Looking to get some headphones mainly for listening to music
Jul 24, 2012 at 3:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Haza1998

New Head-Fier
So I am looking to get some headphones my budget is around $200-$250 I am willing to go a little higher but not too much. I will mainly be using them for listening to music on my computer. I mainly listen to electronic or dubstep also I don't have an amp but might get one if necessary. Also I have just joined so sorry if I have done anything wrong or something. Any suggestions?

Jul 24, 2012 at 3:26 PM Post #2 of 23
The V-Moda M80 is a great headphone for your listening tastes.  They have a mild bass boost, clear mids, and kindly rolled off highs.  The most recent revision in particular the white version has a better fit than the older revisions.  The temples on the older revisions would poke into the side of your head a bit, but the new rev. fit quite nicely.

Here is a review of the M80:
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/v-moda-crossfade-m-80-and-v-80-true-blood-headphones

If that does not do it for you then the Sennheiser HD-25-1-ii is my next recommendation.  The HD-25-1-ii sounds a bit more neutral compared to the bass heavy M80.  Both are made well and should last you quite a while.

The V-Moda M80 runs $199 and for $50 you have have them place custom icons on the ear pieces.

The HD-25-1-ii run $250 and below.

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:10 AM Post #4 of 23
As much as I love my 598s I cannot recommend them for electronica or dubstep.  They simply don't have the bass impact.  The V-modas are nice from what I hear.  I could recommend you an Ultrasone as well.  The HFI series to be more specific.  My 580s cater to my low end cravings very well for about 120. 

Jul 25, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #6 of 23
Quote:
As much as I love my 598s I cannot recommend them for electronica or dubstep.  They simply don't have the bass impact.  The V-modas are nice from what I hear.  I could recommend you an Ultrasone as well.  The HFI series to be more specific.  My 580s cater to my low end cravings very well for about 120. 

I was actually looking at the Ultrasone Pro 750 they are almost $400 but they are only $230 on Amazon would they be good or would the HFI series be better? If so I was also looking at the HFI 2400 any thoughts on it?

Jul 25, 2012 at 6:36 PM Post #9 of 23
I can't vouch for either of those, but keep in mind that the 2400 is an open back headphone meaning it will likely leak noise quite a bit.  The 750 is closed back, so the isolation will be much better.  Also I think the 2400 and the 750 have detachable cables.  Sound wise I couldn't say.  Which ever you get should make you happy.  Just keep in mind the open vs. closed.  I'm sure somebody can give you more info on the actual sound. 

Jul 26, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #10 of 23
I did know that the 2400s are open backed. I was just wondering which of those two (the Ultrasone pro 750 or the HFI 2400) would be better. Or if neither of them then any other suggestions would be great.

Jul 26, 2012 at 7:40 AM Post #11 of 23
+1 for Ultrasones

+1 for V-Moda M-80 or do u wanna get the M-100 ? :)

+1 for D2000 

All really really good cans...

Something else to consider...to be different:

Phillips Uptown

B&W P3 / P5

Or the more common

DT770 - maybe Darth series -  awesome + gr8 looking? but $ not sure...

DT990 - but recessed mids

Q701 + amp does wonders

Jul 26, 2012 at 8:03 AM Post #12 of 23
Quote:
+1 for Ultrasones

+1 for V-Moda M-80 or do u wanna get the M-100 ? :)

+1 for D2000 

All really really good cans...

Something else to consider...to be different:

Phillips Uptown

B&W P3 / P5

Or the more common

DT770 - maybe Darth series -  awesome + gr8 looking? but $ not sure...

DT990 - but recessed mids

Q701 + amp does wonders

Which of those do you think would be best for me? By the way I also do a fair bit of gaming but they will mainly be for listening to music.

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:45 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:
Which of those do you think would be best for me? By the way I also do a fair bit of gaming but they will mainly be for listening to music.

Ok...if it was me...and if looks of cans also matter...I would go for Ultrasones HFI/PRO or V-Moda ...they are excellent cans for the price and they look awesome...
Thats just my opinion... I think they would really do you justice. Plus u know, try to invest in an amp...it really helps...a good can, becomes much better with an amp.

If you already have a good sound card...then no issue, just an get amp.

If you don't, then get a good sound card + amp OR get an DAC/Amp combo...

Fiio makes fairly good dac/amps for decent pricing...u can get the portable one or the desktop one...

I don't know of any set of cans that do not benefit from a good DAC/Amp...it always will...

Try to audition these cans out at a local store if possible before purchasing...

Jul 26, 2012 at 12:54 PM Post #15 of 23
I'd personally stay away from Ultrasone... they definitely have the bass you want but my experience with the HFI 780 and Pro 900 are that, MY GOD they are BRIGHT.  Recordings that are already bright are going to be unbearably so on the Ultrasones.

I did have D2000's at one point, and they had great bass performance.  MUCH more comfortable than Ultrasone (Ultrasone's are uncomfortable as hell) and they didn't make bright recordings unlistenable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back