Looking for the last headphones I will ever buy.
Jul 5, 2011 at 7:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

catsndogs

Head-Fier
Hello.

Like the title says, I am looking for the last headphones I will ever buy.

I don't have a set budget, because I would rather spend what it takes to be completely satisfied than have to spend even more later. I certainly prefer not to spend more than necessary, though. (And under $1000 would be nice.)
If needed, I can save up for several months.

I really need closed, because there is a lot of background noise in my house (especially from the A/C.)

I am currently using a CD changer with a headphone output as a source, and will probably stick to that arrangement as I prefer one box to several. I might get a better one, though (Marantz 5004 is said to have an excellent headphone output.)

I like my A900s (especially the comfort, soundstage, and bass) but some have said that there are much better closed phones out there. I would like to know what those are.

My taste in music is quite eclectic, but slightly favors indie rock (Radiohead, Bat For Lashes, Fleet Foxes, and TV on the Radio are among my current favorites.)

My default choice is the W5000, so I guess I need to first know if those fall into the "about as good as it gets" category or not. If not, I am open to suggestions.

Is that enough information?

Thanks in advance!

Jul 5, 2011 at 8:29 PM Post #2 of 45
HI,

I'm sorry but I had to smile a bit when I read your title. If you look at many of Head-fi'er's profiles, including my own, you'll see a long list of present and past headphones. I don't know how many times I've read/heard us crazies say it would be their last headphone. Until they get another. :)

That said, I just ordered the Shure 940 that's said to perform well above it's price. The Denon D700 has many happy owners. Are IEMs an option? Beyerdynamic is coming out with a new closed flagship. What sound signature are you looking for?

Good luck

Jul 5, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #7 of 45
Yes if IEM's are an option you might want to demo the JH-13's. I liked them very much when I had some time with them, though not as much as the 16's.

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:01 AM Post #10 of 45
I bought the W5000 as my last stop but then  piggy back the AH a100 and call it quit for now.

If you have $1k to spend , the Denon AH a100 special edition for under $400.00 new in box would be another deal that you will not regret of you like the Denon sound.

or the w5000 for $749.00 new in box . Again, if you like AT sound signature.

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #11 of 45
As much as I like ribbon/ plannar ( Apogee, Eminent Technology) and Electrostatic Quasi-dipolar like Martin Logan speakers.....They are great technology but for HPs, I prefer dynamic cans since  the limited sound stage due to structure and design of HPs all the Stax Audeze ar great but price to performance ratio ain't justify enough for me, this may be my really last stop.

The Denon AH- D 7000

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:28 AM Post #12 of 45
Unless you suddenly have no money or no more interest in audio, it's not going to happen, and certainly not at your budget. I think we've all thought a headphone would be our last. I've purchased around 15 since that one.

Jul 6, 2011 at 12:30 AM Post #13 of 45

Quote:
As much as I like ribbon/ plannar ( Apogee, Eminent Technology) and Electrostatic Quasi-dipolar like Martin Logan speakers.....They are great technology but for HPs, I prefer dynamic cans since  the limited sound stage due to structure and design of HPs all the Stax Audeze ar great but price to performance ratio ain't justify enough for me, this may be my really last stop.

The Denon AH- D 7000

The HE500 and LCD-2 price-performance ratio doesn't satisfy you but the D7000's does?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back