Lotoo Paw 6000 (2019)
Jun 16, 2021 at 3:58 AM Post #1,126 of 1,457
II don't think I've seen such a large gap in output power but suffice it say I find it necessary to use this device exclusively in high gain - has this been the same experience for the rest of you?
I do set volume a little higher on PAW6000 comparing to some other DAPs, but i didn't have iems yet that couldn't be driven on a low gain.
There is nothing wrong with setting it to 50, or 70, or 90 out of 100, it's still less than 100, so high gain isn't required.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2021 at 5:44 AM Post #1,127 of 1,457
Just got my Lotoo Paw6K back from MusicTeck after a fault with the 4.4mm output. In fact, it's a brand new one, so kudos to them for their excellent service. I forgot how amazing this little thing sounds, having been on a N6II roll for the last month. Pairs excellently with the IE900. Good to have it back.

P1090609.jpg

Jul 3, 2021 at 11:49 PM Post #1,129 of 1,457
Looking to upgrade from the Fiio X5 II I have been using for the past few years. I have JH 13 v2 as my IEMs and looking for something in the price range of the Paw6k (~1k). How do you think the Paw6k will pair up/synergize with the JH 13 v2? I want to mainly understand this in terms of the sound quality/signature, since the Paw6k seems to tick all the other boxes (build quality, battery life, OS, etc.). Almost all my library is composed of FLAV, WAV, and DSD files. I appreciate clarity, separation, detail, and enjoy good and dynamic bass.

Looking forward to getting you take on this. Thanks!

Jul 4, 2021 at 12:58 AM Post #1,130 of 1,457
Looking to upgrade from the Fiio X5 II I have been using for the past few years. I have JH 13 v2 as my IEMs and looking for something in the price range of the Paw6k (~1k). How do you think the Paw6k will pair up/synergize with the JH 13 v2? I want to mainly understand this in terms of the sound quality/signature, since the Paw6k seems to tick all the other boxes (build quality, battery life, OS, etc.). Almost all my library is composed of FLAV, WAV, and DSD files. I appreciate clarity, separation, detail, and enjoy good and dynamic bass.

Looking forward to getting you take on this. Thanks!
ZG1984

Don't know what your taste in Music is, but you will not be disappointed
Use to own a X5 and can tell you there will be no contest that the PAW6K in clarity, detail and bass.
Been using my PAW6K for almost a year, having previously used the FiiO Q5S with the AM3D THX amp, and it is just worlds better
IEM I was using were JH Audio Roxanne's, but have recently moved to JH Audio Jolene's and can tell you it is a great combination.
Very sure you will find there is great synergy with the JH13V2's you own.
The PAW6K has had no problem driving either of my CIEM Roxanne's or Jolene's at either low or high gain.
Black Background, no hiss, great amount of detail, good bass with the Roxanne's, Excellent bass with the Jolene's.
the mids and highs are clear and great soundstage on either of my JHn Audio IEM's
JH Audio's from the JH13's through the Layla's tend to be a little on the dark side, but with the PAW6K the EQ as well as the ATE settings can fix that.
With the Jolene's being both BA and Dynamic drivers, I've been running without EQ or ATE and enjoy the sound as its very balanced, with a little bump in bass, but more to the natural side of neutral with good FLAC recordings. For some of my MP3, using different ATE settings or some of the Parametric EQ settings others have shared here, it will wake up the JH Audo IEM's that are all BA drivers.

Hope this information helps a fellow JH Audio user.

Jul 4, 2021 at 8:57 AM Post #1,131 of 1,457
This is very helpful. Thanks for the detailed response. My taste in music is quite broad, from classic rock, to alternative, to jazz and electronic. So long that it is interesting, I'll listen to it.

I wonder what would be alternatives of the Paw6k to be taken seriously, within the same price range (say, up to 1.5k)? When I decided to upgrade and started researching, the first DAP I landed at was the Sony WM-NW1A. Read lots of good things about it but since it's getting quite old (and frankly distributers are hard to find at this point), I decided to keep looking.

Some other DAPs I came across are Fiio M15 (my sense is that Lotoo is a true hifi brand while Fiio is not, even given the impressive chipset of the M15; plus I don't like the Android OS), Cayin N6ii (has extra modularity capabilities that I'm not sure I need), various Astell & Kern models (why do they have so many?? I appreciate when a company makes one device per price range, sort of committing to it and giving us 'the best they've got to offer').

How would you compare the Paw6k to the Fiio M15, Cayin N6ii, and the A&K that is closest to it? Where would the Paw6k be superior/preferable or vice versa?

Thanks again.

Jul 4, 2021 at 9:10 AM Post #1,132 of 1,457
This is very helpful. Thanks for the detailed response. My taste in music is quite broad, from classic rock, to alternative, to jazz and electronic. So long that it is interesting, I'll listen to it.

I wonder what would be alternatives of the Paw6k to be taken seriously, within the same price range (say, up to 1.5k)? When I decided to upgrade and started researching, the first DAP I landed at was the Sony WM-NW1A. Read lots of good things about it but since it's getting quite old (and frankly distributers are hard to find at this point), I decided to keep looking.

Some other DAPs I came across are Fiio M15 (my sense is that Lotoo is a true hifi brand while Fiio is not, even given the impressive chipset of the M15; plus I don't like the Android OS), Cayin N6ii (has extra modularity capabilities that I'm not sure I need), various Astell & Kern models (why do they have so many?? I appreciate when a company makes one device per price range, sort of committing to it and giving us 'the best they've got to offer').

How would you compare the Paw6k to the Fiio M15, Cayin N6ii, and the A&K that is closest to it? Where would the Paw6k be superior/preferable or vice versa?

Thanks again.
The Fiio device you mention originally is very primitive. I think I had it in 2014 or so and it wasn't good then. Paw6k totally different performance. The rest are down to taste. Sony for smoother tuning. Cayin N6ii is basically more resolving but that depends on which module you use. The Lotoo is a very solid all around device - clean, linear, and resolving with a snappy UI.

Jul 4, 2021 at 6:59 PM Post #1,133 of 1,457

Thanks again.

zg1984

Thanks for mentioning your music choices, We are very similar music likes, with maybe not so much Electronic for me, and add in some classical (use to kind of reset my reference points) for what I listen to.

I've auditioned all of the devices you've mentioned in your thread above, and ended up with the PAW6000.
The sound is as close as you get to the "Reference" sound of the Lotoo PAW Gold Touch (LPGT), but with a little more bass presence, but maybe not the clarity (some say too clinical) Sound of the LPGT. You don't get the upsampling found in the LPGT, but as you'll read many turn that off. Also Your using the AKM AK4493 vs the AK4497 on the LPGT, but its all specs at this point. The implementation of the AK4493 DAC on the PAW 6000 to me sounded much better than other players using the AK4497 DAC.
If you want the true reference and clinical sound its the LPGT.
If you want something close at a lower cost for everyday, its the PAW6K, IMO.

There are many reviews from folks out there with the most current one coming from Deezel177 at the "HeadPhoneList" done this year.
https://theheadphonelist.com/lotoo-paw-6000-trickling-gold-a-digital-audio-player-review/
There are other reviews out there all around 1-3 years old from Twister6, Headfonia and Headphonics, as well as many here at Head-Fi, so you should be able to get a lot of research in.

As to what I heard in the other players
For the FiiO M15 it was nice, but given the specs, the discrete twin AK4497 DAC's and greater output power I would have expected more from the M15. The PAW6K was close if not better in many aspects, just to me sounded smother and more balanced with a better soundstage in depth, equal in width. The M15 was a little smoother than the M11 Pro, but again I expected more of a difference from both FiiO players over the PAW600 given the specs on paper. Goes to show (and many have mentioned in the reviews listed above) its not just specs or chipsets used to look at, but implementation, which I think Lotoo has done well, and is audibly different.
Against the Sony, I have not heard one of the "modded" versions but out of the box, it could not get as loud (and yes it was not a volume limited unit that are on the market), and it had Sony's typical house sound of being a little bass heavy, something JH Audio BA IEM's really don't need. JH Audio IEM's (except for the Jolene's) need a little more extension in the highs if anything. Mentioning this and reason I reached out to you initially, being another JH Audio user.
Versus the Cayin, I'll have to say I'm partial to the AKM DAC sound, but the ESS versions of the N6ii were done nicely. But then your forced to make the decision of getting the more capable chipset and Class A output but only Single Ended output, or slightly less specs with the Balanced output capable module. The AKM Module was good offered good balanced output sound, but I think the Lotoo' offerings sounded better. I have not heard a N6ii with the R01 Ladder DAC.
But the N6ii is a VERY nice Player and something to consider. For me it came to the sound with the AKM DAC, the size (The Cayin is much larger and heavier) and not needing the Android OS.
VS the AK Players. Their new SE180 with the changeable DAC/AMP module looks interesting but to get the base player and the AK Module puts it into the cost range of the Lotoo PAW Gold Touch (non Ti version) player, which I think is still much better choice.
I've owned a few AK's and while I liked them Initially, I've eventually sold them off. I think the PAW6K sounds better than many of their similarly priced players. Also not having to deal with the Android OS was a plus for me (but again this is what drivers others away from Lotoo, the lack of the Browser/app capable OS)

I tend to not stream Tidal or Amazon HD music with the PAW6K, even though I can over Bluetooth to it.
So not having an OS that has a browser was not an issue for me.
For streaming I listened to many USB-C DAC/AMP dongles and it came down to whose house sound I like (L&P, Earman, Lotoo, etc) and why I also own the PAW S1 for use when streaming, but have read on these forums, not having direct streaming capabilities on the PAW6K or LPGT was a dealer breaker for those listeners. You'll need to weigh that into you decisions

I will have to just clarify, all the above is in my opinion (IMO) and your mileage may vary (YMMV) but is how I viewed the same players you mentioned when initially looking to buy the PAW6K.

Hope this information helps

Jul 4, 2021 at 8:08 PM Post #1,134 of 1,457
Glad we have a dedicated thread as well. I just got my LP6K to replace my A&K 120 ii and my MEST 2 customs are on the way. Should be a decent pairing.

Jul 6, 2021 at 8:45 AM Post #1,136 of 1,457
Hello forum members. I just got a brand new paw6k and enjoying it a lot so far. I would appreciate if someone could tell me if the breathe light comes on. I switched it on in the settings but am unable to get it activated.
Have mine turned off to save a little power. It still breaths while charging, it stops when fully charged. Just listening to tunes mine worked before I turned it off.

Try seeing if it illuminates during charging if not there could be a problem with your unit.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2021 at 8:49 AM Post #1,137 of 1,457
Have mine turned off to save a little power. It still breaths while charging, it stops when fully charged. Just listening to tunes mine worked before I turned it off.

Try seeing if it illuminates during charging if not there could be a problem with your unit.
Thanks for your quick response. It does not illuminate under any circumstance. Not even during charging. I shall take it back to the distributor

Jul 6, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #1,138 of 1,457
Thanks everyone and especially NJoyzAudio for the super helpful information. After reading a few more of the recommended reviews and studying the Paw6k some more, I decided to go for it and ordered one today. I am confident it would be a great fit for me.

Would be happy to get recs on equalizing for the JH13 v2 cIEMs. NJoyzAudio, you mentioned that the EQ and ATE can correct for the relative darkness of the JH13 v2. I would love to hear how to do that.

Jul 7, 2021 at 1:47 AM Post #1,139 of 1,457
Thanks everyone and especially NJoyzAudio for the super helpful information. After reading a few more of the recommended reviews and studying the Paw6k some more, I decided to go for it and ordered one today. I am confident it would be a great fit for me.

Would be happy to get recs on equalizing for the JH13 v2 cIEMs. NJoyzAudio, you mentioned that the EQ and ATE can correct for the relative darkness of the JH13 v2. I would love to hear how to do that.
I cover the PAW 6000’s EQ and ATE functionalities fairly thoroughly on my review: https://theheadphonelist.com/lotoo-paw-6000-trickling-gold-a-digital-audio-player-review/3

If what you want is to alleviate darkness, you could do it in one of two ways. You could dip the bass between around 100-300Hz with a BPF (band-pass filter) to cut back on some warmth. Or, you could lift frequencies above 8-10kHz with a BPF as well for some added openness and air. But, as always, it’s best to play around and fine-tune it yourself to get the exact sound you’re looking for.

Jul 7, 2021 at 5:31 AM Post #1,140 of 1,457
PAW6K and C9 - from what I’ve read, they seem to be a good pairing? I might have to get saving!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back