Looking for some new headphones while steering clear of beats
Oct 25, 2012 at 1:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Deathburger

New Head-Fier
Hey everbody, I'm looking for some good headphones and this seems to be the place to go. I've been looking in the $100-$200 range pricewise. 
After reading some reviews around here I think im most interested in the audiotechnica ath ad700's or the ad 900's. Although I'm not sure if the 900's are worth the extra 100 dollar price jump. 

I will be mostly using them for home use, I have earbuds for my ipod when i'm on the go. These will be used with a home stereo system I have, since the speakers are often too loud to be used. I listen to a lot of indie rock, and alt rock so heavy bass isnt super important to me. But it would be nice for it to have some substance in them because I will be listening to some electronica from time to time. 

Any input you guys have would be great!

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:29 PM Post #2 of 8
Quote:
Hey everybody, I'm looking for some good headphones and this seems to be the place to go. I've been looking in the $100-$200 range pricewise. 
After reading some reviews around here I think im most interested in the Audio Technica ATH-AD700's or the ATH-AD900's. Although I'm not sure if the ATH-AD900's are worth the extra 100 dollar price jump. 

I will be mostly using them for home use, I have earbuds for my iPod when I'm on the go. These will be used with a home stereo system I have, since the speakers are often too loud to be used. I listen to a lot of indie rock, and alt rock so heavy bass isn't super important to me. But it would be nice for it to have some substance in them because I will be listening to some electronica from time to time.

Beyerdynamic DT880 Pro 250-Ohm headphone.
Chance's are the headphone output on the home stereo system will have a high impedance (resistance, measured in Ohms).
The 250-Ohm headphone should do better with the home stereo system, then 40-Ohm headphones like the ATH-AD900.
The iPod would be better for driving low Ohm headphones like the ATH-AD700/AD900.

Oct 25, 2012 at 1:55 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
The home stereo is rig driver by a 650 watt pioneer A/V Reciever. Would that make a difference?

Nope, I would still recommend the same.
Receivers use the same amplifier that powers the speakers, to drive headphones.
So so lots of juice for driving high Ohm headphones.
I can drive my Audio Technica ATH-A900Xs (40-Ohm) from my Yamaha RX-X671 receiver, but my A900Xs can never really get that loud hooked to the Yamaha.
My DT880 Pro 250-Ohm scale better.

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #5 of 8
Thanks, are there any similar headphones that are open as opposed to closed cans? Im interested in the idea of thw instrument separation and huge soundstage of open phones. They're also just above my price range but i could work out the extra money if theyre worth it

Oct 26, 2012 at 11:57 AM Post #7 of 8
Quote:
Thanks, are there any similar headphones that are open as opposed to closed cans? Im interested in the idea of thw instrument separation and huge soundstage of open phones. They're also just above my price range but i could work out the extra money if theyre worth it

Heya,

Sony MA900
Beyer DT880 PRO 250ohm
AKG Q701

Very best,

Oct 26, 2012 at 12:02 PM Post #8 of 8
Soundmagic HP100 are closed with a good sounstage, HP200 are open with a great soudstage and both have excellent sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back