Looking to upgrade from Sony V6 for un-amped Macbook/iPhone source
Feb 11, 2011 at 2:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

jmp15

New Head-Fier
I listen directly from my MacBook and iPhone 4.  I don't use an outboard amp/DAC, and for various reasons don't want to go down that path at the moment.

I'm using Sony V6s and they are doing the job, but I'd like to upgrade to something better for at-home listening.  I'm considering either the Senn H595 or Denon D2000.  Would either of these work well unamped?  What improvements should I expect from either of these over the V6s. 

Does anyone think I'm better off just sticking with the V6s rather than throwing money at pricier cans, especially considering I'm going un-amped straight from the computer?

Thanks for your advice and recommendations.

-Mike

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:14 PM Post #2 of 3
The MacBook headphones out is very poor with loads of noise. The V6 is a very good headphones when played through a good source. Spend your money on a Apogee Duet/One and you'll be much more happy.

Feb 11, 2011 at 3:27 PM Post #3 of 3
If I go with an amp, it will have to be a portable.  I don't have a dedicated place in the house to listen or set my laptop, so I often end up sitting in a char or laying on the bed.  I'd prefer not to use an amp, if possible, even knowing I am giving up some potential improvement in sound quality. 

If I do loosen up and go for an amp/DAC, then I suppose that opens up a lot more headphone options for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back