Looking to (possibly) upgrade the portable cans. $200ish cap
Jan 23, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #16 of 19
Well not to many of these headphones should be considered portable in the least. The only other noteable headphone I can think of would be the Sony MDR 7509 Pro's which are about as nautual of a sound( Balanced, absolutely incredible sound sig for recording or tracking.) They aren't small but they isolate fairly well, got to use them last week and though it's not my personal favorite sound sig( I'm a V shaped person) I still found them to be very good for what they are.

None of these headphones are small, the Denon's hardly isolate and almost sound open, the Ultrasones( all of them) are more forward and punchy OR weighty in the low end. The Shures are uncomfortable for some. The M50's are decent at most things, they don't do much wrong especially when you consider their price.

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:48 PM Post #17 of 19
The 580 seems to be the most universally praised (at the very least, the least polarizing) of the three and FWIR, the 580 is the most balanced.

I haven't heard any of the Ultrasone models before, but there are many threads comparing and/or reviewing these models (just search for it); and I believe there are 2 threads on the first 2 pages talking about the 580 right now.  From the little that I remember reading of the 680/780 months ago, quite a few people had complaints about piercing highs, whereas the treble is less fatiguing on the 580.

Just remember, everybody hears things differently and has different preferences.  Ideally, you should demo these headphones in person, but I understand that that's not always possible.

Good luck!

Quote:
Quote:
From what I've been reading, the Ultrasone HFI-580 seems to be a good fit for portability and your taste in music.  It leans more toward lively and "fun" than flat and neutral, but for your type of music, I think that is a good thing.

How do these compare to the 680/780 models from Ultrasone?

Jan 23, 2011 at 8:09 PM Post #19 of 19
If you think so, you're entitled to your opinion.  There aren't any absolutes in terms of audio perception and enjoyment and some people don't think the 580s can roll with the XB500 (for example) in terms of bass.  Who knows--slight manufacturing variations might be responsible for opposing views on a particular headphone more than most people think.  I'm only repeating some opinions I've read on here (at least the opinions that have stuck in my memory), and in terms of my use of the word "balanced", that was relative, and is only in comparison to the 680/780.

Like I said, I've never heard any of them and so I also asked the OP to do a search of this forum for more informed opinions.

Quote:
Quote:
The 580 seems to be the most universally praised (at the very least, the least polarizing) of the three and FWIR, the 580 is the most balanced.

What's your definition of balanced? The 580's ARE basshead cans right up their with the Denon D1100, Shure SRH750DJ, Sony XB500/700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back