Looking to upgrade...
Aug 18, 2012 at 7:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Robr12

New Head-Fier
Hi everyone. 

Currently I have the Sennheiser HD 558 headphones (foam modded). I love these headphones a lot, great sound and excellent sound-stage. However, I am looking to upgrade headphones and I am looking for similar qualities that exist with the 558's. Such as sound-stage. Closed or open. I was considering the HD 598's but I feel that may not be a worthy upgrade.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Aug 19, 2012 at 6:27 AM Post #3 of 11
Sounds more like you want a Denon D2000, and a good DAC. Great subbass, and generally known for being a fun can, and musical, it doesn't need an amp, but it really likes a clean source and lots of current.

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 11
I'd go for HE-400...

Cheerz!

Aug 19, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #5 of 11
Both of the above would be great choices. It depends on what you looking for. The d2k is a bottom up build. It features the wonderful sub bass. The he400 is in a whole difference class. It has beautiful bass for a planar and excels across the spectrum and is also a good all rounder. I'd take the he400...and have. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 19, 2012 at 9:24 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:
Both of the above would be great choices. It depends on what you looking for. The d2k is a bottom up build. It features the wonderful sub bass. The he400 is in a whole difference class. It has beautiful bass for a planar and excels across the spectrum and is also a good all rounder. I'd take the he400...and have. 
biggrin.gif

Was hoping you would pop in with the HE-400 :) 

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Hi everyone. 

Currently I have the Sennheiser HD 558 headphones (foam modded). I love these headphones a lot, great sound and excellent sound-stage. However, I am looking to upgrade headphones and I am looking for similar qualities that exist with the 558's. Such as sound-stage. Closed or open. I was considering the HD 598's but I feel that may not be a worthy upgrade.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

the (modded) hd558 is just a cloudier version of the hd598, just stating~

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
What are your thoughts on the AKG K550's or the Ultrasone 750's? 

K550 have great soundstage and imaging, are built well, but are ultimately a flawed product, they have a resonance in the upper mids that once you notice makes them unbearable and ruins everything. If you don't notice - ignorance is bliss.

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:24 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
K550 have great soundstage and imaging, are built well, but are ultimately a flawed product, they have a resonance in the upper mids that once you notice makes them unbearable and ruins everything. If you don't notice - ignorance is bliss.

so that's the reason behind the mixed opinions here about this pair at head fi? there was a whole thread discussing them and generally bad remarks about them.
hmm well on another note i had a quick 1 minute audition at the shop, and there is a reason why it was only a 1 minute audition 

sounded cold and i don't know- i didn't listen long enough to analyse it properly.... *crawls back to the shelter of his HD558*

Aug 19, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:
so that's the reason behind the mixed opinions here about this pair at head fi? there was a whole thread discussing them and generally bad remarks about them.
hmm well on another note i had a quick 1 minute audition at the shop, and there is a reason why it was only a 1 minute audition 

sounded cold and i don't know- i didn't listen long enough to analyse it properly.... *crawls back to the shelter of his HD558*

Yeah, was another member that made a fuss about it first, others did notice there was something wrong but not what. Then purrin confirmed, and then I confirmed. so its pretty much agreed now.
Still a great closed can for movies, beats my D7000. But for music.... Nope, my Denons are just boss. You should really consider the HE-400 though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back