Looking into headphones!
Dec 5, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #31 of 105
Quote:
True, but i guess the principle is the same, since he uses a mix amp and so forth, which essentially does the same as a sound card with dolby digital surround (eg. emulates surround sound in stereo headsets). Correct me if there is anything i missed

So so. The Mixamp basically applies Dolby Headphone and nothing else. PCs can have routed VST effects, CMSS-3D, Dolby Headphone, along with other features that aren't available on non-PC devices.

Dec 5, 2012 at 8:52 AM Post #32 of 105
Quote:

So so. The Mixamp basically applies Dolby Headphone and nothing else. PCs can have routed VST effects, CMSS-3D, Dolby Headphone, along with other features that aren't available on non-PC devices.

Well, I guess the guide still applies, at least to some extend. I am not experienced in using sound cards, but the diff should not be that big because of some extra features?

Dec 5, 2012 at 9:02 AM Post #33 of 105
Quote:
Well, I guess the guide still applies, at least to some extend. I am not experienced in using sound cards, but the diff should not be that big because of some extra features?

Actually, the difference can be massive in terms of end result, both from soundcards having much higher quality components, as well as from individual software's audio renderers used.

But yes, the guide is good for reference.

Dec 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM Post #35 of 105
Quote:
Even the HE4/5's seem tempting now :frowning2:

Start a bit smaller than that, and learn to appreciate good audio i guess? I am still quite new to head-fi anyway, and the he-500 are damn tempting

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #36 of 105
Quote:
Start a bit smaller than that, and learn to appreciate good audio i guess? I am still quite new to head-fi anyway, and the he-500 are damn tempting

A lot of people recommend diving on the deep end and skipping a lot of unnecessary expenses. That can be risky, though.

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #38 of 105
Quote:

A lot of people recommend diving on the deep end and skipping a lot of unnecessary expenses. That can be risky, though.

My worst fear is, that I'll end up with some ultra expensive HP's and can't appreciate them for what they really are
eek.gif

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #39 of 105
Quote:
My worst fear is, that I'll end up with some ultra expensive HP's and can't appreciate them for what they really are
eek.gif

Given that you have DT880s on your sig, I think you wouldn't need to worry about it, you're already (more than) halfway there
wink.gif

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #40 of 105
Quote:

Given that you have DT880s on your sig, I think you wouldn't need to worry about it, you're already (more than) halfway there
wink.gif

Got them exactly 14 days ago, just sayin'. Turn the time approx 3 months back, and i got my hf5, then 1.5 month ago the fiio e17, and i don't like the impact on my wallet btw 
mad.gif

But I'll enjoy, ofc it is worth it 
rolleyes.gif

Edit: Ohh almost forgot, my source of sound be4 traveling into the bisare world of audio, was the logitech g35, which sux compared to pretty much anything above 100$...

Dec 5, 2012 at 5:16 PM Post #41 of 105
Quote:
Got them exactly 14 days ago, just sayin'. Turn the time approx 3 months back, and i got my hf5, then 1.5 month ago the fiio e17, and i don't like the impact on my wallet btw 
mad.gif

But I'll enjoy, ofc it is worth it 
rolleyes.gif

Edit: Ohh almost forgot, my source of sound be4 traveling into the bisare world of audio, was the logitech g35, which sux compared to pretty much anything above 100$...

How are you finding them to perform?

And you took a quite big step, coming from an underperforming USB headset...

Dec 6, 2012 at 3:24 AM Post #42 of 105
Quote:

How are you finding them to perform?

And you took a quite big step, coming from an underperforming USB headset...

Well, the g35 are slow, therefore not much detail. bass is blurring the other freqs, no real subbass, not very extended treble. Also it is a headset for gaming so it isn't made for music anyway.
Still, they are by far better than the apple ibuds, which i also used to own.

The DT-880 are better in every thinkable way. Great, but not amazing soundstage, fairly transparent, seems medium fast. Rather flat freq response, just need a bit of subbass, and the treble spikes can be a bit annoying. IMO there are room for improvements, but until i have heard something better, (except the t1 tesla, which i have heard for like 3 minutes, no proper amplification).

In a week or so, I'll get to try the HE-400 for a week or two, because some generous members/dealers from my national head-fi forum, are lending out equipment 
beyersmile.png

Later on the month I'll get to try the HE-500 too!

Dec 6, 2012 at 11:29 AM Post #43 of 105
Quote:
Well, the g35 are slow, therefore not much detail. bass is blurring the other freqs, no real subbass, not very extended treble. Also it is a headset for gaming so it isn't made for music anyway.
Still, they are by far better than the apple ibuds, which i also used to own.

The DT-880 are better in every thinkable way. Great, but not amazing soundstage, fairly transparent, seems medium fast. Rather flat freq response, just need a bit of subbass, and the treble spikes can be a bit annoying. IMO there are room for improvements, but until i have heard something better, (except the t1 tesla, which i have heard for like 3 minutes, no proper amplification).

In a week or so, I'll get to try the HE-400 for a week or two, because some generous members/dealers from my national head-fi forum, are lending out equipment 
beyersmile.png

Later on the month I'll get to try the HE-500 too!

I was just talking about the DT880, as the G35 clearly underperforms :wink:

Good to see you're bound to get some nice cans soon
L3000.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #44 of 105
Quote:

I was just talking about the DT880, as the G35 clearly underperforms :wink:

Good to see you're bound to get some nice cans soon
L3000.gif

We'll see... Have to convince myself, and after that my mom
eek.gif

But I'll try those two cans at least 
biggrin.gif

Just not with proper amplification though...

Dec 6, 2012 at 1:10 PM Post #45 of 105
Quote:
We'll see... Have to convince myself, and after that my mom
eek.gif

But I'll try those two cans at least 
biggrin.gif

Just not with proper amplification though...

The DT880 already benefit from additional amplification, the HE-400 and HE-500 even moreso.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back