Looking into headphones!
Dec 4, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #16 of 105
Quote:

I'm not too worried about others hearing what I'm listening to. I'm not too worried about sound getting in. My computer runs at sub 30 DBs and there are no other noises in my room. I actually can't even hear any of the fans in my computer, even with no sound in the house and no audio from my pc.

As far as in public...

I imagine if I don't have them turned up very high the leaking wouldn't be bad. I don't need loud music at work. It has to be low enough that I can hear the boss/PA anyways.

I tried to stick to open designs in my desires for the simple fact that they seemed to be less bass driven. You can listen to the songs I listed in my last comment if you want to hear what 80% of my library sounds like.

Oh! I also forgot to mention I watch anime as well. I don't watch movies! (After typing this i've gotten an urge to start collecting blu-rays....don't ask >_>)

I just wish that headphones weren't...well...opinionated when it comes to reviews. I mean...it is audible perception after all; and everybody perceives sound differently. (As in what sounds good or bad)

Edit: I've had vibrations from headsets/headphones too..that's why i specifically mentioned detailed lows. I know there's a difference between overwhelming quantity and good quality when it comes to bass! (There are several examples out there but mainly I'm just referring to the ones that throw so much bass at you to cover up other things that are, imo, more important)

Is there an easy way to find reviews (on this website or others) or specific product information (let's be honest, most merchants don't actually have important information) and what not?

I usually just do a thing like..."site: head-fi.org product name review" to get some results...but I don't always find a full length review.

Makes it harder to look for details when I have to scour the internet :frowning2:.

After looking up the Titanium HD on these forums it looked like most people thought the card wasn't satisfactory...I assume you're just referencing the virtual surround options when you say it's the gaming route?

Unlike image, audio is harder to qualify since different people do hear differently, not to mention how they have different preferences (warm, bright, bass/mid/treble centric, etc).

You can just use the search box on top of the page in order to search for reviews and more.

About the Titanium HD, there are naysayers that simply hopped on the Creative bashing wagon when having little to no experience with the card itself and just repeating outdated info like Creative driver issues, something that no longer happens with current drivers, and especially with all Creative X-Fi Titanium HD drivers. Its sound quality is one of the best regarding internal soundcards, with the Titanium HD and the Essence ST/STX being the best soundcards in terms of sound quality. The Titanium HD just happens to fully support gaming audio in addition to the high quality DAC and components used.

Dec 4, 2012 at 5:46 AM Post #17 of 105
Quote:
bumpety

I'd like to add in addition to the above post that I can honestly buy the stuff at any time. Deciding whether or not to get said sound card is the first and foremost thing that is important to me....Obviously the sound card would benefit games and movies more; but should I just get the sound card, and then later a different amp/dac for music listening...or would the Titanium HD be good enough to power most mid-range ($400-800) headphones?

Didn't see the second post.

Like I said previously, I do recommend you getting a headphone amp to better drive headphones, which would be slightly better for easy to drive headphones but noticeably better for hard to drive headphones. If you get a PA2V2 or Fiio E11, you will be able to drive easier to drive headphones perfectly fine, but if you get an O2 or a Schiit Asgard, you will be able to drive just about all headphones below flagship level.

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:10 PM Post #19 of 105
Quote:
Alrighty. Thank you for the help!

I'll price the headphone amps to get an idea of how much everything will cost!

Nice and yea I think the HE-400s are great. They add the bass the 598s did not have and kept most of the soundstage. The HE-500 may be even better, but I have not had a chance to see or try them. Would love to though. Spend that 600 bucks! can get some really nice headphones with that along with the soundcard and maybe even an amp. 

Dec 4, 2012 at 12:25 PM Post #20 of 105
Quote:
Nice and yea I think the HE-400s are great. They add the bass the 598s did not have and kept most of the soundstage. The HE-500 may be even better, but I have not had a chance to see or try them. Would love to though. Spend that 600 bucks! can get some really nice headphones with that along with the soundcard and maybe even an amp. 

Hopefully somebody who has tried both can give their input! The 598's are looking tempting...

If I were to get something like an HE5 I would definitely pick up that Asgard!

Edit: For the Titanium HD do I want to do 3.5 to RCA for an Asgard, or RCA to RCA?

So far the phones I'm looking at are DT990's, HD 598, or HE 4/5xx.

I guess you truly can't get the best of both worlds.

I've decided I'll get a Titanium HD and Asgard for now...

The headphones remain...and they're the tricky part :frowning2:

Does anybody have a personal experience with the 598's and HE500?

Dec 4, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #21 of 105
Quote:
Hopefully somebody who has tried both can give their input! The 598's are looking tempting...

If I were to get something like an HE5 I would definitely pick up that Asgard!

Edit: For the Titanium HD do I want to do 3.5 to RCA for an Asgard, or RCA to RCA?

So far the phones I'm looking at are DT990's, HD 598, or HE 4/5xx.

I guess you truly can't get the best of both worlds.

I've decided I'll get a Titanium HD and Asgard for now...

The headphones remain...and they're the tricky part :frowning2:

Does anybody have a personal experience with the 598's and HE500?

Well this review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/588498/a-failing-audiophiles-impressions-of-the-hifiman-he-500
says soundstaging is just ok and that gaming is decent on them. I dont think its worth the money for gaming at least. But you do listen to a lot of music so if you want something a little more fun to listen to I would say he-400 over the 598s. Love my 598s but the he-400 gets more overall use for music while my 598s are used for gaming. 

for asgard to the titanium hd I use rca to rca. I could give the 3.5 to rca a try but i'm fine with how it is. 

cheers

Dec 5, 2012 at 2:58 AM Post #22 of 105
Quote:
Well this review here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/588498/a-failing-audiophiles-impressions-of-the-hifiman-he-500
says soundstaging is just ok and that gaming is decent on them. I dont think its worth the money for gaming at least. But you do listen to a lot of music so if you want something a little more fun to listen to I would say he-400 over the 598s. Love my 598s but the he-400 gets more overall use for music while my 598s are used for gaming. 

for asgard to the titanium hd I use rca to rca. I could give the 3.5 to rca a try but i'm fine with how it is. 

cheers

Well...I honestly can hear where shots and enemy footsteps come from with even a $30 pair of headphones...so I guess gaming really shouldn't be a primary concern. Let's just eliminate competitive and go with headphones for my listed genres of music and immersive gaming. What would you pick then?

I had a long time to think about it while at work...(10 hours a day..oh boy..) and I honestly think competitive gaming shouldn't be a concern for me.

Thanks for your help so far...My choices are starting to narrow down!

Gonna do some more investigation before I go to bed :).

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:29 AM Post #23 of 105
Quote:
Well...I honestly can hear where shots and enemy footsteps come from with even a $30 pair of headphones...so I guess gaming really shouldn't be a primary concern. Let's just eliminate competitive and go with headphones for my listed genres of music and immersive gaming. What would you pick then?

I had a long time to think about it while at work...(10 hours a day..oh boy..) and I honestly think competitive gaming shouldn't be a concern for me.

Thanks for your help so far...My choices are starting to narrow down!

Gonna do some more investigation before I go to bed :).

Well it seems you like a variety of music, I would say HE-400 or hd650. HE-400 is my favorite headphone. Many believe that Grados are great for rock etc, however I don't have any experience with grado personally and probably will never own a pair due to my love of bass. From your earlier post, I would probably say he400 is to much bass so maybe the 650s, some grados, or  akg701s. Don't take my word on it though. Hopefully someone more into the mids and highs with rock can suggest a headphone with more attack which is what I believe your music would need. 

sorry I could not help more,

cheers

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:33 AM Post #24 of 105
Quote:
Well it seems you like a variety of music, I would say HE-400 or hd650. HE-400 is my favorite headphone. Many believe that Grados are great for rock etc, however I don't have any experience with grado personally and probably will never own a pair due to my love of bass. From your earlier post, I would probably say he400 is to much bass so maybe the 650s, some grados, or  akg701s. Don't take my word on it though. Hopefully someone more into the mids and highs with rock can suggest a headphone with more attack which is what I believe your music would need. 

sorry I could not help more,

cheers

Don't worry about it. You've been a great help so far and I greatly appreciate it. =).

I have been hoping somebody more into the mids and highs would come along! I think they're hiding from me :frowning2:.

Dec 5, 2012 at 3:48 AM Post #25 of 105
Quote:
Don't worry about it. You've been a great help so far and I greatly appreciate it. =).

I have been hoping somebody more into the mids and highs would come along! I think they're hiding from me :frowning2:.

I love my 558's - like 598s but massively cheaper... I use them for gaming as well as music for ~ 6-10 hrs a day. I can hear fairly positional audio, primarily CS:S, Borderlands 2 and L4D2, all needing sonic accuracy. Mids and Highs are rather nice, even at stratospheric volume levels and I'm using an ancient Sound Blaster Audigy.
Happy as a pig in poop. 

Dec 5, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #26 of 105
I wouldnt mind trying both out but Ive heard the DT990 sounds way better with a tube amp (cant afford both).

Thank you for your input. Maybe my hopes for a pair of headphones similar to the 598 but with more bass is a waste of searching.

Dec 5, 2012 at 7:11 AM Post #27 of 105
There is a thread on gaming and HP's somewhere on head-fi. Based on that thread i can recommend Audio technica ATH-AD900 or the AKG k701.
Also a sound card is a must if you are gaming

Dec 5, 2012 at 7:12 AM Post #28 of 105
Here you go
biggrin.gif
: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-11-12-12-sennheiser-hd650-added

Dec 5, 2012 at 7:14 AM Post #29 of 105
Quote:
Here you go
biggrin.gif
: http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-11-12-12-sennheiser-hd650-added

While that thread can be used as reference, it should be noted the OP of that thread does console gaming, which limits processing features and audio hardware used.

Many people seem to forget PC gaming and console gaming are rather different.

Dec 5, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #30 of 105
Quote:

While that thread can be used as reference, it should be noted the OP of that thread does console gaming, which limits processing features and audio hardware used.

Many people seem to forget PC gaming and console gaming are rather different.

True, but i guess the principle is the same, since he uses a mix amp and so forth, which essentially does the same as a sound card with dolby digital surround (eg. emulates surround sound in stereo headsets). Correct me if there is anything i missed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back