Looking for the last headphones I will ever buy.
Jul 6, 2011 at 1:16 AM Post #16 of 45
Forget the closed headphones. I listen to open ones with the AC running and it's fine.

What your equipment and musical taste are calling out for is the Grado RS-1. Find a used one for around $500 and be done with it. The RS-1 is the best in production Grado. Once you hear one with your music, you won't want anything else.

Jul 6, 2011 at 1:28 AM Post #17 of 45
When looking for the last headphones you will ever buy, the only ears you can trust are your own. Everybody has an opinion, and while those opinions are handy in guaging what a headphone will sound like, you can only ever know for sure if you will actually like a pair of headphones is by listening yourself. So find some way to trial at least some of the front running options, because otherwise you will be left wondering what else is out there.

Jul 6, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #19 of 45

Quote:
Forget the closed headphones. I listen to open ones with the AC running and it's fine.

What your equipment and musical taste are calling out for is the Grado RS-1. Find a used one for around $500 and be done with it. The RS-1 is the best in production Grado. Once you hear one with your music, you won't want anything else.

Does this also apply to the RS-1i?

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #20 of 45
I would say do your research, listen to as many of your options as possible, make your decision, and never again read anything about headphones. If you don't know what's available, you can't wish you had them.

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #21 of 45
Quote:
I would say do your research, listen to as many of your options as possible, make your decision, and never again read anything about headphones. If you don't know what's available, you can't wish you had them.

This.

Or you could get the SR-009 with something like a BHSE, which would in turn leave you with no more money to buy any more headphones, now that's what I call a win-win.

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:38 AM Post #22 of 45

Quote:
This.

Or you could get the SR-009 with something like a BHSE, which would in turn leave you with no more money to buy any more headphones, now that's what I call a win-win.

Yea but even that isn't going to fit everyone due to the bass. I know it wouldn't work for me. Really all you can do is as roadcykler said, try as much as you can, decide as best you can, and run far far away, because it will never end otherwise.

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:48 AM Post #23 of 45

Quote:
Yea but even that isn't going to fit everyone due to the bass. I know it wouldn't work for me. Really all you can do is as roadcykler said, try as much as you can, decide as best you can, and run far far away, because it will never end otherwise.

I read the 009 is an improvement on the 007 in almost every aspect and the 007 through a Blue Hawaii had excellent sonic and visceral bass. But anyways, Stax=sex. Do you not like sex?

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #24 of 45

Quote:

I read the 009 is an improvement on the 007 in almost every aspect and the 007 through a Blue Hawaii had excellent sonic and visceral bass. But anyways, Stax=sex. Do you not like sex?

I've talked to many people who have heard high end stax and the cans that I have. They tell me that stax sound blissful for the kind of music that I do not listen to much (Acoustic, Classical, lighter stuff in general) but NOT for Metal, and I had several straight up tell me that about the O2 and 007 in particular.This has mostly to do with the bass. I can't be sure, but because I can't test them and buying them and reselling/returning them is much more of a hassle than dynamics/orthos, I'll take their word for it.

Jul 6, 2011 at 2:58 AM Post #25 of 45
Quote:

I'd have to agree, the high end Stax are another story when it comes to bass. I've had the O2 and the LCD-2 side by side many times, both are equally satisfying in the bass department. And while the LCD-2 does indeed have more presence/slam, the O2 doesn't need to hide behind the sissy audiophile 'what it lacks in slam makes up for in blablabla', no, the O2 is right up the LCD-2's trumpet.

If anything, the sheer contrast between the O2's effortless midrange and it's bass slam makes for an oddly satisfying experience.

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #26 of 45

Quote:
I'd have to agree, the high end Stax are another story when it comes to bass. I've had the O2 and the LCD-2 side by side many times, both are equally satisfying in the bass department. And while the LCD-2 does indeed have more presence/slam, the O2 doesn't need to hide behind the sissy audiophile 'what it lacks in slam makes up for in blablabla', no, the O2 is right up the LCD-2's trumpet.

If anything, the sheer contrast between the O2's effortless midrange and it's bass slam makes for an oddly satisfying experience.

So with effortless midrange and bass slam, what happens to the highs?

Jul 6, 2011 at 3:21 AM Post #28 of 45
Ultrasone PRO900. +/- Kees mod

Quote:
Hello.

Like the title says, I am looking for the last headphones I will ever buy.

I don't have a set budget, because I would rather spend what it takes to be completely satisfied than have to spend even more later. I certainly prefer not to spend more than necessary, though. (And under $1000 would be nice.)
If needed, I can save up for several months.

I really need closed, because there is a lot of background noise in my house (especially from the A/C.)

I am currently using a CD changer with a headphone output as a source, and will probably stick to that arrangement as I prefer one box to several. I might get a better one, though (Marantz 5004 is said to have an excellent headphone output.)

I like my A900s (especially the comfort, soundstage, and bass) but some have said that there are much better closed phones out there. I would like to know what those are.

My taste in music is quite eclectic, but slightly favors indie rock (Radiohead, Bat For Lashes, Fleet Foxes, and TV on the Radio are among my current favorites.)

My default choice is the W5000, so I guess I need to first know if those fall into the "about as good as it gets" category or not. If not, I am open to suggestions.

Is that enough information?

Thanks in advance!

Jul 6, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #29 of 45
This is maybe my future last cans not for OP. The Ah d7000 can be had new in sealed box for around $700.00 to $749.00 shipped from an authorized dealer.

As I have stated carefully, that I love Apogee and Martin Logan speakers but Ortho cans are not my cup of tea. Also the LCD2 while highly respected here and the HE 500 get good reviews, I'd rather stay with dynamic cans due to my music and listening preference when I use headphones. For critical listening, I use my big rig. YMMV

Jul 6, 2011 at 9:47 AM Post #30 of 45

Since the OP wants to stick with his Marantz CDP which I believe it has the variable output control, I really want to advise the OP to audition only the low impedance cans ( 32 OHm,,,,). This is crucial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back