Lotoo PAW S1 - Designed for HIFI on the go with Lotoo PAW quality and the first USB DAC-AMP with dual 3.5mm & 4.4mm output
Jul 11, 2020 at 4:17 PM Post #646 of 2,329
I tried comparing single ended and balanced today, driving JVC FD01. Dang, the differences is quite a lot. The single ended lack body and a bit thin sounding, while the balanced sounds fuller. The FD01 is a bit bright in nature, so the balanced out bring the tonal more to my liking.

The bigger power from balanced out made quite a bit of differences I guess.

Jul 11, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #647 of 2,329
I tried comparing single ended and balanced today, driving JVC FD01. Dang, the differences is quite a lot. The single ended lack body and a bit thin sounding, while the balanced sounds fuller. The FD01 is a bit bright in nature, so the balanced out bring the tonal more to my liking.

The bigger power from balanced out made quite a bit of differences I guess.

Balanced outs, no matter what people say always sound better to me. More power, less noise, and better image rejection- less crosstalk between channels.

Are there excellent sounding single end outputs? Absolutely, but in my experience when they bother putting in a balanced output that output sounds better.

Usually to me, the stage seems bigger and things seem a bit more focused and dynamic.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #648 of 2,329
With balanced output I get too much interference with phone. Especially when my hand is close to it :/

Jul 11, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #650 of 2,329
The interference is really quite annoying :frowning2:

Jul 11, 2020 at 4:56 PM Post #651 of 2,329
With balanced output I get too much interference with phone. Especially when my hand is close to it :/

I don’t notice any but I'm not using the stock cable. I'm using the little right angled woo audio cable. I noticed a bit when I used the stock cable and the phone was close to S1. But it was only occasional and didn't hamper my listening. What phone do you have?

Yep just switched cables and when I move the S1 close to the phone there's an intermittent static sound. I don't notice it at all with the woo audio cable. Which is kind of weird because the looto cable is thicker and seems like it would have better sheilding than the thin woo cable.

I just wanted right angle plugs.

Oh and the S1 is easy to take apart. It would be easy to add some emi sheilding tape to the back and frame. Don't know if it would eliminate the all the noise. Maybe it depends on what type of antennas your particular phone uses. Usually 2 with one multiband.

20200711_165234.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #652 of 2,329
I've been using the S1 a lot with no EQ. Not sure if it happens with other EQs, but I get a vocal echo effect, usually when skipping to the next track. Gives songs a unique depth. Best audio purchase this year for me

Jul 11, 2020 at 6:35 PM Post #653 of 2,329
Dense Audio Adapt Reference has those liquid and smooth mids reminiscent of a pair of Audeze. Paw S1 is good but the midrange is a little too neutral and somewhat dryish. It's good if you are into the neutral sort of sound but the midrange on the Adapt is just beautiful.

Adapt also has tighter bass with better impact. I never liked the bass impact of AKM chips.

Are you talking about direct output of Dense usb dongle or through BA300S tube amp per your signature? I guess it is just a matter of pair up synergy and which IEM or amp/headphones you are using. Dense uses old ES9218p dac and no amplifier, the same as in shanling M0 and Q1 and hidizs ap80 budget daps, and those are smoother tuned and less resolving. In comparison, you are right, S1 will be more reference and less colored.

Jul 11, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #654 of 2,329
Are you talking about direct output of Dense usb dongle or through BA300S tube amp per your signature? I guess it is just a matter of pair up synergy and which IEM or amp/headphones you are using. Dense uses old ES9218p dac and no amplifier, the same as in shanling M0 and Q1 and hidizs ap80 budget daps, and those are smoother tuned and less resolving. In comparison, you are right, S1 will be more reference and less colored.
Dense Audio sounds more resolving to me compared to the Balanced Output of Paw S1 through BA300s on a pair of Diana V2
Regardless, the difference is not much but the overall tuning of the Dense is just perfection imo

Jul 11, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #655 of 2,329
Liquid mids usually refers to some coloration, and less neutral. Like ak in their non flagship have their mids like that.

Usually with more coloration, there is less resolution. And in my experience those amped sabre chips have some added treble bite that you could perceive as resolution. But on a really busy track or orchestral recordings things appear a bit congested, not open and resolving.

The e1da 9038 was even congested soundinv compared to S1 on busy tracks. It did have more treble bite, but it wasn't as natural sounding and detailed/resolving as S1 treble.

Other than power output I was disappointed in the E1DA 9038S 3 after hearing all the praise. It sounded like the r3 pro saber where the mids are really up front and you've got nice treble energy but not much depth and highs sounded slightly off.

The r3p saber was actually a little more natural sounding.

Would like to hear dense- curious but not unless it's bought from an easy return outlet.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 7:12 PM Post #656 of 2,329
Liquid mids usually refers to some coloration, and less neutral. Like ak in their non flagship have their mids like that.

Usually with more coloration, there is less resolution. And in my experience those amped sabre chips have some added treble bite that you could perceive as resolution. But on a really busy track or orchestral recordings things appear a bit congested, not open and resolving.

The e1da 9038 was even congested soundinv compared to S1 on busy tracks. It did have more treble bite, but it wasn't as natural sounding and detailed/resolving as S1 treble.
Yea as I said S1 is more neutral.

Dense is more resolving due to actual resolution and not due to brighter Treble. I am pretty good at distinguishing a bright headphones that tries to fake transparency vs an actually transparent headphone. A great example of this would be Abyss 1266 Phi vs Sennheiser Orpheus 2. Abyss 1266 Phi might seem more detailed due to brighter Treble vs the actually more transparent He-1.

Coming back to Dense vs S1. The Dense casts a more solid image and manages to separate better which leads to higher resolution. The actual raw resolution is similar with slight edge to Dense but the Dense by virtue of its Imaging and Separation gives you a clearer picture.

My main problem with 9038S was I thought it was a little too bright and analytical.
And again, my main problem with S1 is its too neutral and slightly even dry. It's the DAC equivalent of a dry biscuit, perfectly edible but leaves you wanting more.

Dense midrange sounds closest to my RME ADI 2 FS, I suppose I prefer that kind of midrange. Both midranges have this characteristic sweetness to it.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 7:16 PM Post #657 of 2,329
The interference is really quite annoying :frowning2:
Interference from LTE is a wider problem than just the S1. The 9038s has the very same problem. I don’t understand how manufacturers don’t test their product in the obvious use case... my suspicion is they test their products indoors and even use WiFi calling so their test rigs / phones don’t actually use much LTE data transfer...

Jul 11, 2020 at 7:18 PM Post #658 of 2,329
Yea as I said S1 is more neutral.

Dense is more resolving due to actual resolution and not due to brighter Treble. I am pretty good at distinguishing a bright headphones that tries to fake transparency vs an actually transparent headphone. A great example of this would be Abyss 1266 Phi vs Sennheiser Orpheus 2. Abyss 1266 Phi might seem more detailed due to brighter Treble vs the actually more transparent He-1.

Coming back to Dense vs S1. The Dense casts a more solid image and manages to separate better which leads to higher resolution. The actual raw resolution is similar with slight edge to Dense but the Dense by virtue of its Imaging and Separation gives you a clearer picture.

My main problem with 9038S was I thought it was a little too bright and analytical.
And again, my main problem with S1 is its too neutral and slightly even dry. It's the DAC equivalent of a dry biscuit. perfectly tasty but leaves you wanting more.

Dense midrange sounds closest to my RME ADI 2 FS, I suppose I prefer that kind of midrange. Both midranges have this characteristic sweetness to it.

Wow that must be some imaging, because with my iems S1 is one of the best imaging dacs/daps I've heard. Not counting flagships. The E1DA seemed more congested and 2 dimensional.

Well if it ever arrives on amazon I might check it out. I like the small size and cooling fins look.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #659 of 2,329
Would like to hear dense- curious but not unless it's bought from an easy return outlet.

I was pretty much ready to return the Dense today without listening actually, they offer a 30 day return window because
1) It is Grey
2) It is 3.5mm

I am building a Blackout themed workstation with everything Black. I also ordered a 4.4mm to 4.4mm Pure Silver Upgrade cable to connect the S1 to my amp.

The Dense completely ruined my plans after listening to it. I need to find a way to paint this thing Black. I am not much into custom painting but my buddy says it is easy to paint aluminum and he'll help me out.
I am still trying to change my upgrade cable order.
Dammit

Jul 11, 2020 at 7:27 PM Post #660 of 2,329
I was pretty much ready to return the Dense today without listening actually, they offer a 30 day return window because
1) It is Grey
2) It is 3.5mm

I am building a Blackout themed workstation with everything Black. I also ordered a 4.4mm to 4.4mm Pure Silver Upgrade cable to connect the S1 to my amp.

The Dense completely ruined my plans after listening to it. I need to find a way to paint this thing Black. I am not much into custom painting but my buddy says it is easy to paint aluminum and he'll help me out.
I am still trying to change my upgrade cable order.
Dammit

Lol oh dear, 30 days return- wallet is slowly opening. :) that's quite an endorsement, I love the sound of the S1, but always open to trying new gear.

Have you compared them straight balanced out S1 to the Dense 3.5 no amp? Because I'm not using an amp.

Aluminum is dead easy to paint, just a can of Krylon will do in a dust free room.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back