rostropovich. Hopefully they're as good as the ones you recommended =] 

Meanwhile, I'm off to school with my portable rig =] I...might go to class.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #11 of 136
I guess it depends on what particular aspects of sound reproduction you value over the others, in general as well as with respect to the instrument in discussion. As far as the cello recordings are concerned, I really love the texture of the sound, the sound of the bow rubbing against the strings and the corresponding  "vibrating" resonance of the body of the instrument. This texture thing is done very, very nice, clean, clear and tactile, by both my AKGs (K501 and K1000), much better than the HD600 I have owned at some point. If you are looking for weight in sound, oh the other hand, maybe an AKG is not your best bet.

Mar 24, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #12 of 136

Quote:
I guess it depends on what particular aspects of sound reproduction you value over the others, in general as well as with respect to the instrument in discussion. As far as the cello recordings are concerned, I really love the texture of the sound, the sound of the bow rubbing against the strings and the corresponding  "vibrating" resonance of the body of the instrument. This texture thing is done very, very nice, clean, clear and tactile, by both my AKGs (K501 and K1000), much better than the HD600 I have owned at some point. If you are looking for weight in sound, oh the other hand, maybe an AKG is not your best bet.

The texture in the cello is a big thing for me as well. Would love to try out the AKGs in the future. On the other hand, I think the M50 portrays the weight of the cello pretty well.

Mar 24, 2011 at 6:48 PM Post #13 of 136
I listen to a lot of cello and viola de gamba, etc.
The AH-D7000 (especially with your good solid state rig) will knock your socks off. Unlike many of the other cans around, the solidity and sonority of the D7000 can not be equaled, while preserving the clarity and accuracy in the reproduction of the recording.
The D7k makes acoustic instruments come to life as it duplicates not just the notes but the resonant body. If you can find and afford it, this is the direction you need to go.
I have often referred to the M50 as the baby brother of the D7k, so if you appreciate the M50 and how it does things... imagine something similar but much better. More clarity, better mids, tighter bass, etc.

Good luck.

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #14 of 136

Quote:
I listen to a lot of cello and viola de gamba, etc.
The AH-D7000 (especially with your good solid state rig) will knock your socks off. Unlike many of the other cans around, the solidity and sonority of the D7000 can not be equaled, while preserving the clarity and accuracy in the reproduction of the recording.
The D7k makes acoustic instruments come to life as it duplicates not just the notes but the resonant body. If you can find and afford it, this is the direction you need to go.
I have often referred to the M50 as the baby brother of the D7k, so if you appreciate the M50 and how it does things... imagine something similar but much better. More clarity, better mids, tighter bass, etc.

Good luck.

I think you mistook my "want to try" computer setup as setups I currently own.

From some of the readings i've done, the impression I have on the denons is that while they have a very good treble and bass extensions, they lack in the midrange. Do you think this affects how it reproduces the classical music?

Mar 24, 2011 at 8:52 PM Post #15 of 136

Quote:

Any of the open headphone favorites; HD600/650, DT880, SA5000, AD2000 etc - it all comes down to your idea of neutral. More important than headphones a good tube amp and source is in my opinion vital to get instruments/percussion sounding correct and spatial.

Not so sure about the ATH-AD2000- I'm a cellist and my HD-595s do a much better job with stringed instruments. The AD2000s simply sound "wrong", it's hard to describe why. For everything else though the AD2000s are more of a leap forward from the 595s than I ever thought they would be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back