Looking to (possibly) upgrade the portable cans. $200ish cap
Jan 23, 2011 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

R-Audiohead

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey Head-fiers,

While I am not necessarily in a rush, the upgrade bug is beginning to bite.  I am more than pleased with my current home setup, but the quality of this setup is starting to bleed into a need to upgrade the portable one.  I am currently running a set of Sennheiser HD 448 headphones for portables, and while I do still have a soft spot for them.... I find myself wanting a bit more.  I am currently running a FiiO e7/e9 combo, so ultra low impedance is not of concern since I can use the e7 as a portable amp [iPod, LOD, e7]

The models I am currently considering at this price point include (no order):

-Sennheiser PX 360 (New headphone, really not much out there but I am super curious)
-Shure SRH-840 (Maybe worth waiting for the SRH-940s?)
-Ultrasone PRO750 (used - decent condition)

Music genres include Hard/soft/alternative Rock, Instrumental, Limited hiphop/rap.

I prefer a pretty neutral, flat sound signature, but part of me is thinking about mixing up the collection a bit with something a little more lively (possibly?)

If someone is familiar with the Senn HD 448, my impression can be found here: http://www.head-fi.org/products/sennheiser-hd448-around-the-ear-headphones/reviews#4486

As well as my impressions of the CharterOak SP-1 (around post #71 on) : http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/477485/review-charteroak-acoustics-sp-1-gmp-450-pro/60

The links are only there if they help you understand my tastes.  Any input is greatly appreciated. 

Thanks guys!

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #2 of 19
Also, no thanks on any recommendation for the ATH-M50.

The last thing I want is overdone low end response.

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #5 of 19
I am sure these headphones have their place, and are well respected.

I have a lot of respect for the ATH-M50s as a whole.  I can tell you I probably would not prefer them.  That has nothing to do with their actual quality as a headphone in general.

Thank you anyways for the input!

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #8 of 19
From what I've been reading, the Ultrasone HFI-580 seems to be a good fit for portability and your taste in music.  It leans more toward lively and "fun" than flat and neutral, but for your type of music, I think that is a good thing.

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #9 of 19
I had a roomate pick up the 32 ohm version of these (DT770s) just last week.  He should be around in another week or so, and I definitely plan on giving them a run through to get some impressions.  I would probably get the 80 ohm version or something of the sort since I have the amp to drive them.  I know the sound sig of each ohm version varies a bit, so I have some more reading to do there.

You've heard the DT 770s?

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #11 of 19
If you say the PRO750s have a weighted low end I will certainly consider them less so at this point.

They seemed like the highest "tier" of headphone given my price range (although used) - I know that has nothing to do with whether or not they are the right headphone.

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:36 PM Post #13 of 19

Quote:
From what I've been reading, the Ultrasone HFI-580 seems to be a good fit for portability and your taste in music.  It leans more toward lively and "fun" than flat and neutral, but for your type of music, I think that is a good thing.

How do these compare to the 680/780 models from Ultrasone?

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #14 of 19

Quote:
If you say the PRO750s have a weighted low end I will certainly consider them less so at this point.

They seemed like the highest "tier" of headphone given my price range (although used) - I know that has nothing to do with whether or not they are the right headphone.

Umm the DT770 have REALLLY over powering bass which really recesses the mids(AB'd them against the M50's at a local Guitar center about last month) You seem to be confused or you've read the wrong reviews cause some of the things you're assuming have been plain wrong.  How about you try listening with your ears, I suggest a guitar center or a Sam Ash or something they should have something to use.

If your gonna ask me of the ones you've listed I'll say the 840's and the Denond D2000's might be your best bet.

Jan 23, 2011 at 7:41 PM Post #15 of 19

Quote:
Quote:

Umm the DT770 have REALLLY over powering bass which really recesses the mids(AB'd them against the M50's at a local Guitar center about last month) You seem to be confused or you've read the wrong reviews cause some of the things you're assuming have been plain wrong.  How about you try listening with your ears, I suggest a guitar center or a Sam Ash or something they should have something to use.

If your gonna ask me of the ones you've listed I'll say the 840's and the Denond D2000's might be your best bet.

The Dt770s were not really cans I was considering for portable use.  I just simply mentioned I had planned on giving these a run through (testing out his version) b/c I have the opportunity to do so.

Is this referencing the assumption regarding the M50's low end?  I haven't been meaning to make any sweeping assumptions....

Edit: Terrible grammar fixes... ha!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back