Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Jul 12, 2020 at 1:40 AM Post #676 of 2,329
So did you didn't compare the S1 to the Dense? sans tube amp. And balanced out, cause the se is weak.
I don't have a 4.4mm balanced cable for the Solaris.

If you are perfectly happy with the S1 then don't let my words sway you honestly. Sometimes in this hobby the best course of action is to be ignorant and in bliss. If you are happy with S1 then don't let my words make you unhappy.

No matter what I say, you won't know something for sure until you hear it. You might hate the Dense's midrange for all I know if you prefer a more neutral style of midrange and think Dense is a piece of crap.

Personally, for me and with my gear, Dense is what I was searching for in a DAC. I am usually very steadfast about my tastes and opinions and don't care much about what other people like because in this hobby what matters at the end of the day is personal satisfaction. If you are buying something just because some reviewer/Headfier said something good, you are doing it wrong. Reviews/Impressions should be a starting point for your search and your ears should always have the final judgement.

Jul 12, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #677 of 2,329
Alright listened to the Dense bareback on my CA Solaris. It's just as beautiful. Completely destroys the SPX. I am convinced this is the best dongle on the market right now.
I will now leave this thread. Good Luck yall!
Well you seem to hear it all different. From the hundreds of this thread you are the one and only who don't like the S1. Nevermind as we all have different taste in food/music etc.

Jul 12, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #678 of 2,329
Yeah, the SE is weak. I honestly don't expect this much of differences, but the balanced just sounds much better.

Jul 12, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #679 of 2,329
Well you seem to hear it all different. From the hundreds of this thread you are the one and only who don't like the S1. Nevermind as we all have different taste in food/music etc.

That's not what he said-- he does like it, there's just another he likes a little bit more.

Jul 12, 2020 at 9:44 AM Post #680 of 2,329
I don't have a 4.4mm balanced cable for the Solaris.

If you are perfectly happy with the S1 then don't let my words sway you honestly. Sometimes in this hobby the best course of action is to be ignorant and in bliss. If you are happy with S1 then don't let my words make you unhappy.

No matter what I say, you won't know something for sure until you hear it. You might hate the Dense's midrange for all I know if you prefer a more neutral style of midrange and think Dense is a piece of crap.

Personally, for me and with my gear, Dense is what I was searching for in a DAC. I am usually very steadfast about my tastes and opinions and don't care much about what other people like because in this hobby what matters at the end of the day is personal satisfaction. If you are buying something just because some reviewer/Headfier said something good, you are doing it wrong. Reviews/Impressions should be a starting point for your search and your ears should always have the final judgement.

You're preaching to the choir :) I always say trust your own ears, and 'your' opinion is really the only one that matters.

I am happy lol, just curious that's all, especially when someone says 'this destroyed this 'blank'. And this is tge best dongle... ect. I've been buying audio gear since the 70's and I've seen and heard it all as far as opinions. I'm just like small audio equipment and have a crazy curiosity and like to try new stuff- like most of us do. With super glowing comments like that you can't help but be curious. And I only have 2 hobbies, so I don't mind buying new stuff to buy. I'm lucky to have expendable income to check stuff out- I usually sell it on here and lose money lol

But that's OK, I dont do drugs or drink expensive bourbon anymore so at least with gears I don't end up passed out somewhere and I have no idea how I got there ha ha. My brain is starting to function normally again :wink: Honestly it's the pain of listing the item, boxing it up, and taking it to ups etc more than the loss of a few quid.

So with amazon I just take it and give it to the girl at khols which is literally a mile away.. And bobs your uncle im done!

And it didn't matter anyways when I realized you were using an amp with the dongle. And you're right, I like a more neutral presentation without a lot of colouration. Even though the S1 isn't totally neutral, it has some warmth and and organic sound to me.

But if amazon gets it I will 'demo' it :)

Enjoy your gears, thats all that matters

And over the last 2 years when I've went on new gear binges, I can honestly say everything sounded good. Some were more to my liking than others but eveything sounded good and most of it I would highly recommend like dx160, r3 pro, the Sonys. Fiio btr5, e1da 9038s, cayin n6ii, lotoo paw 6000 ect. For me, the smaller the dap or dac the better.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #681 of 2,329
Anyway, in regards of outputting S1 to amplifier, I tried that with WA11 analog input and it seems it isn't sufficient to send line level output, so it isn't loud enough. And unfortunately, using it this way isn't recommended in my experience, as it send distorted signals if I push it into 100 volume and then just got amplified more.

This works best with IEM and easier to drive headphones.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #682 of 2,329
Yeah, the SE is weak. I honestly don't expect this much of differences, but the balanced just sounds much better.

I'm finding that on a lot of dacs and daps now. The se on the hiby r3 pro sounded underwhelming compared to the balanced. I also thought the btr5 se was bla also, sony zx300 comes to mind too.

Jul 12, 2020 at 11:18 AM Post #683 of 2,329
The fact that this thing has 4.4 balanced is a huge plus for me. I have a mild aesthetic fetish for 4.4mm cables and this device allows me to easily use my 4.4 cables with my Macbook.

Jul 12, 2020 at 7:57 PM Post #684 of 2,329
I'm not sure it's an OTG issue because USB-C spec has built in OTG. Have no idea on Lightning end though. What is clear to me is that Lotoo cable does not provide power to my iPhone and the Apple OEM cable does provide any power to the S1. It seems power can only go in one direction on the Lightning end, and dictated by how the cable is configured. I really hope Lotoo cable is fully MFi certified so it doesn't mysteriously stop working with an iOS firmware update.

Has there been precedence for this? Or am I overthinking things?

The Lotoo USB-C to Lightning cable is compelling, but if it becomes incompatible in the future, that will hamper the portability a bit.

Jul 12, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #686 of 2,329
I
I have the iOS 14 beta installed on my iPhone. My S1 with the Lotoo USB-C to lightning cable works fine. That said, there are rumors Apple may remove the lightning port on the 2021 iPhone.

And use usb-c? Or no port at all- wireless charging and wireless data transfer.

Jul 13, 2020 at 12:06 AM Post #689 of 2,329
I have the iOS 14 beta installed on my iPhone. My S1 with the Lotoo USB-C to lightning cable works fine. That said, there are rumors Apple may remove the lightning port on the 2021 iPhone.

Good to know!

I think we are a long way away from any mainstream flagships removing their main data/charging port. It looks like Lightning will probably stay for at least one more year. They make money from all the all the peripherals, licensing, etc.

My wish was that they would move to USB-C for a couple of years now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back