Looking into headphones!
Dec 7, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #61 of 105
Quote:
You could use the search function, you are not the first one to ask...

I have used the search function...I've tried several tags...but all of the information I'm seeking isn't present in said threads...

IE: I'm trying to find a post as to why people think the lyr is great for the HE-400..or even running the HE-400 on just a Titanium HD, etc.

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:05 AM Post #62 of 105
Quote:
I have used the search function...I've tried several tags...but all of the information I'm seeking isn't present in said threads...

IE: I'm trying to find a post as to why people think the lyr is great for the HE-400..or even running the HE-400 on just a Titanium HD, etc.

Well, 2+2 equals 4, right? The Lyr has tubes, but still got the power of a solid state amp. Tubes mostly make for a good mid range, and according to many reviews, the HE-400 lacks a bit in the mids.
Idk if that is why, but it seems plausible.

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:16 AM Post #63 of 105
http://www.head-fi.org/t/618805/amp-and-dac-for-he-400s
The O2 and ODAC are reasonably priced, but you could make a new thread about it...

Dec 7, 2012 at 7:17 AM Post #64 of 105
The best search words would probably be: he-400 amp

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:19 PM Post #65 of 105
Quote:
The best search words would probably be: he-400 amp

Well...when I search those I see a lot of people recommending the Lyr...but they don't really explain what the benefit of having a Lyr over an Asgard is...they just say it's better..(in regards to the HE-400)

I don't know anything about tube amps or hybrids...only about SS amps...so I don't really know if forking out additional money not just for the hybrid, but tube rolling, would be worth it (eventually planning on getting better headphones).

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:50 PM Post #66 of 105
Quote:
I'll just quote. This is said with reference to my fiio e17 amp, i expect.

Well, the E17 already does a good job powering the DT880.

Quote:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/618805/amp-and-dac-for-he-400s
The O2 and ODAC are reasonably priced, but you could make a new thread about it...

The O2 is a good option, ODAC not so much given that it would bypass the soundcard, therefore negating its usefulness. However, the Asgard would provide better driving power.

Also, the Lyr is quite a bit more expensive than the Asgard, as well as having higher maintenance costs due to replacement tubes. I personally prefer solid state, so I would get the Asgard, at least for midrange cans. For higher end cans, I'd get a Mjolnir and be set for basically all cans outside Stax.

EDIT: However, adjustments would have to be done, due to the balanced topology.

Dec 7, 2012 at 8:39 PM Post #67 of 105
Okay that sounds good. Im hoping that I'll enjoy the HE-400 once I get it. Would really hate to have to return it for not liking how it sounds with my genres. Or for driver issues!

Also...what would you recommend for use with my Samsung S3? The E17?

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #68 of 105
Quote:
Okay that sounds good. Im hoping that I'll enjoy the HE-400 once I get it. Would really hate to have to return it for not liking how it sounds with my genres. Or for driver issues!
Also...what would you recommend for use with my Samsung S3? The E17?

You cant use the dac feature of the e17, so get the e11 instead, if you are planning to get a desktop amp and dac

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM Post #69 of 105
You cant use the dac feature of the e17, so get the e11 instead, if you are planning to get a desktop amp and dac

I don't need a dac for home. I have a titanium HD.

Why couldnt I use the dac feature with my Sansung S3?

You know the S3 is a phone I hope.

That means I need a portable amp/dac for the device. (And I can have my HD & amp for use with my PC)

Looking forward to replies.

Dec 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #70 of 105
Quote:
I don't need a dac for home. I have a titanium HD.
Why couldnt I use the dac feature with my Sansung S3?
You know the S3 is a phone I hope.
That means I need a portable amp/dac for the device. (And I can have my HD & amp for use with my PC)
Looking forward to replies.

The Samsung Galaxy S3, I think that is one of the few cell phones that can be connected with an external DAC.
The new Fiio E07K ($90) or the Fiio E10 ($45) both come with USB input.

Dec 8, 2012 at 3:04 PM Post #72 of 105
Quote:
Hm...what about the E17?
Is that good for the he-400?

I would think for a "portable" headphone amplifier, the E17 would work well with the HE-400.
and you can also use the E17's headphone amplifier with the Titanium HD.

But for good advice on amping the the HE-400, ask on this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-review

Dec 8, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #73 of 105
You could also start with the e17 as your primary amp and upgrading later on...

Dec 8, 2012 at 9:14 PM Post #74 of 105
Quote:
I would think for a "portable" headphone amplifier, the E17 would work well with the HE-400.
and you can also use the E17's headphone amplifier with the Titanium HD.

But for good advice on amping the the HE-400, ask on this thread.
http://www.head-fi.org/t/604583/hifiman-he-400-review

I will. Hopefully I can find a good thread about the S3...seems it isn't compatible with very many DACs/amps..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back