Looking to improve my personal listening equipment. Help needed.
Jun 7, 2011 at 10:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

doctorx

New Head-Fier
Note: I also posted this in the "Buying headphones?" thread but I got no replies so, I'm attempting a new thread. Sorry if this is not allowed.

Hi there. I'm looking to improve my personal hearing equipment. I have read a lot of the threads around this forum but, I would like direct feedback and opinions.

Music taste: Mostly Electro/Progressive/House/Trance (Deadmau5, Tiesto, AvB, Afrojack, etc...), Dubstep, Drum 'N Bass (Dieselboy), Hip-Hop/Rap/R&B (Rej3ctz, Chris Brown, Lil Wayne, The Dream), and the ocassional Pop/Rock/Latin (Adele, Christina Perri, etc...).
Current equipment: Bose On-Ear (the ones I currently use at home), and Bose Mobile In-Ear 2i headset (which I use while I'm outside my apartment, unrelated to this post).
Price range: No fixed price range but the best bang for the buck. Say... $200~$400.
Amp: Yes. I currently own a FiiO E5 that works really well and while I was looking for something a bit better, I decided to purchase the PA2V2. Still on transit.
Audio source: Intel DX58SO Integrated HD Audio (Realtek-based), Apple iPad 2 (using FiiO L3 Line-Out Dock), HTC EVO 4G.
Track quality: Most of my music is >256 kbps MP3, 256 kbps AAC, and Apple Lossless (mostly converted from FLAC, some of them ripped from original CDs). I'm trying to replace most of my current MP3 tracks to >256 kbps AAC and Apple Lossless. I only use iTunes for my music listening.
Mobility: Not needed. I plan to use these >98% at home.

I would like headphone as well as amp recommendations. I've seen good feedback about the Sony MDR-XB1000 (not yet released in the US) being better than the Bose OE on the bass frequencies, but you guys know more than I do. Thank you for your replies.

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:12 PM Post #2 of 10
Shure SRH-840/940/750DJ, Ultrasone HFI-580/780 or Pro 750/900, Sony XB700/1000, Denon D2000/D5000.

Does the $200-400 include the amp also, or would you budget for it separately?

Jun 7, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #3 of 10
shure srh750dj because they are bass heavy as well as pick up a fiio e7 as realtek onboard is utter S***.

Jun 8, 2011 at 12:59 AM Post #6 of 10

Quote:
Quote:
shure srh750dj because they are bass heavy as well as pick up a fiio e7 as realtek onboard is utter S***.

Is that bad? What about it's optical audio output port?

i am ordering myself a fiio e7. but i haven't tried it yet. but yes i have realtek in my netbook and it is terrible. and the shure srh750dj requires an amp so i believe the fiio e7 will do the trick.

Jun 20, 2011 at 8:20 PM Post #9 of 10

Quote:
I purchased the Sony XB700 and indeed they are better than the Bose OE, for only $129. Next on my list are the Shure 750DJ.

the shure srh750dj will have less bass but it will have more clarity and better mids and highs. i thought they were really good. when i had my pair i got them for the same price as your xb700s so keep an eye out.

Jun 20, 2011 at 11:29 PM Post #10 of 10

Quote:
the shure srh750dj will have less bass but it will have more clarity and better mids and highs. i thought they were really good. when i had my pair i got them for the same price as your xb700s so keep an eye out.

Well... I'm planning to use those to actually DJ so... bass emphasis is not that needed. For now, the PA2V2 ($60) + Sony MDR-XB700 ($140 inc. tax) are a BIG improvement over the Bose OE ($192 inc. tax). BTW, the Bose OE sounds horrible with the PA2V2 on high volume levels. Distortion all the way. With the MDR-XB700 it's another story. These headphones love to be amped.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back