Looking for some new headphones for piano primarily
Oct 19, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #16 of 33
The Beyerdynamic DT48 is wonderful for piano. They run a bit over $300 new, but I've found used ones for $75-$125. Read the DT48 threads; you might be happy with one.

I also recommend the AKG K-501 and K-240DF. Both discontinued, but you'll find them used in your price range. Both are excellent.

Also consider a used Sennheiser HD-600. They turn up around $200.

I've owned all four. I keep the DT48 and K-240DF. The HD-600 and K-501 were sold to help pay for the HD-800. The HD-800 is better than the HD-600 and the K-501's sound signature is retained and bettered in the K-1000 which I kept. The HD-800 and K-1000 are sublime, but outside your budget. If you ever get the itch to upgrade, I highly recommend both.

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:21 AM Post #17 of 33
Sorry I was just n a bad mod from being flamed really bad in another thread. No disrespect intended. And it's the "Are you serious?" guy.

Quote:
No offense was intended. It was simply a general response intended to be helpful as I thought at least one new poster may not have noticed the original information, found in post 3.

I'm aware you already provided several very helpful replies 
wink_face.gif
 However, I don't understand the impressive cartoon picture - what information does this convey?

My sole interest in this thread is that I also play piano. Used to be a grand piano, now digital. Occasionally I plug in one or other 'phones too, to spare my partner from hearing me repeat the same passages for hours and hours!

Oct 19, 2011 at 12:59 PM Post #18 of 33
I'll be plugging directly into my Casio PS 20

I looked at the headphones I'm currently using and they're Sennheiser HD 202. These are closed, and the main reason I started looking at new headphones was to get something that both sounded better and blocked out surrounding noise better. This is kind of making me wonder if I should reconsider noise-cancelling but that's a whole new area of research (which I'll start doing asap). So far noise-cancelling headphones just go against my morals, but if I read enough good reviews that might change. I've tried a pair once (don't remember model) and there was a constant buzz when noise cancelling was on that would definitely not work for practicing piano. Also I don't have good feeling about mixing classical music and noise-cancelling but that's just feeling.

I'm also going to going to start looking for places to try some high quality ones on. I figure if I do decide to go for more expensive ones I should probably try them first. If anyone knows good places near Salem/Portland Oregon I'd be happy to hear about them. I saw that there's a meet up section but it doesn't look like there's anything close by soon.

Oct 19, 2011 at 1:35 PM Post #19 of 33

No problem, thanks for the explanation. Believe me I understand, having also encountered flaming from time to time in this forum 
wink_face.gif

I hope Sentient finds the right 'phone - lots of choices I think, though not the ones I first had in mind (too $).
Quote:
SUBMIT
Sorry I was just n a bad mod from being flamed really bad in another thread. No disrespect intended. And it's the "Are you serious?" guy. 

Oct 19, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #20 of 33
Well, I've narrowed down a few choices. I'm sure I don't want noise cancelling, seeing as the main reason I wanted them was for reasons that they don't seem to be constructed (loud tv/people/music, seems like they are meant for airplanes more). I am also pretty sure I want closed with at least some isolation, that crosses out a few that had been my favorites up until now.

These are beginning to look pretty good in the few reviews I read: Fischer Audio FA-003. They're closed, good isolation, they're said to sound openish and good with classical music. Plus I like the word Fischer.

Oct 19, 2011 at 7:45 PM Post #21 of 33
Sentient - you might also consider a Sony MDR-V6 or MDR-7506.

These are the consumer and professional version of Sony's "standard" Studio Montiors that get used in recording studios all over the world every day.
These are both closed back phones, so you will get the sound isolation you desire.
They both come with a standard adaptor that unscrews to reveal a mini-plug underneath, so they support most headphone use cases.
They sound better than average for their price and they're fairly accurate.

I own both, and coincidentally use them when practicing on a Yamaha Digital Grand Piano.

You can easily find the MDR-V6 for $66 USD or the MDR-7506 for $85 USD.
I'm not implying that these are your absolute best choice (you've got lots of good choices in this price range), but they're another choice to consider.

Go read some reviews, or better yet listen to a pair.

Oct 19, 2011 at 9:20 PM Post #23 of 33

Quote:
These are beginning to look pretty good in the few reviews I read: Fischer Audio FA-003. They're closed, good isolation, they're said to sound openish and good with classical music. Plus I like the word Fischer.

The FA-003 would be a VERY good choice. I forgot about those.

Oct 19, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #24 of 33
Superlux HD-662F or HD-669

Oct 20, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #25 of 33

Quote:
The FA-003 would be a VERY good choice. I forgot about those.

Well, I think I'm going to them. I've read up to page 31 of this thread and I'm 100% sold. I think I'll be buying these tonight. They sound exactly like what I want, down to every single detail. However, I have this strong feeling these won't be the last pair of headphones I'll be buying...

Thanks to everyone for the input! Even if I didn't respond, I checked out every item someone mentioned here so thanks for giving the choices. This is going to be by far the most eagerly anticipated item I have bought ever (well maybe not so much ahead of the first computer I built from scratch, but the headphones are still ahead). 

Oct 20, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #27 of 33
Wapiti is right! As you play classical, you practice on a 'real' piano too?

Anyway, do let us know how it works out for you - look forward to your impressions soon 
popcorn.gif

Oct 20, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #28 of 33

Quote:
Wapiti is right! As you play classical, you practice on a 'real' piano too?

Anyway, do let us know how it works out for you - look forward to your impressions soon 
popcorn.gif

Yeah, I have access to a decent (albeit old and showing signs of it) baby grand that I play pretty often. My home digital piano is more my 2nd choice and convenient choice seeing as the baby grand is twenty minutes away. 

And I just learned that the FA-002w is the same as the FA-003.. now I have a choice to make because I really like the look of the wooden cups.

Oct 20, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #29 of 33

Quote:
Yeah, I have access to a decent (albeit old and showing signs of it) baby grand that I play pretty often. My home digital piano is more my 2nd choice and convenient choice seeing as the baby grand is twenty minutes away. 

Very understandable.  Plus good digital pianos have a decent key weight and feel.  Not the same as a piano but it helps.

Play away!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back