Looking for something slightly brighter than the LCD-2
Mar 28, 2011 at 8:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

LiqTenExp

100+ Head-Fier
Hey,

I spent some time today with the LCD-2s.  It had some of the best mids and lows I've heard out of a headphone.  The highs were just a little too dark and recessed for me.  They were even using some fancy cables (silver dragon) that were supposed help in that area (lets not start a cable discussion please, I am not suggesting that I heard a difference in the stock vs these cables).  

I am comparing them to my DT990-600 right now which are definitely on the bright side.  If I could blend them together this would yield to my ears the ultimate headphone.

Anyone in the same boat as me?  Any suggestions?  I have one from a friend, HE-5LE.  I heard some prototypes at a meet and  thought they sounded good but wish I had some other options out there.

Thanks!

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:43 PM Post #3 of 16
That is an option, and may be what I wind up doing.  I am totally open to suggestions though.  There have been a lot of LCD-2 for sale and I am kinda wondering what people have moved on to if they had the same opinion of their sound as I do.

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 16

Quote:
Does the Sennheiser HD-800 interest you?

HD800 can't reproduce the lows of LCD-2, so it's not like it can add brightness and maintain everything else about the LCD-2. The LCD-2 really is unique in its low frequency response, and I don't think there are anything on the market right now that matches the LCD-2 in every aspect while adding some brightness. I just EQ it a bit, and that does the trick for me.

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #9 of 16
You won't find anything comparable to the LCD's (I am talking about character here and not sound quality).

If you like what they do then I would recommend searching for am amp that can bring forward the highs a bit more. With my Woo6se the LCD's are not dark but are not as bright as many phones.

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #12 of 16
Every single review of the HE-6 has stated that its bass doesn't quite match the LCD-2.

No it doesn't, but it does resemble it more than the HD800s and does have among the very best treble I've heard. So to answer the OP's question, if you're looking for a brighter LCD-2, the HE-6s is a very strong candidate.

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:38 PM Post #13 of 16
I'll let those with both comment on the differences but bass on the HE-6 is not as dominant in presentation. I like them better but I'm using two 125 wpc amps.
basshead.gif

I was entranced by the bass of the LCD-2 but bass was main stage, making the highs/micro details seem recessed. If bass is the top consideration, you can balance the highs with a recable, source and amp.

If you try the HE-6, you will need a speaker amp for the best sonic results. If you want to stay with your headphone amps, the HE-6p.

Mar 29, 2011 at 9:43 PM Post #14 of 16
I'll let those with both comment on the differences but bass on the HE-6 is not as dominant in presentation.

Isn't that what I said? It is more LCD-2 like in the bass department than the HD800s though. :smile:

I do agree with your statement completely FWIW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back